The Practice of Selling NN as Brand New.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Re: The Practice of Selling NN as Brand New.

Post by Foxman50 »

While not strictly NN, I complained to ebay recently regards a seller advertising a CW watch as new, unmarked and worn twice. The watch bezel was clearly marked which was bad enough as it is.

However after searching the sold listings the same watch had been sold by another seller a couple of months previously. This seller had been genuine enough to mention the marks, but the watch sold to another buyer and not the person now selling the watch.

So not only was this seller selling as new and worn a couple of times, but they were actually at least the 3rd owner with no idea of its history. The auction was taken down but soon reappeared with the same as new sale, the watch sold.

I’m shocked to find this sort of behaviour on ebay.

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:14 pm
I don’t use eBay myself at all, so I wouldn’t understand the structure, but as Paul says above – is there a REPORT button?
It is possible to report, but only in a limited format from drop-downs. Not ideal unless you think such practice fraudulent, which strictly speaking it is, but I doubt that ebay would consider it so.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

H0rati0 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:47 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:14 pm
I don’t use eBay myself at all, so I wouldn’t understand the structure, but as Paul says above – is there a REPORT button?
It is possible to report, but only in a limited format from drop-downs. Not ideal unless you think such practice fraudulent, which strictly speaking it is, but I doubt that ebay would consider it so.
Actually it is possible to report outside the drop menu, which is totally unsuitable, you just google, other search engines are available, it

A1soknownas
Senior
Senior

Post by A1soknownas »

Ebay will always present a risk when buying which is why it is so important to assess the seller as much as the product and description.

I can understand why sellers would take the chance to sell as 'new condition' rather than nearly new as often a difference can not be seen.

The benefit is usually that for the risk you get better value but many are sales watches that are often more expensive than they were from CW!

Maybe CW could identify on the warranty details that it is NN which would solve this. This however would not be beneficial for them or the regular purchaser so I can't see it happening just to address ebay issues.

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Foxman50 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:37 pm

I’m shocked to find this sort of behaviour on ebay.
Me too :megaeek:

As Joe Jackson sang: "They wouldn't print it if it wasn't true"
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by TheBeatles »

A1soknownas wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Maybe CW could identify on the warranty details that it is NN which would solve this. This however would not be beneficial for them or the regular purchaser so I can't see it happening just to address ebay issues.
I think NN watches have a serial/reference number on warranty card beginning with “NN”
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels - Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love - The Beatles

Fat-Sam
Senior
Senior

Post by Fat-Sam »

I orefer how they offer to list it on Chrono24 where you have “new” and “unworn” as separate categories and you can choose whether you want to select either or both. I got an unworn (fully stickered) speedy pro from an AD, that was a month into its warranty. Could have been an unwanted gift or returned for any reason but it enabled me to get a 30% discount.

Listing practices on eBay are notoriously vague/dishonest/incorrect and reporting is far more complicated than it needs to be using the drop down. I notice someone above says you can do it another way but it shouldn’t be hard to report wrong listings if they want a good Honest marketplace

The habit of
I never had the makings of a varsity athlete...
CW Dartmouth (blue)
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961 (Gold)
Omega Speedmaster 2018 (Mitsukoshi Panda dial)
DIY Watch Club Diver (black)
Raymond Weil Toccata (white/copper)
G shock GW-M5610 (black out)

jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

I have three points

1. "Fat Sam " is a fine looking woman, and i shudder to think what "fat" really is judging by that profile picture

2. I saw on ebay a watch clearly being sold for a profit that would have been purchased at the 50% price off recently, so I bid a price about £50 cheaper than they bought it for, which really would be a profit for him as some of his purchase price would have been VAT, so with the VAT off the price he paid, he would only have lost £20, and he would have made some of that back from the £15 postage he wanted. If people are greedy and out to try and make a fast buck, don't be offended if people see that, and take the pi** back.

3. Unless CW sort out my sons watch he bought recently, and get it back to him asap, there will be another CW NN watch on sale. He is not so far impressed with the customer service. Shame as he really liked the watch
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side

scooter
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

If Ebay took to task every item that was flawed by description on their site in some way or another, there wouldn't be much left.

Reporting it would be a total waste of your time.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)

exHowfener

Post by exHowfener »

Well, how new is a 'new' watch? Or anything else come to that. I can't see that the presence of a full 60/60 is definitive. I'm sure that I've seen "archive" watches being sold by CW (the FDU1 watches sold earlier this year for example) that I assume came with a full 60/60 warranty, but they were hardly 'new'. Anything manufactures is only 'new' at the point of completion, by the time they reach the first purchaser quite some time may have elapsed. If you buy a 'new' car that was made in Japan or South Korea how new is it by the time it's been shipped half way round the world? Warranties start at the point of sale, not date of manufacture.

Just from the exchanges here, it clear that there are different opinions on what constitutes Been a while since I've sold anything on ebay but I'm sure that they have a "new (other) category new.which may be a more honest description.

Sellers descriptions are notoriously subjective, even when you can physically touch the item. I once viewed a Land Rover steel bulkhead that the vendor verbally told me was in "excellent condition" As I could (and did) put my fist through a rust hole in it I had to disagree with his opinion ...
I was just glad I wasn't dealing with him mail order. Caveat emptor indeed.

brash47
Senior
Senior

Post by brash47 »

We live in a world where people have their own values. We can't control what they do. When we realize these things and know we have no control how those folks act, barring having to report criminal behavior (which this topic is not remotely close to) then its best to just let it go.

We all live in what I like to call the F*** Bucket. That bucket has 4 levels.

1. F*** me.....I'm a victim, people are getting over, I can't get ahead...

2. F*** you.....you are the reason I can't get what I want in life, you are bad, you cause me pain

3. F*** it....I know I can't control what other people do, how they act and it has no bearing on my life

4. F*** Yeah!...I'm in control of me and my situation. I realize I don't control how people act but I can help influence maybe. But in the end, if I see adversity I hit it head on....for me.

Worrying about some dude on ebay is living in 1 and 2 of the F*** bucket. It has no bearing on your life. But you're concerned because you can't get to the point of 3 and 4.

Stop worrying about what people on ebay are doing. Worry about what you control and you won't be stressed out and worrying about how you can talk a corporation into trying to f*** one guy and how he does business.

Life has enough stress.....the guy on ebay literally should not even factor in to a daily thought.

Elite mindset.....3 and 4.....live there and lose some stress.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

laubscm

Post by laubscm »

👆Good advice.

A1soknownas
Senior
Senior

Post by A1soknownas »

laubscm wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:55 pm
👆Good advice.
I don't think it is but then again I may not have an elite mindset!

Not everything has to fit in the 4 prescribed buckets...and I am not sure it quite fits directly into the context of a simple discussion about whether people should mislead others with the way they sell things - and what peoples thoughts may be.

Surely I can care without meaning that I am stressed or worried by something. I would rather care, try and take action to change things and not necessarily for my own benefit but also for others. I would rather try and fail than to ignore something I feel is not right. I would see that as elite in an alternative way but we all have different values and aims.

What you can guarantee though is that those selling nearly new as new are in the elite :lol:

kiter65
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by kiter65 »

Going off on a tangent....I’ve learnt more about the human race the last 5 months than I have over the past 54 years, worked in the motor trade for 30 years...last 8 in retail so I like to think I have a decent knowledge of customer service. Have not stopped working since lockdown and in the past 5 months I have been threatened, abused, shouted at more than I have ever before :( and all I do is sell DIY products.....so if you are expecting people to be honest and decent on selling something on eBay you are living in a fantasy world :? The general public are beyond saving :(

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

kiter65 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:22 pm
Going off on a tangent....I’ve learnt more about the human race the last 5 months than I have over the past 54 years, worked in the motor trade for 30 years...last 8 in retail so I like to think I have a decent knowledge of customer service. Have not stopped working since lockdown and in the past 5 months I have been threatened, abused, shouted at more than I have ever before :( and all I do is sell DIY products.....so if you are expecting people to be honest and decent on selling something on eBay you are living in a fantasy world :? The general public are beyond saving :(
That rhymes with me too. Growing long in the tooth, these days I am not surprised by anything that people do, just mostly disappointed, though there are exceptions that keep me from total despair.