C7 Apex Ltd Edition...advice.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Gar787

Re: C7 Apex Ltd Edition...advice.

Post by Gar787 »

Yes I’d read that on another post. I’m still puzzled as to why 00/50 was the last one to go...then, when purchased, it was knackered.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

A watch numbered 00, 000 or 0000 are pre production prototypes. Original prototypes do not have any numerical designation. These are the first ones built to insure that that all specs etc have been met before actual production begins. They do not count toward production numbers and are usually held until a closed series is sold out or an open series is well into production before being sold.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Gar787

Post by Gar787 »

Thanks for that Kip. I’d specifically asked CW about this and was told ‘In regards to the serial number, it is the 1st watch that was made. It’s not a prototype (as these historically do not have serial numbers on them.) As a limited edition piece we often start them at 00.’ If this is the case, there should be no 50/50 in circulation but if you are correct I’m left wondering how many of these 00’s are around and does that compromise the ‘Limited Edition of only 50’ claim?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

If a series is an LE of 50 pieces (or whatever) there will be watches numbered from 1-50.

The Pre Production prototypes are the ones that are put thru final inspection for any last minute flaws or changes etc. to be made to production. Most times there is only one, but sometimes can be more. Particularly with an open series.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Not specific to this model because I know CW have a habit of doing this, but how a company can create, advertise and sell a basket of limited edition watches and then sell more than the advertised production run just seems wrong to me.

If for example the production run is 50 and more than 50 are sold it's a mockery of having a limited edition. I believe I'm right in saying we've had watches sold with no number, with 0, 00, 000 and 0000 in the past.

I'm not suggesting that CW are deliberately churning out more of a popular LE with a pre-production number to get away with it, but it's possible 50 could become 55, with several having the same 0/00/000/0000 numbers on.

I think it's fair enough to sell off prototypes that are one off's (whether they are numbered or not) and I guess it's less of an issue if you are creating a limited edition of say 316 pieces, but when it's very low numbers and at a much higher price point it's a bit iffy imho.
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Casio, Citizen, Eterna, Hamilton, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Timex, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris
monkeymax
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

It's a tricky thing though; they need to create pre-production samples as any design/engineering firm does, just to check what is on paper/computer screen comes out the same in real life. It's the same with cars (even very limited editions). The difference is those are usually scrapped - which may be the solution here. But then (as in the car world) people would say how sad that is and what a waste it is too, and so CW would get stick for that instead!
what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

monkeymax wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:35 pm
It's a tricky thing though; they need to create pre-production samples as any design/engineering firm does, just to check what is on paper/computer screen comes out the same in real life. It's the same with cars (even very limited editions). The difference is those are usually scrapped - which may be the solution here. But then (as in the car world) people would say how sad that is and what a waste it is too, and so CW would get stick for that instead!
Totally understand what you are saying, but if it's a numbered edition you sell the number produced/advertised - any surplus should be either destroyed or retained by the company. I appreciate I may be in the minority here but if you advertise something as 50 produced, 50 should be sold not 51, 52, 53...
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Casio, Citizen, Eterna, Hamilton, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Timex, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris
monkeymax
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

I'm not saying you're wrong. ;)
Just that someone will always dislike whatever policy they go for.
Gar787

Post by Gar787 »

Two valid points & I understand the dilema but surely CW should make it clear if the watch is a prototype to the customer? If Kip is correct, then when I asked the head of customer services @ CW, specifically, if this watch was a prototype/pre-production model the written reply should not have been an outright denial and an assertion that this was in fact the 1st to made. I hope you are wrong here Kip...the fact that tge watch mechanism was defective makes one raise one’s eyebrow here frankly