Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C60 Lympstone

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

jimbo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:45 pm As an ex Bootie, I wouldn't buy the "Dartmouth" as much as I like it, and would like one, because of the Navy fouled anchor on the case back. I would if they would put the G and L on the back of it for a one off for me, but the "lympstone" has a different sized case so may not fit.

As a "Perc" as "Bahnstormer" is i expect him wanting the G and L on his wrist means he really wishes he had become a "cabbage head". But if I had been a Pongo i wouldn't wear it. I suspect Rambothejambo is right :)

It's his money at the end of the day? Just his conscience he has to live with :)
Guess this is the crux of the matter.

Yes; I am, or at least was, a Pongo and have neither the qualification for a Green or Red beret.

In some respects the C60 Lympstone is no different to Citizen's Promaster Tough with 'Royal Marines' on the dial. At least the C60 Lympstone has the RM Globe & Laurels on the caseback so, when being worn, looks like a normal watch; in the same manner as the Sandhurst, Cranwell and Dartmouth.

Yes, its down to my conscience. In general terms, if only serving and former Royal Marines buy this watch its going to be a relatively niche market with low sales. If there are people, potentially like me, who wish to honour the Royal Marines; the market is more expansive.

I already have three of CW's Military Specials / Commission watches. Two of them I have a degree of affiliation with, one I don't. I have a C65 Sandhurst with the affiliation of having attended the RMA.

How many forum members are there though who own a Sandhurst, Dartmouth or Cranwell, that have no affiliation to any of the three services?

Just my point of view and some open questions for which, I feel, there is no perfect answer.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:54 pm Yes, its down to my conscience. In general terms, if only serving and former Royal Marines buy this watch its going to be a relatively niche market with low sales. If there are people, potentially like me, who wish to honour the Royal Marines; the market is more expansive.

I already have three of CW's Military Specials / Commission watches. Two of them I have a degree of affiliation with, one I don't. I have a C65 Sandhurst with the affiliation of having attended the RMA.

How many forum members are there though who own a Sandhurst, Dartmouth or Cranwell, that have no affiliation to any of the three services?

Just my point of view and some open questions for which, I feel, there is no perfect answer.

Guy
As I mentioned earlier, it doesn’t really matter who wears what... if you like the watch, wear it, it’s not like it’s a medal, badge, cap or uniform after all, for which you would have to be entitled to wear it.

For me, I do feel an extra connection to the Cranwell, having graduated from the college itself, and I would find it slightly odd to wear a watch having another service badge/emblem, but again it’s just I’m not sure I’d connect with it in the same way :)

It’s also why I’m happy to have signed up to the ACW111 project (on another thread) in honour of Air Commodore Frank Whittle and his pioneering work on the jet engine :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:54 pm
jimbo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:45 pm As an ex Bootie, I wouldn't buy the "Dartmouth" as much as I like it, and would like one, because of the Navy fouled anchor on the case back. I would if they would put the G and L on the back of it for a one off for me, but the "lympstone" has a different sized case so may not fit.

As a "Perc" as "Bahnstormer" is i expect him wanting the G and L on his wrist means he really wishes he had become a "cabbage head". But if I had been a Pongo i wouldn't wear it. I suspect Rambothejambo is right :)

It's his money at the end of the day? Just his conscience he has to live with :)

Yes; I am, or at least was, a Pongo and have neither the qualification for a Green or Red beret.

In some respects the C60 Lympstone is no different to Citizen's Promaster Tough with 'Royal Marines' on the dial. At least the C60 Lympstone has the RM Globe & Laurels on the caseback so, when being worn, looks like a normal watch; in the same manner as the Sandhurst, Cranwell and Dartmouth.

Yes, its down to my conscience. In general terms, if only serving and former Royal Marines buy this watch its going to be a relatively niche market with low sales. If there are people, potentially like me, who wish to honour the Royal Marines; the market is more expansive.

Guy
Guy, as a former Bootneck I understand Jimbo's sense of humor, ribbing you for buying the Lympstone. All booties tend to have a similar sense of humor including myself :)

I think it is great that civilians and members of other services would purchase any of the military watches they are not affiliated with. It shows they support what we do and have done. These days service members and law enforcement need all the support they can get. I have been eagerly anticipating the Lympstone because I wanted a watch commemorating my time in the Marines, but now that I actually see it I am not sure if it scratches that itch so I'm still not sure if I will buy one. It's a nice watch, but maybe my expectations for a "special" watch were too high. I'm looking forward to seeing your opinion and pictures of the Lympstone when you receive it later in September.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Sorry about the fouled anchor, still even a crown is not a G and L !!

Couldn't agree more about the case backs, now that CW have the licence to print them, if one size fits all they only have to rummage in a draw to provide a cap badge for any service. I am sure that they would have a huge market in the USA for this sort of service
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

mvlow wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:35 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:54 pm

Guy
Guy, as a former Bootneck I understand Jimbo's sense of humor, ribbing you for buying the Lympstone. All booties tend to have a similar sense of humor including myself :)

I think it is great that civilians and members of other services would purchase any of the military watches they are not affiliated with. It shows they support what we do and have done. These days service members and law enforcement need all the support they can get. I have been eagerly anticipating the Lympstone because I wanted a watch commemorating my time in the Marines, but now that I actually see it I am not sure if it scratches that itch so I'm still not sure if I will buy one. It's a nice watch, but maybe my expectations for a "special" watch were too high. I'm looking forward to seeing your opinion and pictures of the Lympstone when you receive it later in September.
Couldn't agree more, was just ribbing !

Each to their own, I could for example buy the Dartmouth (Navy connections) and the Sandhurst (dad was a Pongo ) and one day may mellow :)

enjoy your watch when it comes I also look forward to the photo's
DEV1ST8R
CW-watches: 5

Post by DEV1ST8R »

nordwulf wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:22 pm Placed an order today as it's a great outdoors / adventure watch for me. Just have to wait for probably 3-4 weeks. Came to US$ 830 (ordered in GBP) after promo code. Unfortunately just over the $800 duty-free limit but that's ok.

Love everything about it: gun metal PVD case, brushed ceramic outer bezel, inner compass bezel, carbon dial, chronometer, 42mm, logo at 12, no date, under the radar.

The Royal Marines and Lympstone bit doesn't have any meaning for me but is pretty cool nonetheless.
If you don't mind, could you report how much duty is eventually owed on that order? I am in the exact same boat and am curious what to expect...
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

As someone with no connection to any of the forces I was hesitant to get the Dartmouth despite loving the aesthetics since seeing it at the gtg last year. It felt a bit like wearing a Porsche watch while on the bus 😂

But I’m glad I saw sense and got one as it’s a cracking watch and nobody can see the case back to judge me as the Civvy fraud I am 😂 my dad went to school in Portsmouth/Southsea... that’s a navy connection I guess.

The Lympstone is a nice looking watch and great value
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

hey guys, I'm new here. A little off topic here but related to the watch... I was going to order the C60 Sapphire but saw the Lympstone and fell in love with it and wanted to preorder it. I received an email with the 100LOUPE18 coupon code for 100 pounds off yet I couldn't apply it to anything at all even though all the watches are over the 500 pound requirement. Was it just a cruel joke for us in the States? lol
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello and welcome. There are usually different codes for different currencies. I’m not sure what the current one is for the USA, but I suspect someone will post it for you before long.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS

Ukyo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:29 am hey guys, I'm new here. A little off topic here but related to the watch... I was going to order the C60 Sapphire but saw the Lympstone and fell in love with it and wanted to preorder it. I received an email with the 100LOUPE18 coupon code for 100 pounds off yet I couldn't apply it to anything at all even though all the watches are over the 500 pound requirement. Was it just a cruel joke for us in the States? lol
100LOUPE18 is for use with the currency set to GBP for UK purchasers.

125LOUPE18 will, I'm pretty certain, be the code if you're using USD from the States.

Hope this helps.

Guy

Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

Thanks guy, I already placed the order in pounds lol. Guess I'll cancel that and reorder through the US store. I tried the code you mentioned and it worked Does that mean it ships from the US? This would be my first CW watch direct from them so I don't know if they just all ship from UK or if they ship locally based on the currency used.
Bahnstormer_vRS

Ukyo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:17 am Thanks guy, I already placed the order in pounds lol. Guess I'll cancel that and reorder through the US store. I tried the code you mentioned and it worked Does that mean it ships from the US? This would be my first CW watch direct from them so I don't know if they just all ship from UK or if they ship locally based on the currency used.
All watches ship from CW in Maidenhead, UK. International ones using DHL.

Before switching your order its worth checking the net price after currency conversion; they can vary.

As to not being able to use the 100LOUPE18 in GBP but shipping to the US, might be worth trying again or shooting an email to CW.

It may be, with the new website from a couple of months ago, they have engineered it to only allow purchases in the local currency of the recipient. Perhaps one of our USA based member will be able to comment on that.

Anyway, no rush. Its Sunday and CW will next be open tomorrow morning. Good luck.

Guy

Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

I was holding out for a bronzey, and having just seen the c60 trident bronze i was pulling the trigger. Unfortunately i then saw these and immediately loved the look.

Like a couple of others here, i am not ex military but do have family and friends ex/in several services.

I agree with the comments that if you like the watch, buy it! But i also totally agree that it pays homage to those who did put themselves in harms way so others didnt have to and i like that a lot. (Us ex cops defo dont count!)

I spoke to cw sales to enquire if there was a black steel strap option, as i believe that would be a good option. Again, like others, i think this watch will be used as a outdoor watch at the absolute max, or just a daily wearer, so i think a black link strap would suit it. I was both surprised and pleased to hear that a black link strap has already been considered and may actually find its way in to production.....👌🏻.

Im not sure if some of you more experienced lot on here would either have more info on that or opinion..?
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

wooow, steady on Dickchins..... All Cops/EX cops put themselves in harms way every time they pulled on the uniform.

I am ex Bootneck and ex Police, and felt more at risk at times in my role as a PC than I did as a Bootneck. You are being far too modest.

Maybe a homage watch to the Police boys and girls of the world could be a goer ?
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

New watch on the way! Received shipping notification for the C60 LS and CW website now shows they are in stock.