Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: C65 Super Compressor

Post by Blackdog »

My take on the new SC, FWIW...

I was initially very excited about this introduction. I mean, a REAL Supercompressor after so many years ! My first proper watch was a 1969 Tissot Supercompressor I inherited from my father that I don’t have anymore. Nostalgia factor was strong.

But to put things in context, while it is interesting, it doesn’t really make much sense in terms of actual modern day functionality as a diver.

To begin with, the internal bezel is not really a great idea. It never was. To operate it with wet, gloved hands can become a major challenge. On top of this, making it uni-directional is actually a mistake: Operated by a crown it is very unlikely that it will be knocked out of position, and the extra effort of aligning the triangle with the minute hand via a crown can actually use the advantage of bi-directionality to use the shortest path to get there.

The choice of not using a screw down crown for it is understandable, but this also imposes a limitation in the WR spec. The main purpose of a screw down crown is to prevent movement/operation in water, this is a crown that you may actually need to operate in water. Needless to say that another hole in the case is another weak point for potential water ingress.

And the SC technology itself: very cool, but technology in case manufacturing precision and advances in gasket materials have rendered it obsolete years ago. You can attain today a much better WR with a traditional caseback and o-ring at a lower cost.

All in all, I was still considering the watch for the nostalgia and novelty factor. But the issue of the misaligned text is simply unacceptable IMO.

I think I’ll rather chase one of those old Tissots down instead. They’re not much more expensive and have the added appeal of having had a real purpose at their time.
DaveTucker
CW-watches: 3

Post by DaveTucker »

I totally understand the comment regarding obsessing with WR. I have several "dive" watches, but they've never been deeper than the drawer I keep them in when I'm not wearing them 😁. I didn't buy them to go diving, it's simply that I Iiked them. I admit I know very little about the super compressor design, but I would only expect it to be WR to "normal" rather than "extreme" depths. If you're buying one to actually use as a diving watch, it will most likely be up to the job, but if you're buying one because you like it don't be put off because it's not got a higher WR spec. My philosophy for buying a watch is simple, "do I like it, will it do what I want it to do, can I afford it and ignore trends/hype and other people's opinions (but don't ignore well informed advice). 🙂
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I finally wrote my review of the C65 Super Compressor. Let's see if Steve (AVO) was right when he guessed which one I bought.
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=55118&p=827844#p827844
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

I have an urge to add a colourful piece to my collection of watches and have been looking at the Doxa 300T.
However, I am struggling to justify spending £1800 plus.
The Super Compressor has now got my interest, especially the Ocean Blue. I like the colour of the Orange leather strap but I would prefer rubber / silicone. Are there any alternatives to the Black Tropic that CW offer that would be a good fit?
Thanks
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Wolfman53 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:03 pm I have an urge to add a colourful piece to my collection of watches and have been looking at the Doxa 300T.
However, I am struggling to justify spending £1800 plus.
The Super Compressor has now got my interest, especially the Ocean Blue. I like the colour of the Orange leather strap but I would prefer rubber / silicone. Are there any alternatives to the Black Tropic that CW offer that would be a good fit?
Thanks
I think CW's Blue Tropic is a bit on the dark side for the Ocean Blue Compressor.

However, I've just had an advert pop up on Facebook for Moose Strap Co's new FKM Waffle Rubber strap. The Blue looks a decent colour.

Length is good at 130/80mm and not too thick at 3mm; available in 20mm and 22mm.

Moose are in Canada; I've bought from them before and they're fine to deal with.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

Thanks Guy.
Will probably opt for the Orange leather and take it from there.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I'm a little late to this one but thought I would post up the options anyway.

Blue Tropic
20201130_201034614_iOS (2).jpg

Black Tropic
20201130_201153003_iOS (2).jpg

Vintage Oak Leather - I think this one looks rather good.
20201130_201246899_iOS (2).jpg

Orange Leather
20201130_201442453_iOS (2).jpg

A couple non-CW options that I think look good too.

Thalo Blue ADPT NATO from Worn & Wound

20201130_201710506_iOS (2).jpg

Coyote ADPT NATO from Worn & Wound - the orange stitching plays with the seconds hand nicely.
20201130_201757800_iOS (2).jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

^^ STRAP MONSTER !!!! Great pics @rkovars
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Viognier wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:44 pm ^^ STRAP MONSTER !!!! Great pics @rkovars
Thanks! I just noticed I had the watch head upside down with the vintage oak :oops: I was moving pretty fast when I set those up.

It really does take straps really well. A lot of different stuff plays off of the orange seconds hand. :thumbup:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

Newly fitted Zuludiver Classic Beads of Rice bracelet on the SC.
It's a very long bracelet and I struggled for an hour trying to remove links last night ultimately failing!
Local jeweller sorted this morning in less than 5 minutes. Amazing what proper tools, 20/20 vision and a bit of hand eye coordination can achieve Image ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

WATCH ALOT

Post by WATCH ALOT »

brash47 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:55 pm So its posted now.

https://www.christopherward.com/retro-d ... K0-B0.html

I thinks it's a good looking watch. The confusion for me is the depth rating. As a super compressor, with its compressor spring, I would have expected a tank and a very deep depth rating.

150m? Again, good looking watch, but an interesting choice of depth.....thats just my opinion.

I guess since its a C65, more retro, it fits? And with the C60 Lympstone released at the same time, I can see why its not such a tank. But still....

Thoughts?

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I have only just joined the forum, so am looking through some older posts. I own the same watch. I believe the 150m rating is in line with the vintage aesthetics of the watch. In reality I would imagine it is safe to use the watch for diving, other than that of the real deep stuff, where a normal diver would be no good anyway.
Stevedavid2006

Post by Stevedavid2006 »

I want one of these but with the brown dial.