Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Citizen V
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 0

Re: C65 Super Compressor

Post by Citizen V »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:13 pm
Citizen V wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:06 pm I think OWC deserves some kudos as well. They've been selling dive watches with super compressor cases for almost a decade now.
Well, that’s one I am certainly ignorant of. Any chance you could provide a link, please? Thanks.
I'm not sure if linking to their brand website is okay, so here's a recent review. They're a small microbrand but I feel had a relatively strong forum following years ago. But they've mainly made sub homages so if one was after the typical dual crown styling associated with super compressors, they probably would have never come across OWC.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:13 pm
Citizen V wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:06 pm I think OWC deserves some kudos as well. They've been selling dive watches with super compressor cases for almost a decade now.
Well, that’s one I am certainly ignorant of. Any chance you could provide a link, please? Thanks.
Try this Steve. http://www.orangewatchcompany.com/diver-case/
Steve.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks, guys. That’s obviously a brand that passed me by.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

For full historical reference, the OWC watches are not Super Compressor watches. Although inspired by them, they don't follow the design of the original SC. I read through all of their documents on the SC talk and design. They talk about how they were inspired by the EPSA design, but there is no mention of the spring. They do say that they use the "concept" of the case with o-rings. This allows the case to "compress" but this is not a true SC by EPSA design.

A true SC has a spring. OWC watches use rubber gaskets.
They are closer to a Compressor case, possibly even a Compressor 2. But in the attached design below, you can see that a SC has the spring. This is the distinction of the true SC.

I think by adding the spring CW can make the claim that its the first true SC watch made in a long time.

Good history stuff there.Image

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

redmonaco wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:33 pm The black dial looks brown to me...???
TigerChris wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:35 pm
redmonaco wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:33 pm The black dial looks brown to me...???
To be fair it’s called ‘Black Sand’ which I think describes it quite well

I wonder if CW is trying to allude to tropic dials with the color choice? In Worn & Wound’s write-up, they describe the dial as appearing “as soft brown or neutral black depending on the lighting.” I’d really like to see this in the flesh. I imagine pics just don’t fully capture it and do it justice.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

jkbarnes wrote:
TigerChris wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:35 pm
To be fair it’s called ‘Black Sand’ which I think describes it quite well

I wonder if CW is trying to allude to tropic dials with the color choice? In Worn & Wound’s write-up, they describe the dial as appearing “as soft brown or neutral black depending on the lighting.” I’d really like to see this in the flesh. I imagine pics just don’t fully capture it and do it justice.
How about arranging a Virtual Showroom appointment with Declan?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:15 pm How about arranging a Virtual Showroom appointment with Declan?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
If I were in a position to buy one, I absolutely would. Right now, having just added a watch to the stable within the last month, any talk about this watch is purely academic.
Drew
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I’m just waiting for the first person to query the text placement with CW to be told it’s ‘within tolerance’ - it’s gonna happen. CW should have a new Yorkshire strapline, it’d suit the Mike France era well. Imagine it now - ‘Christopher Ward - Be Reet’ :lol: :lol:
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

After looking at the beautiful pics posted by Thermexman, it appears that the C65 case on the SC is the same thickness as the AMG GT LE chronograph. Note that on the typical C65 case, the center brushed line is extremely thin, and the chronograph we saw, has a thicker mid line. Looking at the photos posted, I see the same thick midline that the chronograph has. So thats 2 C65 cases that are the "thicker" case now.

Just an observation...

SC pics from Thermexman....great pics and thanks!! I added the SC, GT, Trident GMT, Trident Diver pics to show the difference. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

brash47 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:07 pm After looking at the beautiful pics posted by Thermexman, it appears that the C65 case on the SC is the same thickness as the AMG GT LE chronograph. Note that on the typical C65 case, the center brushed line is extremely thin, and the chronograph we saw, has a thicker mid line. Looking at the photos posted, I see the same thick midline that the chronograph has. So thats 2 C65 cases that are the "thicker" case now.

Just an observation...

SC pics from Thermexman....great pics and thanks!! I added the SC, GT, Trident GMT, Trident Diver pics to show the difference.

And, every time I look at the C65 case thickness I find myself quietly congratulating CW; my heart is in the C60 dial mk 1 and mk 2 but I've always looked at the C60 case - every generation - and wondered why my Omega Seamaster cases can look so much slimmer.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

tikkathree wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:45 pm And, every time I look at the C65 case thickness I find myself quietly congratulating CW; my heart is in the C60 dial mk 1 and mk 2 but I've always looked at the C60 case - every generation - and wondered why my Omega Seamaster cases can look so much slimmer.
It’s in direct proportion to the relative slimness of your wallet after you have bought one.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

Just seen a TV advert for the Super Compressor - at the start of the T20 international on Sky. The watch looked great on the big screen.
Richard
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

Saw it earlier on on channel 5
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

rkovars wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:52 pm
Has CW ever stated that they pressure test each watch? Anything with the Diver mark is ISO and each individual watch is pressure tested. Many of the well known brands test every watch even though they aren't ISO. I'm just curious where CW falls on the topic.
Update: I emailed customer service on this last week. It took a while but they got back to me. They said "All our watches are tested individually for water resistance on our quality checks."
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
eric72
Senior
Senior

Post by eric72 »

I asked them on the not centered writing. Waiting for a response....

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk