CW strap greater selection menu option?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
alanrolfe01
CW-watches: 14

CW strap greater selection menu option?

Post by alanrolfe01 »

Am I the only person who has looked at a watch on the CW site and thought "I'd like that on a different CW strap than the 2/3 options offered" but I'd have to buy it separately?
When the, vastly improved, site was updated did CW miss an opportunity to allow a wider range of customising options for buyers?
Select your watch then select your strap from all the available sized options rather than just 2/3 that are current options.
I understand this may involve more work fitting selected straps, and may reduce some sales of additional straps.
I imagine many owners are buying 3rd party straps as cheaper options than an original CW strap that is for sale but not an option, why buy two CW straps when you only want the one that isn't offered as an option?

When you see the option opportunities to customise purchases of other online products I think CW missed an opportunity to offer more individuality for us enthusiasts.

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: CW strap greater selection menu option?

Post by H0rati0 »

Agreed, open options would be nice but take it or leave it is more or less industry practice so I guess CW's take is they are not out of line.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Might be worth a quick call or email to Declan to enquire whether they would actually match up a strap/head combo not featured on the site?
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by TheBeatles »

alanrolfe01 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:40 am

I understand this may involve more work fitting selected straps, and may reduce some sales of additional straps.
I think you may have answered your own query.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels - Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love - The Beatles

alanrolfe01

Post by alanrolfe01 »

If all watches are matched to their straps/bracelets for every individual purchase there wouldn't be much difference. If watches are only received at HQ with the existing options fitted, then additional work would be needed changing over. It would depend on the working practices at CW. If every watch already needs to be manually matched to the strap option complete the customer's order, then there would be no additional work, just a larger range to select from.
My comment was more about offering more variety, where possible.

alanrolfe01

Post by alanrolfe01 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:28 pm
Might be worth a quick call or email to Declan to enquire whether they would actually match up a strap/head combo not featured on the site?
Thanks for the information, I'll bear it in mind especially with new models about to arrive. :thumbup:

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 26
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

alanrolfe01 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:42 pm
If all watches are matched to their straps/bracelets for every individual purchase there wouldn't be much difference. If watches are only received at HQ with the existing options fitted, then additional work would be needed changing over. It would depend on the working practices at CW. If every watch already needs to be manually matched to the strap option complete the customer's order, then there would be no additional work, just a larger range to select from.
Watches and straps/bracelets arrive at CW, and are stored, separately.

Simplistically; when an order is received the watch is picked and then goes to the 'Strap Room' where the strap/bracelet is picked and fitted. Then its off to Dispatch.*

If you want a strap that is different to the default options, the simple thing to do is buy one of the default options and then add an additional strap to your order.

Guy

*NB> Seen in action on Admin Team's visits to CW Towers
C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg MkII| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 PR
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex| C60 Elite GMT| C65 S'hurst-Diver-GMT-AM GT| C1000

Molan
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 25

Post by Molan »

I’ve visited the ‘strap room’. As a serial strap swapper it was like a little Aladdin’s cave 😂
C60 Elite LE, C7 yellow/black proto & blue cosc auto, C8 PR, C65 black, blue, khaki, yellow, C7 Bluebird & IRR, C1000 Cockpit, C70 VW4 & HRDC, C3 x2

JAFO
Senior
Senior

Post by JAFO »

Maybe they could offer a discount for a second strap bought at time of a watch purchase. The strap packages fit in a slot on the bottom of the outer cardboard box, so its something they already allow for. To be fair, most watch makers pair a given strap to a watch, don't they?

alanrolfe01

Post by alanrolfe01 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:08 pm
alanrolfe01 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:42 pm
Watches and straps/bracelets arrive at CW, and are stored, separately.

Simplistically; when an order is received the watch is picked and then goes to the 'Strap Room' where the strap/bracelet is picked and fitted. Then its off to Dispatch.*

If you want a strap that is different to the default options, the simple thing to do is buy one of the default options and then add an additional strap to your order.

Guy

*NB> Seen in action on Admin Team's visits to CW Towers
That's my suggestion in action. If all watches have to go through the Strap Room why can't CW offer a wider range to select from at point of watch purchase without having to buy two straps? If when you chose your watch the website diverted you to a "virtual Strap Room" to make your own strap selection. Your observations imply there would be no extra effort needed at CW but the customers would have a greater choice.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

alanrolfe01 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:38 am
If all watches have to go through the Strap Room why can't CW offer a wider range to select from at point of watch purchase without having to buy two straps? If when you chose your watch the website diverted you to a "virtual Strap Room" to make your own strap selection. Your observations imply there would be no extra effort needed at CW but the customers would have a greater choice.
They key question appears to be "Why not?"

I'm not sure anyone here knows the answer, so as above I'd say contact them and make the suggestion. They can only say no (or yes, or "good point - we'll review it").

If you find out the answer, please do share it! :D
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

JasperCat
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by JasperCat »

alanrolfe01 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:38 am
That's my suggestion in action. If all watches have to go through the Strap Room why can't CW offer a wider range to select from at point of watch purchase without having to buy two straps? If when you chose your watch the website diverted you to a "virtual Strap Room" to make your own strap selection. Your observations imply there would be no extra effort needed at CW but the customers would have a greater choice.
I know it's a different scale of operation, and not sure what sort of website/shop design team CW have access to, but the Apple Studio is an example of what could be done :thumbup:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/studio/apple-watch

I agree, it would be great to have the option of selecting an alternate and/or second strap option for the watch. Interestingly, Apple also give you their limited selection of straps that come with the watch by default, but you are able to see what other straps might work and order them as extras, at the same time. However, being Apple, they don't offer discounts for these :lol:
Current: C65 Cranwell, C5 MMXV FLE, Apple Watch Series 4 Stainless Steel, Orient AG00004D
Past: C9 5 Day SH21 43mm Automatic, C5 Malvern 595 (passed on as gifts to family)

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I love this idea, but it would definitely be easier to achieve in the showroom than online. When i visited JS Watch in Reykjavik, they did exactly this. Pick your watch, and they bring out the strap book with all straps of the corresponding size. Top row is included at the posted price. Second row is an additional X isk, third row is X isk, etc. Much easier to achieve in this environment than online, as you can see the watch and strap together, and ensure they work together.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.