Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Just for fun!

Post by jkbarnes »

brash47 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:54 pm
I'll do some much better photos later, but for fun today!ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing this. I love seeing them side by side. Still awaiting my C65 AM GT LE. The first one had to go back.
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos

brash47

Post by brash47 »

What happened? The alignment on the stopwatch hands was all over the place when I got mine, but the beauty of the quartz chrono movements.....the adjustibility!!! All perfect now.

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

brash47 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:36 pm
What happened? The alignment on the stopwatch hands was all over the place when I got mine, but the beauty of the quartz chrono movements.....the adjustibility!!! All perfect now.

I requested a specific serial # that corresponded with my birthday (this is a 50th birthday gift from the family), and they sent the wrong one. No worries, as the correct number was set aside and will be dispatched shortly.
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

SlayedDreamer
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Post by SlayedDreamer »

I love my AM GT! It's on rotation right now on my wrist as I type! :)
If I could change one thing on the watch, it would be the red chrono hand should be on top, it makes readability easier and would give it that extra pop.
C1 Morgan Aero 8 | C65 Anthropocene | C65 AM GT LE | C7 Rapide Quartz Chrono | C3 Grand Tourer Racing Green

brash47

Post by brash47 »

jkbarnes wrote:
brash47 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:36 pm

I requested a specific serial # that corresponded with my birthday (this is a 50th birthday gift from the family), and they sent the wrong one. No worries, as the correct number was set aside and will be dispatched shortly.
Sorry to hear that. Its really cool when you can request a specific number on a limited edition for a sentimental purpose. Glad you're getting it worked out.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

And the winner is.......?
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 am
?????

I know we all have different tastes and choices but surely the answer to that is a "no brainer" despite the large gap in purchase price.
I think it shows just how good the Speedy was designed from the very start and how it is still relevant now, but my Speedy is largely my only wearer so maybe I'm just biased.

The other answer is that there isn't a winner - both are "winners" in their own way.

1 question though re. the CW - why is the red portion between 60 and 10 - isn't the red zone normally at the top of the rev range?

StrappedUp
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by StrappedUp »

Mikkei4 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:27 am
I know we all have different tastes and choices but surely the answer to that is a "no brainer" despite the large gap in purchase price.
I think it shows just how good the Speedy was designed from the very start and how it is still relevant now, but my Speedy is largely my only wearer so maybe I'm just biased.

The other answer is that there isn't a winner - both are "winners" in their own way.

1 question though re. the CW - why is the red portion between 60 and 10 - isn't the red zone normally at the top of the rev range?
I honestly prefer the case of the C65, but for everything else, the Omega wins. One thing that struck me straight away is how much better the sub-dial placement looks on the Speedmaster.

Re. the red portion of the seconds sub-dial, I first thought the same thing and looking at the actual dash of the AM, the red part is between 55 and 60 (x100) revs. Curious as to why they didn't keep it the same.

Scrub that ... image below is a DB5 apparently. The DB4 Zagato has a redline at "60".

Ryan

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 am
A bit apples to oranges for me. Yes, they’re both chronographs, but one is definitely more motorsport and the other pure tool. Also the difference in price makes comparing them a non-starter for me.

Personally, I’m down for the C65 Chrono because of the motorsport heritage. When my favorite thing to do on a nice weekend is to throw the top down on my MX5 and go driving, the C65 is the obvious choice.

Interestingly enough, If I were choosing a chronograph purely for its functionality, I think I’d want a telemeter scale over a tachometer scale on the bezel. I’d have more occasion to measure the distance of a lightning strike than a car on a one mile circuit.
Andrew

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

brash47

Post by brash47 »

I didnt post to do a 1v2 comparison. I just thought I'd post 2 great chronographs.

I bought the CW to have a limited edition watch, a beautiful chronograph, and that movement inside in such a beautiful presentation. I love the watch for its modern tech and it fits great.

The Speedmaster was a sentimental purchase. I just got a promotion to Lieutenant, knew and had been following the hoopla around the 50th anniversary of landing on the moon, and had met Apollo Commander, Gen. Tom Stafford. I have always been a NASA fan and grew up watching Apollo and space missions.

The case is signed by Gen. Stafford (Apollo 10, Apollo-Suyez, Gemini 9A, Gemini 6A) and the card dated July 20, 2019....special day for humanity.

I was given a special Omega replica of the pen they used in space as well....all in all. A great day.

These are 2 watches that won't ever leave my collection. 2 great examples of amazing craftsmanship.

BrashImageImageImage

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

brash47 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:34 pm
I didnt post to do a 1v2 comparison.
Which is fine, because my question was purely rhetorical and I wasn’t expecting or particularly wanting anyone to answer it. It was a throwaway remark which, as sometimes happens, was taken literally. :D

However, I’m really glad you did post that because the story behind your Speedmaster is just fantastic, and to have that signature on the box is pretty priceless.

I’m also a huge fan of the Apollo program. Stafford, Cernan and Young were real trailblazers. I met Charlie Duke years ago when he was over here lecturing.

Thanks for sharing that! :thumbup:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

brash47 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:34 pm
I bought the CW to have a limited edition watch, a beautiful chronograph, and that movement inside in such a beautiful presentation. I love the watch for its modern tech and it fits great.

The Speedmaster was a sentimental purchase...
What a fantastic backstory! Thanks for sharing that and thank you to AVO for making the comment that brought that story out!

This is what the forum is all about.
Andrew

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Brilliant story about the Speedmaster and excellent reasons for buying the CW.