Some good ole general questions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
brash47
Junior
Junior

Some good ole general questions

Post by brash47 »

Im new to the CW scene. I'd been looking at some through a resell site and love the look. I had owned a couple of steinhart homage watches for ones I'd never be able to afford....the Ocean Vintage Military (I think the last Rolex Milsub sold in the hundreds of thousands). The Ocean Vintage GMT (the Rolex Exp.II that ill never be able to afford). I decided I wanted those back in my collection.....and then I saw the c65 Trident GMT.

Not a copy, maybe a couple of design cues, but still something original with a classic vintage look. So I bought one used. I've been wearing it daily....its really a beautiful piece!!!

When I saw the c65 AM GT Chronograph release, I grabbed one and got it last night. I opened and examined this morning.....again what a beauty!!! Ok so on to my questions.

The trident gmt warranty started in 2018. I noticed that the case on the gmt and is slightly thinner than the chronograph I just got. Looking from the side, the brushed area between the scalloping and polished edges is taller. The fit on the wrist still looks the same.

If I read correctly, the cases....c65, c60, etc..are the same cases with different internals and bezels based upon what actual watch you buy...correct me please if I'm wrong.

Keeping that in mind, did the case design on the c65 change from 2018 to now? I was informed by customer service that some changes had been made....i wanted the quick release bracelet or endlinks and was told they wouldn't fit my trident.....so I'm just curious what the changes were.

Finally, im looking at the c60 sapphire for a CW pure diver and thinking about grabbing a c65 trident or dartmouth for my classic style diver, I can't decide between the 2!!!

Thanks for info in advance!!

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 27
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Re: Some good ole general questions

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Short answer.

The C60 and C65 cases are different; profiles, lug shape etc.

That's why, even though they both have 22mm lugs the bracelets are not interchangeable between a C65 and a 42mm C60.

Long answer? Hopefully another one of the inmates will be along shortly to comment.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg MkII| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 PR
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex| C60 Elite GMT| C65 S'hurst-Diver-GMT-AM GT| C70 HRDC| C1000

brash47
Junior
Junior

Post by brash47 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Short answer.

The C60 and C65 cases are different; profiles, lug shape etc.

That's why, even though they both have 22mm lugs the bracelets are not interchangeable between a C65 and a 42mm C60.

Long answer? Hopefully another one of the inmates will be along shortly to comment.

Guy

I think I confused the question with my story.

I know the 60 and 65 are different beasts. What I meant to say....all c65 variants are the same case with different internals and attachments?

All c60 variants are the same case with different internals and attachments?

Was there a case change on the c65 from 2018 to now?

There thats nice and blunt lol!

Brash

rkovars
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by rkovars »

Hmmmm as far as I know they are the same. My C65 GMT is a low 2 digit serial number. The same bracelet fits my Dartmouth (the second release in black). I have both the older C65 Trident bracelet (bought for my GMT) and the quick release that came with my Dartmouth and they are both interchangeable with each watch. There is a difference between the GMT/Divers and the Cranwell, Vintage and Sandhurst. The latter three are all 38 mm so they have a 20 mm lug.

So if you get a Quick Release bracelet on the Dartmouth that will fit the GMT no problem. I don't have the new Chrono so there is a chance they made changes to accommodate the movement. I don't have one to compare. Guy, don't you have all three?

One other edit - the true Milsubs were very small production (not to be confused with the civilian 5512/5513). Somewhere around 2-3 thousand. 100s of thousands wouldn't make it that rare. 8) Funny thing is you could have picked one up in the early to mid 80s for a few hundred. Nobody wanted them because they were mostly beat to crap and didn't look like a gold president. Live and learn. :-x
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth

2 More CW's on the short list!

JasperCat
Junior
Junior

Post by JasperCat »

rkovars wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:20 pm
There is a difference between the GMT/Divers and the Cranwell, Vintage and Sandhurst. The latter three are all 38 mm so they have a 20 mm lug.
The Cranwell is in fact 41mm as well and so has 22mm lugs... I’m currently wearing it on a 22mm canvas webbing strap :)
Current: C65 Cranwell, C5 MMXV FLE, C5 Malvern 595, Apple Watch Series 4 Stainless Steel, Orient AG00004D
Incoming: C65 Trident Diver (hurry up birthday!)
Past: C9 5 Day SH21 43mm Automatic (passed on as gift to family)

Bahnstormer_vRS

rkovars wrote:
So if you get a Quick Release bracelet on the Dartmouth that will fit the GMT no problem. I don't have the new Chrono so there is a chance they made changes to accommodate the movement. I don't have one to compare. Guy, don't you have all three
I have the C65:-

GMT
Trident Diver
AM GT LE

All 41mm with 22mm lugs but different heights m

I'll get them out tomorrow to do a comparison.

Guy

C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg MkII| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 PR
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLE x2

rkovars
Senior
Senior

Post by rkovars »

JasperCat wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:33 pm
rkovars wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:20 pm
There is a difference between the GMT/Divers and the Cranwell, Vintage and Sandhurst. The latter three are all 38 mm so they have a 20 mm lug.
The Cranwell is in fact 41mm as well and so has 22mm lugs... I’m currently wearing it on a 22mm canvas webbing strap :)
Thanks for the correction. I swear I looked it up but didn't catch it. :oops: Makes sense too since it is the aviation branch. Pilots watches being traditionally larger in size.

Edit - fixed it :thumbup:

rkovars
Senior
Senior

Post by rkovars »

One hint I just noticed is that there is a listing for both the C65 MKII and the C65 AM GT so I would say there is a chance those particular cases are different.

Edit - looking at the measirements, the AM GT has a slightly longer lug to lug. I bet the bracelet would fit but wouldn't look right because the end links were made to mate to the other case. They list the AM GT as a C65 MKIII in the copy too.

JasperCat
Junior
Junior

Post by JasperCat »

rkovars wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks for the correction. I swear I looked it up but didn't catch it. :oops: Makes sense too since it is the aviation branch. Pilots watches being traditionally larger in size.

Edit - fixed it :thumbup:
No worries, I wasn't sure either when I first looked into it, but yes it makes sense and it actually seems a bit smaller when worn... possibly due to the bezel, which I love... very Explorer like :)

This is it on the bracelet, which as is being discussed, should be the same as used on all the other 22mm C65 watches :thumbup:

C65_Cranwell_Wrist_Bracelet.jpg
Current: C65 Cranwell, C5 MMXV FLE, C5 Malvern 595, Apple Watch Series 4 Stainless Steel, Orient AG00004D

brash47
Junior
Junior

Post by brash47 »

Im just stuck looking at the pretty watch!

rkovars
Senior
Senior

Post by rkovars »

JasperCat wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm

This is it on the bracelet, which as is being discussed, should be the same as used on all the other 22mm C65 watches :thumbup:
I bet it is. :thumbup:

Here is some more! All on the same quick release bracelet.
IMG_1292 (2).jpg
20200527_194900105_iOS (3).jpg

JasperCat
Junior
Junior

Post by JasperCat »

brash47 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:42 pm
Im just stuck looking at the pretty watch!
:D

JasperCat
Junior
Junior

Post by JasperCat »

rkovars wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:56 pm
Here is some more! All on the same quick release bracelet.
Now they look really great, and good to know the bracelet is compatible :thumbup:

Bahnstormer_vRS

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:15 pm
rkovars wrote:
So if you get a Quick Release bracelet on the Dartmouth that will fit the GMT no problem. I don't have the new Chrono so there is a chance they made changes to accommodate the movement. I don't have one to compare. Guy, don't you have all three
I have the C65:-

GMT
Trident Diver
AM GT LE

All 41mm with 22mm lugs but different heights m

I'll get them out tomorrow to do a comparison.

Guy

OK, first up fit of the Bracelet.

Here's a C65 Trident Diver and C65 AM GT with the same bracelet fitted.

As can be seen there is no perceivable difference in the fit to the lugs of each watch (the difference in lug-2-lug measurement is only 0.02mm)

C65 AM GT

C65 Trident Diver

rkovars wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:40 pm
One hint I just noticed is that there is a listing for both the C65 MKII and the C65 AM GT so I would say there is a chance those particular cases are different.

Edit - looking at the measirements, the AM GT has a slightly longer lug to lug. I bet the bracelet would fit but wouldn't look right because the end links were made to mate to the other case. They list the AM GT as a C65 MKIII in the copy too.

This is where things get interesting as, whilst the cases for the C65 Trident Diver, GMT and AM GT have the same basic measurements (41mm case width, 22mm lugs, 47.1/47.12 lug-2-lug) the have a different side profile, with the central vertical face (with polished chamfered faces above and below) of the side of the case being deeper/taller on the C65 AM GT.

Comparison photos;-

C65 AM GT in the middle

C65 GMT

C65 AM GT

This all begs the question; why?

Evolution of Design? Need to accommodate different movement? Who knows.

Researching the different movement aspect on the CWArchives shows that the SW330-1 GMT movement is 25.6mm diameter and 4.10mm tall, whereas the ETA 251.264 Quartz Chrono in the AM GT is 30.0mm diameter and 5.0mm tall.

Will these small differences in size determine a different case profile? Open question.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Guy

brash47
Junior
Junior

Post by brash47 »

AHA!!!!! I knew it. there is a difference in the actual case. But, for the C65 Trident Diver and C65 Trident GMT, the case has not changed? Is there a MK II and MK III version of the cases?