Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Re: Why no 3 hander sports watches

Post by johncolescarr »

Make this in a 40mm and I'll buy it.

[/quote]

I wouldn't necessarily buy it, but it would make a good addition to the range.
[/quote]

Make it blue and it would sell like hot cakes
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

johncolescarr wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:56 pm Make it blue and it would sell like hot cakes
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:58 pm
johncolescarr wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:56 pm Make it blue and it would sell like hot cakes
Oh my days!
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I would find it very difficult to resist a 38mm one of those!
Ryan
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I’d love to see the 38mm Light Catcher case from the C65 Trident with:
A matte black dial
3, 6 and 9 in numerals, batons or dots for the rest
12 as a triangle marker
Hands from the MK2 C60 Tridents (add a pop of red to the tip of the seconds hand)
Patina lume including the numerals.
“Christopher Ward” text under their 12
Twin flag logo above the 6, then “Automatic”
No date

CW meets Explorer :-)

Keep safe everyone

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Jcalder68 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:35 pm I’d love to see the 38mm Light Catcher case from the C65 Trident with:
A matte black dial
12 as a triangle marker
Hands from the MK2 C60 Tridents (add a pop of red to the tip of the seconds hand)
No date

Keep safe everyone

C
Great minds eh!
The c65 trident vintage could be such a good base for ideas.
If not a la explorer then how about the blue 36 rolex op with the lumed 3 6 9. In that case at that size it would be a great looking watch. (At least to my eyes)
Cheers now, Paul
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

stefs wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:02 pm
Jcalder68 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:35 pm I’d love to see the 38mm Light Catcher case from the C65 Trident with:
A matte black dial
12 as a triangle marker
No date

Keep safe everyone

C
Great minds eh!
The c65 trident vintage could be such a good base for ideas.
If not a la explorer then how about the blue 36 rolex op with the lumed 3 6 9. In that case at that size it would be a great looking watch. (At least to my eyes)
Great minds think alike, while fools seldom differ? I expect is more of the former than the latter :-)

Looking at the current CW lineup the 38mm case has so much to offer. I also see that the majority of the models in the lineup have either numerals only (Sandhurst, Cranwell, Al Deere, most of the motorsport range) or baton/dot markers only (most of the dive and dress ranges). Only the larger C65 manual wind divers have 12 and 6 marked, no watch has the full “Explorer” dial layout.
Marry that iconic layout to the versatility of the light-catcher case, and then throw in a matching handset etc and we could have the ultimate everyday/sports watch.

Anyone up for a future forum limited edition model?

Keep safe,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
hadon2525
Junior
Junior

Post by hadon2525 »

Hello to all.
Although I joined the forum some time ago, this my first post. Mainly because I am naturally a lurker, not a joiner but also because sometimes CW drive me up the wall. For example: I am on their mailing list with 2 different email addresses but do I ever receive any emails? You guessed it, no. Sales pass me by. I only hear about offers from you guys, usually long after the event.
Anyway, I am the PROUD owner of a Trident Classic C65 LE. (The blue one, if you can remember it).
It is beautiful, I love to GAZE at it. It still gets comments, just the other day a woman, in a shop, remarked how nice it was. Mind you, her husband was wearing a cheap Casio so maybe she was thinking of trading up!
But my C65 LE is not perfect for 2 reasons: 1) it needs a lume dot on the seconds hand, and 2) at 43mm IT'S TOO BIG! And my wrists aren't small.
I have often thought of writing to CW with my designs for the perfect watch, (basically a 'Skyfall' Aqua Terra without the exorbitant price tag), and then, bless them, johncolescarr and nordwolf did it for me See above. Probably the blue for me, also looks great on brown leather.
38mm or 40mm? I'm not sure yet, but I'm sure there is scope and desire for both.
So CW - MAKE THIS WATCH! I have a blank cheque here waiting for you and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Thanks fellas, this is my first post, so be kind. Or don't, I'm a big boy. (With decent sized wrists!).
hadon2525
Junior
Junior

Post by hadon2525 »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:35 pm
I would find it very difficult to resist a 38mm one of those!
So would I. I think it ticks just about every box. In fact, I don't want to resist it.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm I know that you are looking for greater dial variation but there is always the C65 Trident Vintage. Pretty classic sports three hander. 150 M water resistance. 38mm case size. Only thing holding this one back for me is non-screw down crown. Sure seems like they realized the mistake as both the AM GT chronograph and the new Worldtimer both have screw down crowns. I asked about any plans to move the rest of the line to this case and was told no plans. Would be a nice improvement to the vintage divers.

Even an option for non vintage lume would be a nice addition.

C65-38ADA2-S00K0-B0_Picture_1.jpg
The C65 Trident Vintage Mk 1 has a screw down crown and crown guards. I have it and I love it! It isn’t the current light catcher case, but frankly I find it’s case more “tool like” and in keeping with the spirit of what people are describing.
Drew
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I guess this really depends on your definition of sports watch. Diving by definition is a sport, and Rolex certainly agrees that a diver is a sports watch. The C60 and C65 are sports watches. I especially think that, bezel or not, the C65 fits the "sports" watch asthetic. The C65 GMT (I know it's a 4 hander) has more of a "traditional sports watch" vibe than the GMT Master II.
The C7 and C1 Morgan's are sports watch (again, motorsports are sports).
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

hadon2525 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:23 pm I have often thought of writing to CW with my designs for the perfect watch, (basically a 'Skyfall' Aqua Terra without the exorbitant price tag), and then, bless them, johncolescarr and nordwolf did it for me See above. Probably the blue for me, also looks great on brown leather.
38mm or 40mm? I'm not sure yet, but I'm sure there is scope and desire for both.
So CW - MAKE THIS WATCH! I have a blank cheque here waiting for you and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Thanks fellas, this is my first post, so be kind. Or don't, I'm a big boy. (With decent sized wrists!).
And a good post it is too. A warm welcome to the forum.

As a new member you will not know about Downer’s Rules, one of the great forum threads. Rule 6 is worth taking note of.
6. Accept no substitutes.

Of course, within reason. If you have set your heart on model x, with strap y and a specific caseback, try to avoid buying something "close" to your ideal. Near enough is rarely good enough, and you will probably regret it.
You can read the full list here.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Do watches need to have categories? :)

How many folk partake in sports wearing what a brand may or may not describe as a “sports watch”?

After all at least one of the watches often referenced as a sports watch, whenever the subject is discussed isn’t even referred to as a sports watch by the brand that produces it. Don’t think they refer to any of their watches as “sports watches”.

However that said the features outlined by @Jcalder68 are a good checklist for the features of what would be an excellent all rounder for those fed up with wearing a twisty bezel watch most of the time. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

The blue above is spot on, the white would need some black on the hands.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

TADAA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
20200729_080733.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",