Why no 3 hander sports watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Why no 3 hander sports watches

Post by johncolescarr »

It seems like CW don’t currently have a classic 3 hander sports watch in their product line up.

Anyone know if there is one planned?

I was a big fan of the C65 classic, especially the guilloche dial one with old style hands. But at 43mm and 52mm l2l it was a monster and I just couldn’t pull it off.

It seems a big hole in the collection to compete with the likes of omega AT, Rolex explorer, etc.

Take the trident case, slim it down a bit and add some sporty blue and orange accent vibes (like the C65 LE) and there would be a fantastic everyday sports watch.

But please do it in the 38mm too!
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Why no 3 hander sports watches

Post by tikkathree »

I read your thread title in the Quick Links > Active Topics view and I immediately thought of my Aqua Terra which Omega certainly used to promote as a sports watch though I wear mine mostly as "formal suit and tie attire". My mind went also to the Armida A6 which I spotted on EBay yesterday https://d2j6dbq0eux0bg.cloudfront.net/i ... 048634.jpg. In fact my mind went skating across my collection and the watches I'm aware of and even slightly interested in.

You mention the C65 and I thought about the C65 hand-winder which came from the current sale https://www.christopherward.com/dw/imag ... 284&sh=284
and I thought well, isn't that it? Isn't that not only the current offering but a good old-fashioned bargain to boot?

Then it crossed my mind to ask how we define sports watch - is it essentially a slim dive watch with a sterile bezel?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I think there is a lot of scope with the c65 vintage mkii case. It has the very nice lightcather design and is 38mm with a bracelet option.
A couple of face variants there could be real winners.
As it happens Mike and co if you are listening Can you do a c65 vintage case with a blue sunburst dial and applied lume filled numerals. Bit like the ones from the old c10 would do. Even add an integrated rubber strap and we have an affordable aquanaut alternative. You can take my money now!
Cheers now, Paul
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^^ What Paul said. I've always wondered why they don't offer more classic 3-handers.

I emailed Chris a couple of times in the past and mentioned this every time.

They have the Cranwell and Sandhurst/C65 vintage II cases to be able to offer 38/41mm versions, similar to offerings from other brands.
Just need the dials!

Come on CW :D
Ryan
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

tikkathree wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:15 am

Then it crossed my mind to ask how we define sports watch - is it essentially a slim dive watch with a sterile bezel?
Really good point, we all will have a different opinion, but for me the “3 hander sports watch” is the dress watch for those who don’t like dress watches.

It’s a watch you can wear with a suit, or casual, and for me it must have

At least 100m WR
Around 40mm
Bracelet and strap options
Fixed bezel
Conservative styling but with a bit of flare
Date or day date complication only

Classic examples
Omega AT
Rolex explorer
Tudor black bay 41
AP Royal Oak (a bit too racy for me)
Patek aquanaut
Tag Heuer Calibre 5
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I’ve asked the question about an Aqua Terra type watch for a long time now - CW himself even said at one of the first GTG’s that it was something they were working on when I asked the question on live chat however, it seems not. I had a 43mm C65 Classic on bracelet which I sold a few weeks ago. Fantastic watch but, as mine was the newer logo with the flat dial and cricket bat hands, something was just missing for me. A 40mm with a bit more interest on the dial would be fantastic but I’m not holding my breath. Oh, and with a more interesting handset than those cricket bat things which have put me off CW’s and one of the main reasons I didn’t wear my C65 Classic more.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

This has been suggested for a while now but CW doesn't seem to be interested so far.

Thread from a few years ago: Casual, elegant and rugged CW explorer watch (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49979)

Make this in a 40mm and I'll buy it. Made these a while ago.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:24 pm This has been suggested for a while now but CW doesn't seem to be interested so far.

Thread from a few years ago: Casual, elegant and rugged CW explorer watch (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49979)

Make this in a 40mm and I'll buy it.

I wouldn't necessarily buy it, but it would make a good addition to the range.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I know that you are looking for greater dial variation but there is always the C65 Trident Vintage. Pretty classic sports three hander. 150 M water resistance. 38mm case size. Only thing holding this one back for me is non-screw down crown. Sure seems like they realized the mistake as both the AM GT chronograph and the new Worldtimer both have screw down crowns. I asked about any plans to move the rest of the line to this case and was told no plans. Would be a nice improvement to the vintage divers.

Even an option for non vintage lume would be a nice addition.
C65-38ADA2-S00K0-B0_Picture_1.jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Re trident vintage. I may be wrong, but I don't think you would want a screw down crown with a manual wind watch. I know I wouldn't. It's the same as screw down chrono pushers. Immensely irritating for me.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

JAFO wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:18 pm ...I don't think you would want a screw down crown with a manual wind watch.
Not too bad if the movement was an SH21 HW.

I think I would cope with it on a "lesser" (qua Power Reserve) movement, but it would be a nightmare for the hamfisted among us. You would need a 17-page Risk Assessment for some people!! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

JAFO wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:18 pm Re trident vintage. I may be wrong, but I don't think you would want a screw down crown with a manual wind watch. I know I wouldn't. It's the same as screw down chrono pushers. Immensely irritating for me.
My Panerai (PAM 512) has screw down crown with a handwind movement. Its rarely near water but reassuring that if it happened to take a dip it would survive nicely.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

JAFO wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:18 pm Re trident vintage. I may be wrong, but I don't think you would want a screw down crown with a manual wind watch. I know I wouldn't. It's the same as screw down chrono pushers. Immensely irritating for me.
None of the stated examples in the thread are hand wound. The Vintage isn't hand wound either. I wouldn't say hand winding is a qualification in a sports watch IMO.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

rkovars wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm Only thing holding this one back for me is non-screw down crown. Sure seems like they realized the mistake as both the AM GT chronograph and the new Worldtimer both have screw down crowns.
I'm quite happy with the non-screw down crown on this 300m rated sports watch :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

rkovars wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm C65-38ADA2-S00K0-B0_Picture_1.jpg
I have considered the C65 vintage but to me it’s a bit more field watch and less sporty, I also am not a fan of faux aged lume. The 38mm case however is fantastic, although I prefer a flat or box crystal.

I had the C65 classic mk2 with white dial. It’s was nice but agree with comments that the hands weren’t as nice as the C60 and the dial a bit plain. Also with the 43mm case and thinner bezel the dial was massive and it wore huge. Ultimately it didn’t stick and I flipped it.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm