Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Why no 3 hander sports watches

Post by Mikkei4 »

At least you put the name at 12.
I shy'd away from mentioning this re. the mock up.
hadon2525
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by hadon2525 »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 am TADAA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
20200729_080733.jpg
Aah, Meester Bond, I was expecting you. (It is lovely though).
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 am TADAA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
20200729_080733.jpg
Its funny, I actually prefer the lightcatcher case of the CW mock up. But I will admit that this is what I had the AT in my head when starting this thread!

Objectively the AT is a hands down better watch, but its out of my price range. If CW made a new C65 and didnt make it crazy limited, I could have one in the collection in a few years at maybe £300 used, whereas the AT would set me back about £2k. I impose a collection limit of between £1.5-2k total to stop me getting out of hand, which is why I have naturally fallen on CW to facilitate (hoping to build a 5ish watch collection of watches I truly love).

Funnily enough, the AT is one of the only watches ive seen in the wild which is not an omega SMP ...it was a beautiful grey version and suited the guy. We had a little nod when he spotted me looking at it before going our separate ways.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Lavaine wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:43 am I guess this really depends on your definition of sports watch. Diving by definition is a sport, and Rolex certainly agrees that a diver is a sports watch. The C60 and C65 are sports watches. I especially think that, bezel or not, the C65 fits the "sports" watch asthetic. The C65 GMT (I know it's a 4 hander) has more of a "traditional sports watch" vibe than the GMT Master II.
The C7 and C1 Morgan's are sports watch (again, motorsports are sports).
Im a huge sports watch fan, and dont really go for dress watches (or field watches (military), or aviators/fliegers (pilots)), I think many WIS are similar. You are right all are sport watches, but for me the "3 hander sports watch" is one that doesnt have a rotating bezel, chronograph, tachymeter etc. Its the dress watch for those who dont like dress watches, or the "one watch guy".

i love the concept of a one watch that would go with both suit and shorts, despite paradoxically wanting a decent (albeit small) watch collection.

I think the new hand set from the C60 would go fantastically as a 3 hander case as they are so much more sporty, despite the fact I prefer the C60 mk2 as a divers watch
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

johncolescarr wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:31 am Its the dress watch for those who dont like dress watches, or the "one watch guy".

i love the concept of a one watch that would go with both suit and shorts, despite paradoxically wanting a decent (albeit small) watch collection.
I think you make a couple of very good points there. It’s worth remembering that the vast majority of people who own a watch, own just that – one watch. It does everything. That was certainly the case with me for 50 years or more.

It’s quite common for people beginning to build a collection to think in terms of styles, or should we say functions. The extreme manifestation of this is the insistence on certain types of watch for certain types of occasion and activity. Going on a holiday, say, with just one watch means that it has to fulfil its function in a variety of situations. Note that I did not say it needs necessarily to fulfil a variety of functions, although if you are going to jump into water with it it had best have a good WR.

If you start to think along those lines, then a good smart 3-hand steel watch with decent WR makes perfect sense.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
hadon2525
Junior
Junior

Post by hadon2525 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:06 am
hadon2525 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:23 pm I have often thought of writing to CW with my designs for the perfect watch, (basically a 'Skyfall' Aqua Terra without the exorbitant price tag), and then, bless them, johncolescarr and nordwolf did it for me See above. Probably the blue for me, also looks great on brown leather.
38mm or 40mm? I'm not sure yet, but I'm sure there is scope and desire for both.
So CW - MAKE THIS WATCH! I have a blank cheque here waiting for you and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Thanks fellas, this is my first post, so be kind. Or don't, I'm a big boy. (With decent sized wrists!).
And a good post it is too. A warm welcome to the forum.

As a new member you will not know about Downer’s Rules, one of the great forum threads. Rule 6 is worth taking note of.
6. Accept no substitutes.

Of course, within reason. If you have set your heart on model x, with strap y and a specific caseback, try to avoid buying something "close" to your ideal. Near enough is rarely good enough, and you will probably regret it.
You can read the full list here.
Thank you for your welcome.
As to Downer's Rules, as a great man once said: ''Wise words, Scoff.'' (Ask your grandfather).
And he is correct - I would be accepting a substitute, but a quality substitute and people wouldn't assume I just wanted to be James Bond. (I mean I do, obviously. And, unlike the current 007, I am not short, blond and ugly. No sir, I am tall, dark and ugly!).
Zax
Junior
Junior

Post by Zax »

tikkathree wrote:TADAA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
20200729_080733.jpg
If CWard came out with a vertical teal dial, I would buy it in a heartbeat. The AT Skyfall has been on my want list for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

This was ever so close. In 40mm I would still own it.
C65LE.jpg
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Zax
Junior
Junior

Post by Zax »

FloridaPhil wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:37 am This was ever so close. In 40mm I would still own it.

C65LE.jpg
That is really nice! What model is that?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Zax wrote:
FloridaPhil wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:37 am This was ever so close. In 40mm I would still own it.

C65LE.jpg
That is really nice! What model is that?
C65 Trident Classic Mk I Limited Edition Automatic

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

C65LE.jpg
Totally agree. I sold mine also as at 43mm it was too big for me but a lovely watch.
hadon2525
Junior
Junior

Post by hadon2525 »

C65LE.jpg
Yeah, I own one of those. It's so NEARLY perfect, I can't help thinking CW snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Totally agree it should be 40mm and I think the seconds hand should have a lume dot.
An important point which hasn't been mentioned is that it has a delicious depth of only 10.4mm so it slides under suit and shirt cuffs effortlessly.
This means that the WR is only 150m but I think we can agree that is more than adequate.
hadon2525
Junior
Junior

Post by hadon2525 »

C65LE.jpg
I was given mine for my birthday, which was a truly wonderful gift.
Unfortunately, my friend didn't buy it on a bracelet, 'just' on a brown leather strap.
And, you guessed it, because it was end of line CW stopped making the bracelet for it.
I did contact CW to try and obtain one, (great service from Katie Howard), but alas, no.
If anyone knows if CW do a 22mm, brushed bracelet that would fit it, please let me know.
Thanks.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

hadon2525 wrote:

C65LE.jpg
I was given mine for my birthday, which was a truly wonderful gift.
Unfortunately, my friend didn't buy it on a bracelet, 'just' on a brown leather strap.
And, you guessed it, because it was end of line CW stopped making the bracelet for it.
I did contact CW to try and obtain one, (great service from Katie Howard), but alas, no.
If anyone knows if CW do a 22mm, brushed bracelet that would fit it, please let me know.
Thanks.
Get the normal bracelet with polished centre links and brush them with a stratch pad (pan scourer).

That's what I did for the bracelet on my C60 Chronograph.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Even though I have small wrists, I think the C65 MK1 LE is spot on.
Love it, my CW Aqua Terra.