Watch Timing Accuracy - Detailed Explanation

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Watch Timing Accuracy - Detailed Explanation

Post by Viognier »

Watch timing accuracy question seems to pop up here frequently. This question was recently posed on the CanWatchCo forum regarding an Omega with METAS specs and this reply post is a fantastic explanation! This is posted on our CW forum with the permission of Al Archer of Archer Watch Services. Al is a watchmaker based in Ontario with brilliant reviews of his work.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 7.47.01 AM.png
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
nordwulf

Re: Watch Timing Accuracy - Detailed Explanation

Post by nordwulf »

The 8900 movement is METAS certified, not COSC.

My PO 8900 sometimes looses and gains but in the end evens out over time. And it is very accurate when wearing during the day and rest at night. Posted about it on the Omega forum here:
METAS results versus real world performance https://omegaforums.net/threads/metas-r ... nce.93491/
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Yep a good simple explanation. :thumbup:

A watch that gains say 10 seconds a day on the wrist, but looses that amount due to resting position overnight isn’t really accurate at all.

Truly accurate watches are those that have negligible positional variation.

With a bit of effort a skilled watchmaker will be able to regulate the watch to reflect the lifestyle and pattern of wear of the owner, by asking a few key questions.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

nordwulf wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:12 pm The 8900 movement is METAS certified, not COSC.

My PO 8900 sometimes looses and gains but in the end evens out over time. And it is very accurate when wearing during the day and rest at night. Posted about it on the Omega forum here:
METAS results versus real world performance https://omegaforums.net/threads/metas-r ... nce.93491/
Appreciate the correction...now edited.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy