Keeping Company with Some Big Brands!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Keeping Company with Some Big Brands!

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:06 pm
Can someone explain the cobblers reference? I don’t understand it.
Sorry about that, Andrew. I do tend, along with a number of my compatriots, to use the odd piece of peculiarly British slang. On the other hand, I do try to retain the use of the first person pronoun when writing and to avoid expressions like “all over that bad boy” and “pulling the trigger”. :lol: :ironie:

One of my absolute favourite metaphors comes from Tim Moore in his book “Spanish Steps”, where he gently debunks some of the mythology connecting Saint James with the early mediaeval period in Spain:
...a journey beyond the shores of Factland, now gingerly skirting the Cape of Myth, now steaming gaily through the Straits of Arrant Cobblers.
If you want a recommendation, it’s one of the funniest travel books I have ever read.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Ahhh Viz, still get it now and again....now our cousins across the pond really might not get that one :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thegreyman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:47 am
jimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:38 am
However I believe a real "Cockney" is someone who was born within the hearing of "Bow Bells" a church in London
Technically, I believe that is correct. Interesting that you use the term Cockney ****. I was expecting to see Cockney ****. Probably too much Viz in the 1990s. :lol:
Oh dear Viz :lol: That is a blast from the past, in the days before political correctness was a thing. I can imagine the outrage if that were still being published today and most of the characters names alone might would probably offend some, Sid the Sexist, Cockney W****r et al. :shock:
Patrick

C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C65 Ombre COSC LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife)

Some others + a few on the way

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

jimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:22 pm
Ahhh Viz, still get it now and again....now our cousins across the pond really might not get that one :)
You are correct sir! Not a clue!
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos

jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

If you pm me an address, i will send you one, they are very rude, very un PC, no one is safe from ridicule, and to some of us immature folk very funny at times

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

jimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:37 pm
If you pm me an address, i will send you one, they are very rude, very un PC, no one is safe from ridicule, and to some of us immature folk very funny at times
Oh, is it a publication of some sort? I assumed it was another slang term. No need to send me one, but thank you for the offer! :thumbup: I’ll look it up on the ol’ internet.

EDITED TO ADD: Having just read up on it, I think I would love Viz but perhaps be embarrassed to say so!
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos

jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

No worries, when you do read it, having the local "accent" in your head helps, us English struggle with some accents over here, never mind you "foreigners" haha