The CW you wish you had...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

The CW you wish you had...

Post by jkbarnes »

This is a variation on the “what watch are you day dreaming about now” thread. Is there an older Christopher Ward watch you find yourself dreaming about and wish you owned? Or perhaps one you had that you regret letting get away?

I’ve spent a fair amount of time browsing the CWArchives to familiarize myself with CW’s back catalog, and there are a few watches I find myself returning to time and time again.

First up, the C9 5 Day Small Second. There are two things I absolutely love about this watch. First, the styling - this is about as classic as it gets in a watch design. It’s simple, elegant, dressy and just plain beautiful. Secondly, I love that it has CW’s in-house movement.
84962FF0-EFA1-4315-BBE1-F8E908A9C531.jpeg
C9 5 Day Small Second (C9-40-HW-SWT) image pulled from CWArchive

The other model I keep coming back to is the C61 Trident Automatic. An odd choice maybe? Let me explain. There are two reasons behind my love for this model. The first one is the size. On my smallish wrist, the 38mm is an excellent size. But why not a Mk II or Mk III Trident in 38mm or 40mm? That leads to the second reason I love this watch. At the end of the day, a diver is a tool watch (a tool I’ll never use for its intended purpose, mind you). As the Trident collection has evolved, it’s become more refined, certainly more beautiful, but in my opinion also less tool like. What I really like about the Mk I trident is that the design remains true to a dive watch’s tool watch origin. It also has design cues that offer a nod to the archetype dive watch, the Rolex Submariner, without being an homage. For me, I think the C61 might be the perfect dive watch.
E214254A-C327-4E7C-B01A-F976637A010B.jpeg
C61 Trident Automatic (C61-SKS) image pulled from CWArchive

Is there an older CW you occasionally dream about owning? Or perhaps you’re lucky enough to own it already?
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos

Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Re: The CW you wish you had...

Post by Foxman50 »

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Foxman50 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:30 pm
You may be interested in
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christopher- ... SwK~1fAJur
One day....but today’s not that day!
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

kiter65
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by kiter65 »

Owned a few CW’s over the years and just purchased one in the sale, not owned one for a while, but out of all the ones I’ve owned only one I kind of regret selling, will not pay the price they are fetching now, but should have kept it :?

Migzy

Post by Migzy »

I'm still gutted I didnt buy the C9 AM GMT limited edition from last year. Just didnt have the funds at the time. Was hoping to pick one up in the sale but everything had gone by the time I could look :-(

JAFO
Senior
Senior

Post by JAFO »

I think it would be the moonglow, or maybe the c60 sapphire.

JH123

Post by JH123 »

JK - I've got a C61 and a C60 MKIII - I think of the C60 being more tool like due to the lack of polished bracelet that is found on the C61.

Soporsche
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 11

Post by Soporsche »

C9 GMT... Tried to snag the one in the sale as right price but was too slow. Its an odd choice maybe but Im a fan of C9s and still have 3 still, Auto silver, Big Blue Chrono, AM GT.
Stephen

8 CWs and a modest collection of other brands

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by TigerChris »

Maybe not strictly in line with the question, but close enough to comment I think. I bought my Dad a C8 Flyer Auto, 38mm, bead blasted case for his 70th birthday. At the same time I bought the black DLC case version for myself. I ended up selling my black case after hardly wearing it but my Dad wears his all the time - everytime I look at it I wish I'd have bought the same one for myself as I think it looks fantastic - I would still have it if I'd have bought that one over the black case and have commented the same to my Dad on several occasions. At least I know I'll end up with it one day! :lol:

MarkingTime
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by MarkingTime »

jkbarnes wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:17 pm
This is a variation on the “what watch are you day dreaming about now” thread. Is there an older Christopher Ward watch you find yourself dreaming about and wish you owned? Or perhaps one you had that you regret letting get away?
The other model I keep coming back to is the C61 Trident Automatic. An odd choice maybe? Let me explain. There are two reasons behind my love for this model. The first one is the size. On my smallish wrist, the 38mm is an excellent size. But why not a Mk II or Mk III Trident in 38mm or 40mm? That leads to the second reason I love this watch. At the end of the day, a diver is a tool watch (a tool I’ll never use for its intended purpose, mind you). As the Trident collection has evolved, it’s become more refined, certainly more beautiful, but in my opinion also less tool like. What I really like about the Mk I trident is that the design remains true to a dive watch’s tool watch origin. It also has design cues that offer a nod to the archetype dive watch, the Rolex Submariner, without being an homage. For me, I think the C61 might be the perfect dive watch.
Is there an older CW you occasionally dream about owning? Or perhaps you’re lucky enough to own it already?
Good post.

I've got a small collection of the C61s and have only the black/black version still to add.

My other coveted watch is the C65 SH21 LE with small seconds and power reserve. Love it, but not quite yet within my financial grasp. If I get lucky, I'll find one in the sale, but that's probably just a pipe dream. I might make do with the C65 auto in blue in the meantime.

Rhorya

Post by Rhorya »

I was fortunate to snag one of these. I also have the trident pro day date COSC, and the very last Vintage Malvern CW ever sold which come with the ETA 2824.

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JH123 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:39 pm
I think of the C60 being more tool like due to the lack of polished bracelet that is found on the C61.
Good point, hadn’t thought about that element. If (when!) I acquire a C61, I think I’d most likely wear it on a tropic rubber watch strap or a NATO to play up the tool watch origins.
TigerChris wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:43 pm
...everytime I look at it I wish I'd have bought the same one for myself as I think it looks fantastic - I would still have it if I'd have bought that one over the black case
A matched pair bought at the same time would have had a very strong sentimental value too, I think!
TigerChris wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:43 pm
...At least I know I'll end up with it one day! :lol:
Always gotta be thinking about the long game!
Andrew

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No regrets from my point of view. I occasionally see one like the C9 5 Day small seconds and think “Maybe I should have bought that.”

Then I open my watch box and think, “Nah, you’re OK.”
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:51 pm
...Then I open my watch box and think, “Nah, you’re OK.”
The sign of an experienced, mature collector maybe?

And anyway, what need does one have for a small seconds hand when living on -ish time? :lol:
Andrew

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

One of these
c60-43-ti-v2-k_3-1024x683.jpg