Guess who made the July sale sold-out?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Guess who made the July sale sold-out?

Post by A1soknownas »

nbg wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:46 pm Now here is an idea! :)

Any forumites who don’t like the idea of watches ending up on eBay and would like to help themselves and fellow forumites benefit from the sale and put one over on the Ebay profiteers could decide to each:

- buy as many watches in the sale as they are able, including those they personally aren’t interested in

- advertise the ones they don’t want for sale on the forum at the sale price they have paid, plus postage, on condition that...

- the purchaser makes a charitable donation of £50, to a charity of the sellers choice.

Everyone’s a winner...

Neil
I admire and respect the plan and agree wholeheartedly with the concept. The people mobilise to solve an issue that they have :clap:
With many social initiatives for the greater good we would be inevitably doomed for failure though due to personal interests taking over and fighting with the Ebay flippers who continue to bring greater resource to undermine our project!

I honestly am not that bothered whether I can get one in the sale or not. Me and the poster Tiger Chris above are not that far off in our interaction with the brand that has become conflicted over recent times.

The reason I responded to the thread was that the very first comment the OP received to their first post ever on the forum to me lacked consideration and wasn't really how I would like to be accepted after taking the time to register and post. Then came another comment asking if they had a solution as if to not have would prevent them from commenting! It may have been discussed at length before but it will be discussed over and over again, particularly if you would want new members and for a forum to thrive with activity.

If CW were that bothered about this issue they would seek a solution to correct it such as lowering the the qty further that can be bought at once or within a sales period. In addition to reducing the 60 days returns for sales items only which effectively allows an ebay flipper an almost risk free opportunity to make a profit which cannot be found with many other brands.

I won't post on this any more but will continue to respect and appreciate the frustration of others that do. :thumbup:
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

MarkingTime wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:56 am The only problem is one of sour grapes for not managing to pick up a bargain.

There seems to be some sort of sense of entitlement here on the forum, that members be treated as special customers.

We are watch enthusiasts with a particular interest in CW, no more no less, but when it comes to business, money talks.
Nailed it :clap:

A1soknownas wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:50 pm
nbg wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:46 pm Now here is an idea! :)

Any forumites who don’t like the idea of watches ending up on eBay and would like to help themselves and fellow forumites benefit from the sale and put one over on the Ebay profiteers could decide to each:

- buy as many watches in the sale as they are able, including those they personally aren’t interested in

- advertise the ones they don’t want for sale on the forum at the sale price they have paid, plus postage, on condition that...

- the purchaser makes a charitable donation of £50, to a charity of the sellers choice.

Everyone’s a winner...

Neil
I admire and respect the plan and agree wholeheartedly with the concept. The people mobilise to solve an issue that they have :clap:
With many social initiatives for the greater good we would be inevitably doomed for failure though due to personal interests taking over and fighting with the Ebay flippers who continue to bring greater resource to undermine our project!

I honestly am not that bothered whether I can get one in the sale or not. Me and the poster Tiger Chris above are not that far off in our interaction with the brand that has become conflicted over recent times.

The reason I responded to the thread was that the very first comment the OP received to their first post ever on the forum to me lacked consideration and wasn't really how I would like to be accepted after taking the time to register and post. Then came another comment asking if they had a solution as if to not have would prevent them from commenting! It may have been discussed at length before but it will be discussed over and over again, particularly if you would want new members and for a forum to thrive with activity.

If CW were that bothered about this issue they would seek a solution to correct it such as lowering the the qty further that can be bought at once or within a sales period. In addition to reducing the 60 days returns for sales items only which effectively allows an ebay flipper an almost risk free opportunity to make a profit which cannot be found with many other brands.

I won't post on this any more but will continue to respect and appreciate the frustration of others that do. :thumbup:
I can't tell if this is some kind of satirical joke :?

You're suggesting that the solution to the problem of other people buying watches that you want, is that Forum users club together to buy watches they don't want because other Forum users are more entitled to those watches than anyone else?

And then once the Forum have had their/our fill, anything left gets returned to CW to be resold to the less entitled? :lol:
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I don't know why CW don't follow their own business mode, cut out the "middle man", and sell their sale items direct on ebay.

That's a solution (well, of a sort).
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Renton »

exHowfener wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:06 pm I don't know why CW don't follow their own business mode, cut out the "middle man", and sell their sale items direct on ebay.

That's a solution (well, of a sort).
Interesting suggestion.

PS I'm aware I've offended someone with my previous post. Nothing personal intended, thought I was just having a bit of fun, I'll try to play nicely in future x
Buckstallguy

Post by Buckstallguy »

Renton wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:31 am
NeWard wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 pm Ebay Flippers :thumbdown:
Based on order numbers, I understand approx. 2,000 orders were placed during the sale period.

There are currently 45 new CWs on eBay.co.uk and 34 on .com (and there will be crossover for both and there are also new watches which weren't in the sale, such as the Sapphire).

While I certainly agree that eBay flippers will have impacted the availability of sales watches, I think it's a little far-fetched to lay most of the blame with them. Even if 400 items (I very much doubt it was that many) were bought by flippers, we're talking about 20%.

So I'll tell who who I think made the July sale sold-out: bargain hunters! Damned Christopher Ward enthusiasts!

Here's a potentially glass-half-full side-effect of the sale: around sale times I also notice an uplift in used Christopher Wards on eBay. Do people scoop up a few sale bargains and then sell some older watches, which gives other collectors/enthusiasts the chance to pick up some older models?

I noticed one seller recently listed a C900 Worldtimer, a C11 Mercedes edition, a C60 Mk1 GMT, and a few others, all in seemingly great condition and I'd say the auctions ended at a little below average prices. Is that because a lot of people are all spent up from the sale?
Hi Renton

I picked up that full kit C60 Mk1 GMT - it arrived today in pristine condition. And I know the Worldtimer also went to a long time CW fan
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Renton »

Looks like you got a great one there, I'm certainly happy with mine :thumbup:

As an update to that previous post about order numbers, based on the difference between the order I placed yesterday, and my first one from the 9th July, they're now up to 3,750 web orders placed in the last 13 days.

I suspect that's mission acomplished for those in Maidenhead.