Post by NeWard »

Ebay Flippers :thumbdown:
Attachments
Shame.png

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Guess who made the July sale sold-out?

Post by H0rati0 »

It has been noticed and the best of luck with it - not.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

A1soknownas
Senior
Senior

Post by A1soknownas »

Unfortunately it will always be the case it seems.

What is interesting is that sellers with multiple CW items are usually UK based - This one is in the USA so it shows the reach of CW at least. Problem is, if someone from the UK wants them they will have to pay import duty and vat to bring them back :lol:

Another seller the other day was London based, had many CW's along with a pre-owned Grand Seiko and a Smiths Everest. Had links from various watches too. As others have said before, these sellers could be amongst us. It won't change and anyone wanting a particular watch in the sale will have to drink lots of coffee and sit on the site or invest in the learning of some magical technology to help them get in first.

Leon O
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Leon O »

Maybe I'll catch a NN that interests me...

tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by tikkathree »

Is it frustrating to miss out on a watch you're only prepared to buy when it's discounted below normal RRP? Yes it is.

And that's how it is.
We know.
Why would CW care?
Do you have a solution in mind?
C60 MKI COSC black, MKI black GMT,
C60 300 white,
C60 MKII Day Date LE, GMT White, LE SH21, ACAN, Bronze Ombre LE,
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC, Elite 1000 GMT,
C6 Kingfisher x3,
C60 K'fisher
C600 Tritech x 3,
C65 Anthropocene. Blue h/w,

A1soknownas
Senior
Senior

Post by A1soknownas »

Is it a prerequisite to have a solution in order to air a frustration or post an observation?

A rhetorical list of questions to someone's second post. Nothing like feeling the love of the forum is there.

0uatiOW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

This topic comes up pretty much every time there’s a sale, and there are always people who say the profiteers aren’t doing anything illegal, everyone’s entitled to make a living, and if you don’t like it, don’t buy from them... True, I suppose.... but I think it sucks.

I don’t have a solution. If the watch ends up being sold on, then from CW’s perspective, mission accomplished, but if those watches remain unsold and get returned, then CW is paying for the shipping both ways, and that adds to their costs. International shipping isn’t cheap. The last time I sent a watch to North America it cost me £70 - I would guess CW gets a bulk discount, so let’s assume for the moment that they pay a similar amount for the round trip - that’s still a significant percentage of the price of the watch, which ultimately ends up back in the warehouse. The point of 60/60 is for buyers to see the watch for real before they make up their mind, not for speculators to have a risk-free chance to make a turn.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.

A1soknownas
Senior
Senior

Post by A1soknownas »

0uatiOW wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:56 am
This topic comes up pretty much every time there’s a sale, and there are always people who say the profiteers aren’t doing anything illegal, everyone’s entitled to make a living, and if you don’t like it, don’t buy from them... True, I suppose.... but I think it sucks.

I don’t have a solution. If the watch ends up being sold on, then from CW’s perspective, mission accomplished, but if those watches remain unsold and get returned, then CW is paying for the shipping both ways, and that adds to their costs. International shipping isn’t cheap. The last time I sent a watch to North America it cost me £70 - I would guess CW gets a bulk discount, so let’s assume for the moment that they pay a similar amount for the round trip - that’s still a significant percentage of the price of the watch, which ultimately ends up back in the warehouse. The point of 60/60 is for buyers to see the watch for real before they make up their mind, not for speculators to have a risk-free chance to make a turn.
Agreed :thumbup:

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by jtc »

The sale being hoovered up by profiteering ebay sellers is probably a double edged sword for CW.

On the one hand, they move a lot of stock and take a lot of cash. Any returns are refunded and made available in the next sale ad finitum.

On the other, how long until that advertising in Top Gear magazine and Sky TV is pointless because people associate the brand with being "those watches you see loads of on ebay".
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Halios | Oris | Seiko | Casio

Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Thunder1 »

H0rati0 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:46 pm
It has been noticed and the best of luck with it - not.
+1..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
C60 GMT 600/C65 SH21 LE/C65 Khaki/C65 Auto/C65 Bronze Ombre LE

oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by oberonfoto »

I’m sure I saw a thing on the sales pages stating something about only 5-items per person - so these eBay guys must have more than one ID with CW.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance

NeWard
Junior
Junior

Post by NeWard »

oberonfoto wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:44 pm
I’m sure I saw a thing on the sales pages stating something about only 5-items per person - so these eBay guys must have more than one ID with CW.
This is exactly what I thought.... I saw one seller listing 4-5 of the same watch with one of the CW quartz model from the July sale and various of other ones....

Its just more than frustrating this year of the sale because the "sale" never really went public and whoever didn't get/see the email from CW missed out while these resellers getting loads of them, way more than the 5 per person limit. :( :( :(

MarkingTime
Guru
Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

jtc wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:03 pm
On the other, how long until that advertising in Top Gear magazine and Sky TV is pointless because people associate the brand with being "those watches you see loads of on ebay".
Not sure quite what you are getting at here but, current eBay listings show

1200+ Rolex Datejust models alone, never mind the rest
2800+ Breitlings
5600+ Omegas

115 Christopher Wards

I'd say that makes Christopher Ward a bit more exclusive.

kiter65
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by kiter65 »

What is interesting is that sellers with multiple CW items are usually UK based - This one is in the USA so it shows the reach of CW at least. Problem is, if someone from the UK wants them they will have to pay import duty and vat to bring them back :lol

It’s probably Kip... :lol: . :escape:

A1soknownas
Senior
Senior

Post by A1soknownas »

MarkingTime wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:25 pm

Not sure quite what you are getting at here but, current eBay listings show

1200+ Rolex Datejust models alone, never mind the rest
2800+ Breitlings
5600+ Omegas

115 Christopher Wards

I'd say that makes Christopher Ward a bit more exclusive.
More exclusive! That is amusing.
Words and stats are open to interpretation I guess.

I wonder how many of the new Rolex are selling at list and above compared to the new CW's which are normally less than rrp but more than the discounted price the seller acquired them for.

The reason the Rolex go above list is because they are more exclusive - i.e. less available at retail. Whilst in this context CW are not more exclusive there are simply just less of them...