panos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Re: Trident GMT running slower and slower

Post by panos »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:25 pm

You may not think it is magnetised but have you checked?

Guy
yes I have checked with a compass and there was no needle movement. I thought that a magnetized watch is usually faster or erratic is that not true? Mine is consistent but slow again that's why I wondered if there is an issue with the movement.
brash47 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:08 pm

What might not effect an I'm house Omega Seamaster 300m, may very well fully magnetize a sellita movement that has nothing to protect it.
That's a good point Brash about additional antimagnetic protection with higher end brands however I've never had this issue with my other Christopher Wards and I take care to avoid strong magnetic fields such as speakers etc with any automatic watch regardless of their antimagnetic properties.

I'll see what CWard say but it seems like many on this thread have experienced the same issue with this particular movement and watch so I was wondering if there is another cause for it.
brash47
Senior
Senior

Post by brash47 »

Ya never know. I purchased a couple of limited edition Zodiac Super Seawolfs early last year. The STP movements came to a screeching halt, wouldn't wind and had some major problems.

I had bought Zodiac before and those watches with the STP movement are still excellent.

There was a thread from alot of Zodiac watches that were sold around the same time....and a good number from the limited ones. All folks were having major issues with movement problems.

We sent our watches in and they were gone for months. My reliable source said that Zodiac (fossil owned) was having to hire "real" watch repair folks at their Dallas repair center for all the problems because most anything fossil makes is cheap quartz.....throw away and replace. The STP is in house and they weren't ready for the first real problem.

We think that an entire batch of movements went out with failed parts inside all during a small time frame of builds.

When they started being returned from repair, there felt like there was a different movement inside....different winding feel etc.

It's not impossible that CW may have been issued a bad "batch" of movements and they ended up inside some watches.

The correct and expensive move is to do a recall and replace. But that does cost money and you have to be able to source when the problems occurred at Sellita.

If it turns into fix the movement and not replace for those that send them in for repair, this could lead to a decent problem for them.

Zodiac still has said nothing, but the repaired watches (which I think have new movements) are working fine.

My thought was, Zodiac realized the problem, made new movements and are just replacing ones sent in for repair and keeping it under wraps as the limited are very small numbers for them.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Robotaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Trident GMT running slower and slower

Post by Robotaz »

It sounds like people have a very short period of running correctly, then the watch breaks in and runs slow in all cases. I have had two Sellita watches do that very same thing.

I suspect it’s the crappy Sellita movement that has a brutal break-in. I would assume after it’s regulated that it will be fine.

Yes, I cannot stand Sellita movements. Had nothing but trouble. Usually it’s bad power reserve, but I have had two break in and be wildly out of spec until regulated.
Robotaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

^^^ All that complaining said, once these movements are running right, they do fine. As long as CW customer service takes the high road, I think the Sellita will work fine for everyone. I do wish we could stick with ETA.

Who knows? Maybe CW will come up with a basic in-house movement like the new Damasko in-house. I’d be over the moon if they did. I wouldn’t doubt it if one is coming.