Trident GMT running slower and slower

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
diciannove79
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Re: Trident GMT running slower and slower

Post by diciannove79 »

My C65 GMT was starting to run -20s per day recently (it's usually within -5 to -6s per day). I was thinking of sending it in, but then realized that servicing isn't available at the moment. Just out curiosity, I did a check to see if the watch was magnetized (using the Lepsi app), and to my surprise, the app detected magnetism. I ended up buying a cheap $10 demagnetizer on Amazon, and after using it, the watch is now running less than -3s per day.

I always associated magnetism with watches running fast. For some reason, it was the opposite on mine. So it might be worth checking out just to be safe.
Botsy
Junior
Junior

Post by Botsy »

A new or serviced movement should never run slow if regulated properly. I expect these are just fitted and never really checked at the point of build and CW will regulate under warranty if there is a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Zax
Junior
Junior

Post by Zax »

diciannove79 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:51 am My C65 GMT was starting to run -20s per day recently (it's usually within -5 to -6s per day). I was thinking of sending it in, but then realized that servicing isn't available at the moment. Just out curiosity, I did a check to see if the watch was magnetized (using the Lepsi app), and to my surprise, the app detected magnetism. I ended up buying a cheap $10 demagnetizer on Amazon, and after using it, the watch is now running less than -3s per day.

I always associated magnetism with watches running fast. For some reason, it was the opposite on mine. So it might be worth checking out just to be safe.
Yeah, that little demagnetizer works wonders. Had a watch that was magnetized after coming in from overseas, ended up running about 45 sec fast per day. Hit it with the demagnetizer and it is now running +5/6 spd.
samr928

Post by samr928 »

diciannove79 wrote:My C65 GMT was starting to run -20s per day recently (it's usually within -5 to -6s per day). I was thinking of sending it in, but then realized that servicing isn't available at the moment. Just out curiosity, I did a check to see if the watch was magnetized (using the Lepsi app), and to my surprise, the app detected magnetism. I ended up buying a cheap $10 demagnetizer on Amazon, and after using it, the watch is now running less than -3s per day.

Any tips on demag-ing? My watch is very slightly moving the needle of a compass but cant seem to completely demag it with one of those cheap blue boxes (if it is magnetized at all)

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

diciannove79
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by diciannove79 »

samr928 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:22 pm
diciannove79 wrote:My C65 GMT was starting to run -20s per day recently (it's usually within -5 to -6s per day). I was thinking of sending it in, but then realized that servicing isn't available at the moment. Just out curiosity, I did a check to see if the watch was magnetized (using the Lepsi app), and to my surprise, the app detected magnetism. I ended up buying a cheap $10 demagnetizer on Amazon, and after using it, the watch is now running less than -3s per day.

Any tips on demag-ing? My watch is very slightly moving the needle of a compass but cant seem to completely demag it with one of those cheap blue boxes (if it is magnetized at all)

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I had to watch a few YouTube videos on it. I basically held placed the watch on top of the demagnetizer, pressed and held the button for 5 seconds, then slowly moved the watch upwards for another 10 seconds from the demagnetizer (while still holding the button). It worked for me the first time, but it sounds like some people have to do it a few times and on different sides to fully remove the magnetism.
Hope that's helpful! :thumbup:
lazaruscomeout

Post by lazaruscomeout »

Just an update. My watch is now running -30 seconds/day, so it's still slowing down. I'm concerned that when I send it back to CW, they'll simply regulate it, and not fix whatever is causing it to slow down. I wonder if they received a batch of movements that were not lubricated properly or something. Is it likely that they'll swap out the movement?
Henryj
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Henryj »

lazaruscomeout wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:45 pm Just an update. My watch is now running -30 seconds/day, so it's still slowing down. I'm concerned that when I send it back to CW, they'll simply regulate it, and not fix whatever is causing it to slow down. I wonder if they received a batch of movements that were not lubricated properly or something. Is it likely that they'll swap out the movement?
Probably not. Mine went back. According to them, it’s “ within tolerances” and they won’t take it back under 60/60 due to marks on the bracelet, and they don’t see the timekeeping as an issue. I don’t know what they did while they had it, I’m guessing it was just popped onto a timegrapher with a full wind and a quick look. Emails from CS describe “quality checks”, but I have no idea what that actually means.

Anyway, it’ll be back in a couple days. I’ll see if there’s any difference in timekeeping. If not, I’ll probably spend the money to get a local watchmaker to look it over. If it keeps good time and all, I’ll be happy. I really do like every thing else about the watch, fit/finish, design, looks, etc.

As an aside, I did mention this thread in my communications with CW, thinking they might want to know about a possible trend in wonky SW330 movements. They haven’t acknowledged anything about this potential concern.
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
Henryj
Junior
Junior

Post by Henryj »

I was out of town when my watch got back to the house, so I only unwrapped it two days ago. So far, it’s running +35 or so. Lepsi app says its magnetized, so I have a demagnetizer on the way. Once that’s done, I’ll see how it goes. Other than the timekeeping issue, this really is an exceptional watch. The case work really is good, and I’m very impressed with the details of the bracelet. This one ticks all the boxes but one, and that’ll get sorted out eventually.
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
percysmith

Post by percysmith »

Henryj wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:50 pmProbably not. Mine went back. According to them, it’s “ within tolerances” and they won’t take it back under 60/60 due to marks on the bracelet, and they don’t see the timekeeping as an issue. I don’t know what they did while they had it, I’m guessing it was just popped onto a timegrapher with a full wind and a quick look. Emails from CS describe “quality checks”, but I have no idea what that actually means.

Anyway, it’ll be back in a couple days. I’ll see if there’s any difference in timekeeping. If not, I’ll probably spend the money to get a local watchmaker to look it over. If it keeps good time and all, I’ll be happy. I really do like every thing else about the watch, fit/finish, design, looks, etc.
If demagnetisation doesn't work, then yes you should take it to a watchmaker.

You really shouldn't have to do this under 60/60. If your watchmaker finds something CW should have found under "quality checks", CW really should cover the cost.
Henryj wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:50 pmAs an aside, I did mention this thread in my communications with CW, thinking they might want to know about a possible trend in wonky SW330 movements. They haven’t acknowledged anything about this potential concern.
It might not be a SW330 - my early July Trident C65 GMT purchase turned out to be a ETA2893-2 when my watchmaker opened the back for regulation viewtopic.php?p=820076#p820076 .
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Henryj wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:05 pm Other than the timekeeping issue, this really is an exceptional watch.
I must be stupid or something as I thought the primary function of a watch was to tell the time. So, if a watch doesn’t do that how can it be ‘exceptional’? It’s like a pub with no beer - useless.

Me; ‘Oh, my cars fantastic’
Friend; ‘How does it handle?’
Me; ‘Not a clue, it doesn’t run - engines knackered’

That’s how stupid it sounds to me - sorry. Something can look as nice as you want but if doesn’t work it’s scrap value.
mallird

Post by mallird »

My C65 Trident GMT, purchased 2 weeks ago, is running 30 seconds slow per day very consistently. Doesn't matter if I'm wearing it, or if it's sitting dial-up on a shelf.

It has never left my bedroom or had the opportunity to be subjected to a shock, thanks to COVID. Lepsi does not show any hint of magnetization.

I'm honestly really disappointed that a 1000$ watch keeps worse time than my SNK809. Going to try returning it under 60/60 and will see if there is any issue with that.

Has anyone had experience with returns? If there are marks found on the bracelet, can they deduct the cost of the bracelet? Or is there a percentage taken off the entire purchase?
diciannove79 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:51 am My C65 GMT was starting to run -20s per day recently (it's usually within -5 to -6s per day). I was thinking of sending it in, but then realized that servicing isn't available at the moment. Just out curiosity, I did a check to see if the watch was magnetized (using the Lepsi app), and to my surprise, the app detected magnetism. I ended up buying a cheap $10 demagnetizer on Amazon, and after using it, the watch is now running less than -3s per day.

Henryj
Junior
Junior

Post by Henryj »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:58 pm
Henryj wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:05 pm Other than the timekeeping issue, this really is an exceptional watch.
I must be stupid or something as I thought the primary function of a watch was to tell the time. So, if a watch doesn’t do that how can it be ‘exceptional’? It’s like a pub with no beer - useless.

Me; ‘Oh, my cars fantastic’
Friend; ‘How does it handle?’
Me; ‘Not a clue, it doesn’t run - engines knackered’

That’s how stupid it sounds to me - sorry. Something can look as nice as you want but if doesn’t work it’s scrap value.
You’re not wrong. It’s mostly me trying to make mental lemonade out of a lemon CW sold me. As I said, style, fit, finish, size, WR, etc. are just what I was looking for when I started looking for a work/GMT watch. However, as you say, it fails in its primary function as a time keeper. With CW being unwilling to do anything beyond tell me it’s within tolerance, I’m feeling a bit stuck. At 35 or more fast now, I’ll try demagnetizing it and see where it lands. If it drops to -20 or more, I’ll know they did nothing, accept that CW won’t stand behind this product, and move on with my life, wearing a +3 spd SKX007 or quartz Seiko Arnie. However this ends up, I think I’m done with Christopher Ward.
Yesyesnono

Post by Yesyesnono »

Good morning all

I’m too in a similar position purchased two weeks back and it’s running around 25 seconds slow. I will do a check on it today and see no magnetism and given these have been appearing in the newly new for some time maybe there is a problem. I haven’t contacted CW yet. I will just see how it goes
percysmith

Post by percysmith »

I'm very sorry to hear
Trident C65 GMT started at >+8spd viewtopic.php?p=820076#p820076 , but now it doesn't go past +/- 0.5spd.

I know what you feel, I have same problem with Tissot Powermatic 80 https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/what ... t-52312229 . This one couldn't be fixed even with regulation.
I managed to fix my Trident C65 GMT thru watchmaker's regulation, I hope a watchmaker can do the same to yours.
benjcksn

Post by benjcksn »

Hi Everyone,

I created an account just to add my experience with the C65 GMT purchased around a month ago. It ran okay at the start but has progressively became slower to the point it is around 30 seconds slow per day. This is very similar to other experiences on this post, and I assume less-than-discerning purchasers also have this issue.

Discussing with CS they have given the same answers that if it is within tolerances when they test it then I will be paying for the service. I just don't want to take that risk at the moment when we're talking 10 seconds, but I have no doubt it will get worse at this rate. What does everyone think are the next steps? This is my first nice watch and its pretty frustrating to say the least, I would not recommend this model or brand based on my experiences so far.

I'll also add those cheap blue demagnetizers did nothing for me.