Finally got the bracelet off!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Finally got the bracelet off!

Post by jkbarnes »

After struggling off and in for weeks to remove the bracelet (I’d walk away as soon as I felt frustration building), I finally got it off! The trick was abandoning the tweezers and using a simple spring bar tool.

Put the Hirsch Arne on - perfect summer strap. Feels like a brand new watch!
8FB3DC6D-F386-40F6-85DC-CAD7A2779CE0.jpeg
C65 Trident Vintage w/ Hirsch Arne strap
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
Bident
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Re: Finally got the bracelet off!

Post by Bident »

Great to hear! Glad you found a way that works for you. Hopefully it will become easier.
Best regards,
John
mattjary
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by mattjary »

It is a bit fiddly at first, but as soon as you have done a few, your be changing straps and bracelets daily!
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Strap changing is a major challenge for me. It’s too fiddly. The last time I attempted it I hand St John’s ambulance on stand by for 1) blood pressure and 2) stab wounds where the spring bar tool miss the watch and penetrate my leg. I envy those with the patience and dexterity to do such things. Thank goodness for Quick Release
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

Kansas City Milkman wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 pm
...blood pressure...I envy those with the patience and dexterity to do such things. Thank goodness for Quick Release
I hear you! I keep the blood pressure in check by walking away as soon as I start to feel frustrated. And amen to quick release pins!
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

jkbarnes wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:13 pm
...blood pressure...I envy those with the patience and dexterity to do such things. Thank goodness for Quick Release
I hear you! I keep the blood pressure in check by walking away as soon as I start to feel frustrated. And amen to quick release pins!
I really need to re-seat the bracelet on my C700, but I’m going in to a cold sweat just even thinking about it.
0uatiOW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Phew, I thought it was just me. I spent probably 30 minutes fitting a bracelet to a C7 Rapide. I don’t have the appetite to remove it now. My MK2 C60 came on the bracelet, and I’ve never been brave enough to try to take it off.

Kudos to CW for going QR all the way - I recognise that it takes some investment to build a QR bracelet, but I really can’t understand why all strap manufacturers don’t offer this feature.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by tikkathree »

Oh well done but you know what they say about building on skill through practice? No, I have no idea either! Once you've had the bracelet off any watch you've overcome the first casual worry: that the pins have seized and will NOT move.

There are youtube videos showing the "length of cotton" technique: I haven't tried it myself but I'd say have a look, have a go: at least you aren't going to stab your finger/palm/thigh!
C60 MKI COSC black, MKI black GMT,
C60 300 white,
C60 MKII Day Date LE, GMT White, LE SH21 x2, ACAN, Bronze Ombre LE,
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC, Elite 1000 GMT,
C6 Kingfisher x4,
C60 K'fisher
C600 Tritech x 3,
C65 Anthropocene. Blue h/w,
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by TigerChris »

Removing bracelets is one of those things that becomes fairly natural the more you do it and find your own system. I find taking the bracelet off with the trusty 6767F and putting it back on with tweezers with Bergeon tips (cheap tweezers, replace the chocolate tips!) works for me and can now do it as easy as changing a leather strap - it took a lot of practice! For some reason, I have a slight fear of QR and prefer good old spring bars.
Leon O
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Leon O »

Strap changing is a major challenge for me. It’s too fiddly. The last time I attempted it I hand St John’s ambulance on stand by for stab wounds where the spring bar tool miss the watch and penetrate my leg. I envy those with the patience and dexterity to do such things. Thank goodness for Quick Release
Ouch!!! that's why I change straps and bracelets on the dining room table or work bench. I have nerve damage in my left hand, so it helps to have a solid surface. Sometimes for strap changes, my fingernails are more useful than my Bergeon strap changing tool. Admittedly, I have changed removed bracelets a few times :)
f_m_leon

Post by f_m_leon »

I've been looking for videos on YouTube and have found some, but none that really say "OK, here's how you do it." Many of them just show the watch, then just cut to the bracelet coming off and saying "Ok, now that that's done, we can move on."

I just take it to a jeweler in my local mall and they do it in about 5 seconds (for free, no less). I feel if I keep at it for too long, I'll either end up stabbing myself or flinging my watch across the room (and I don't want do that).

But if there are any direct video links, please post. I'm all ears.
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

Taking bracelets off is 10 times easier than putting back on. Number one tip is the right tools, never tweezers, quality spring bar tool (not cheap china one as prongs generally too soft and break). Always tape the lugs especially when replacing as they will get scratched if you don't. ps - I hate changing bracelets - also later mk2 ones are different to earlier ones as the pin position is different leading to sort of fitting which then falls off when pressure is applied to the strap during use.