C65 Trident GMT

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
zqt3

C65 Trident GMT

Post by zqt3 »

I have just begun watch collecting. I’m thinking about the C65 Trident GMT being my first nice mechanical watch. Seeing as this is my first, I would prefer to not have to worry about servicing. I would also like for it to be exceptionally accurate. Anybody have advice, or been where I am and did something different? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zqt3

C65 trident gmt Pepsi

Post by zqt3 »

Which one would you get?

https://imgur.com/gallery/t13A52e

Texan
CW-watches: 3

Re: C65 Trident GMT

Post by Texan »

I recently purchased a C65 GMT and I couldn't be happier with it. Mine is a limited Anthropocene C65. It's running about +10 spd out of the box but there's usually shift after a few week wearing a watch. This is my first GMT and it's been really cool to see the time where my loved ones are.

I would get the one with a bracelet. A good rule is if you can get it on a bracelet then do it. Plus the quick release levers make changing straps a breeze. I would pay the extra to have them size it for you since they're a pain to do yourself.
Hope this helps and good luck which ever way you go.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

The C65 Trident GMT is one of my favorites. I have the all steel black version which is great on any strap or bracelet.
20200619_195433201_iOS (2).jpg
20200612_134837955_iOS (2).jpg
As a general rule I try to get most watches on the bracelet because the bracelets are generally a lot more after the fact. It isn't as bad with CWL but it is worth keeping in mind. The bracelet after the fact is $165 on its own. Note that the C65 comes with a nice quick change bracelet that makes changing straps a breeze. Also note that the 41 mm C65 cases are all the same (22 mm lug width) so if you like other C65s and want to add to the collection you won't need a bracelet version because it will fit all of the C65 cases.

Servicing - Most mechanical watches will eventually need servicing for one reason or another. Always factor that into the purchase. The C65s have a movement that is very easy to get serviced and parts are readily available. Sending them back to CWL for service is still probably the best bet but not a necessity. There are threads on the board about cost and down time. You will hear a wide variation of when to get them serviced but most modern stuff is somewhere in the 5-7 year range. Take it from experience. I have a Rolex GMT Master that I did not get serviced for the better part of 20 years. It sat in the watch box unusable for about 5 years. Luckily it didn't need major work when I eventually got it serviced but I lost 5 years of wearing it in the process. If you absolutely are against service consider a quartz movement or roll the dice. It is not unheard of (but still on the rare side) of watches running flawlessly for many years after the recommended service interval. But keep this in mind, mechanical movements are a concert of small moving parts that need lubrication to keep running at optimal performance. Modern lubricants are way better than they used to be but they still wear out eventually and need to be removed and reapplied. Just my 2 cents.

The C65 GMT is a great watch for a first mechanical watch. You can't go wrong with that choice. Also welcome aboard! And pics when you get it!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
WWIAFTM

Post by WWIAFTM »

i have the pepsi GMT. it was my first Christopher Ward. it has a classic/retro look that reminds me of an old oyster perpetual for some reason. i really like the narrow bezel vs. most other GMT watches.

SlayedDreamer
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by SlayedDreamer »

I own the C65 Anthropocene and it is one of my most loved watches. It was my first mechanical watch and has been very accurate since I bought it early in the spring. The SW330 movement is very reliable, so you won't have to worry.

(This pic was taken in spring this year)
35A038AB-DB8D-40C2-A3E0-09E05F2F9348.jpeg.jpg
C1 Morgan Aero 8 | C65 Anthropocene | C65 Aquitaine Orca Black | C7 Rapide Chrono
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

zqt3 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:43 pm I would prefer to not have to worry about servicing. I would also like for it to be exceptionally accurate. Anybody have advice, or been where I am and did something different? TIA

Welcome to the crazy hobby, apologies for boring response below.

In terms of accuracy, the most accurate are quartz movements. Unfortunately CW dont offer the C65 in quartz. Typical quartz are usually +-15 seconds per month specs (expect +-5 ish on wrist). Mechanical watches are typically specced as +-15-30 seconds per day, but in practice this is usually +-5-10ish.

You can get chronometer watches in both quartz and mechanical, these tighten up accuracy. A particular certification is called COSC (Swiss watches only) and the specs are -4/+6 spd, in practice you will likely get a bit better. Quartz is +-0.07s@23C. CW dont offer the C65 chronometer (or maybe not yet and will be more expensive if they do)

As for servicing, all watches should be serviced every 3-5 years according to CW. For quartz this is likely to be the battery life anyway.
There is a plethora of debate on the requirements for servicing. Many never service mechanical watches are they work just fine, you'll hear lots of stories of Rolex going for decades and still being accurate.

In my opinion the most important aspect of the service is the pressure test (water tightness), especially if you take your watch in the water. For this reason 3-5 years is probably right. Also, if you want the watch to be an heirloom (unlikely in this price range) then you may wish to look after it better. Most watches like CW (except their amazing in house calibre) house "beater" movements like Sellita SW200 and SW300. These can be easily sourced if they get knackered (it may not be economically wise to do this for entry level watches but depends on how much you love the watch).

All CW watches come with a 5 year movement warranty, which is comforting.

So in summary, quartz are better in every way, but once you try on a mechanical in a design you like, chances are you will be bitten by the bug. After this you wont care, but will appreciate the marvel of tiny cogs and springs on your wrist.

My advise is, chose a watch you like and dont worry about all the crap above. If you like the C65, order, try on (dont take the stickers off!) and make a decision, you can always send back.

Hope this helps

JCC
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm