C60 Sapphire

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
PeteyP

C60 Sapphire

Post by PeteyP »

Hi everybody. I'm brand new here and am looking for someone with hands on experience with the C60 Sapphire. I think it's an absolutely stunning watch, and I especially like how unique it is. I do not own a CW, but I've been ogling them for a while and this one I find really special. Naturally, I've been reading reviews and checking in at YouTube for info. Christopher Ward has a pretty stellar reputation for quality, but there is someone on YouTube that finds the area where the crystal meets the bezel very "sharp" and/or "rough." So much so, he thinks it's a design defect. Long story short, I'd like to hear what those with "hands on" experience with this watch think. My fallback would be a C60 Trident in blue. Either way, I'm looking to acquire my first Christopher Ward soon. TIA for any and all insights.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C60 Sapphire

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum and posing an interesting conundrum for us. :problem:

We've got several C60 Sapphire owners on the forum and hopefully one or two of them will be along shortly to offer the benefit of their experience.

In the meantime, I've not got, or seen / handled, a C60 Sapphire myself but looking at the images on CW's website, there is a narrow trough around the inner edge of the bezel, which is filled between 0 - 15 and empty between 15 - 60 (rather like a moat). This looks to have a very narrow lip / edge adjacent to the crystal and I presume this is what the YouTube reviewer you mention is referring to.

Personally, I like this trough as a design feature, as it is different to the normal level surface of a bezel, but I can imagine that the edge of the narrow lip, being a right angle (i.e. not bevelled) may well feel a tad sharp or rough.

In reality though, is this a part of the watch that you would touch / feel during normal use? I think not.

Guy

PS> Any chance you will be able to link the relevant YouTube review for us to look at?
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I watched the YouTube review a couple of weeks ago.
The reviewer is specifically mentioning the edge of the sapphire crystal.

With some brands, the crystal meets flush with the bezel insert, but the C60 crystal sits above it relatively prominent.
I believe it's always been the case with C60 models, certainly is on my MK2.
He's complaining that this edge is very sharp :?
Ryan
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

I have one and just run by finger over the glass and where it meets the bezel.

It does feel rough, but certainly not sharp. It doesn’t feel it between 0-15, but from 15-60 I think. I don’t
Have any issues with it
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Here is the video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_k7lDnECA

What he is complaining about, really, is the raised crystal above the bezel. Many watches do this. It is an ascetic choice. My GMT Master from 1977 has the same design. The acrylic crystal edge feels rough to the touch (I just had a new crystal put in. It will probably dull with use being acrylic). It is no surprise that pieces of nail came off when he rubbed against it. Sapphire is hard.
20200706_141800888_iOS (2).jpg

My old Tag Heuer has a flush bezel for comparison. Not the greatest pic to illustrate the point but I think you can tell it is flush with the bezel. You can tell by the way that there is wear inside the bezel insert between the pip and 20. This wouldn't be there if the crystal was raised.

20200415_144715217_iOS.jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
PeteyP

Post by PeteyP »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I hadn't noticed that the first 15 seconds of the bezel is "filled" and now, after re-watching the video, it's clearer to me what he is talking about. Not sure how they could have the first quarter of the bezel lumed like that without having the "trough." I really don't see this as being an issue.
Davy Crockett
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Davy Crockett »

I have ordered a C60 Sapphire and will let you know when it arrives. It said early July which is NOW!!!!!
2otto2

Post by 2otto2 »

Davy Crockett wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:38 pm I have ordered a C60 Sapphire and will let you know when it arrives. It said early July which is NOW!!!!!
They are shipping right now. Mine is scheduled for tomorrow.
GreenHighlander
CW-watches: 6

Post by GreenHighlander »

2otto2 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:57 pm
Davy Crockett wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:38 pm I have ordered a C60 Sapphire and will let you know when it arrives. It said early July which is NOW!!!!!
They are shipping right now. Mine is scheduled for tomorrow.
Great. Mine is on order to ship mid-July.