C65 Dartmouth QC Question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
BJH
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 18

Re: C65 Dartmouth QC Question

Post by BJH »

My but you guys are good. It is the Carrier A2 Strap. Many thanks for you help.
Just been informed by CW that my new Dartmouth is on the way so I had better order the strap sharpish.
Thank again.
Heboil
CW-watches: 1

Post by Heboil »

OK... sorry to update but I spoke too soon. The problem I had didn't come back, but I didn't notice until the next day that the hand alignment was off. It wasn't TERRIBLE, but it was 3 minutes off 12 consistently around the dial. Poor workmanship when putting the hands on. I called CW and talked to Customer Service. They sent a DHL courier to pick it up and all was good... but I was going to give it one last shot.

The 3rd C65 Dartmouth came today. Hand alignment is still off, and this time, the arrow at 12 on the bezel is off-center. I am calling tomorrow to send it back. Unfortunately, this was the last shot. Three strikes and you're out. I hope for everyone else's sake that I just got unlucky, but I experienced both bad QC and good CS (customer service). They tried. Just fell short, which it too bad because I love the look of the watch.

C'est la vie.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

^^^You'd think that when exchanging a watch, due to a QC issue, that they’d inspect the replacement, prior to sending it out, wouldn’t you?
Steve.
Heboil

Post by Heboil »

Thermexman wrote:^^^You'd think that when exchanging a watch, due to a QC issue, that they’d inspect the replacement, prior to sending it out, wouldn’t you?
You would think so. On each subsequent attempt, they put notes on the order for what to check for prior to shipping, but that didn't help.

The most distressing thing was that when the second one was sent back, the technicians couldn't see anything wrong with the hand alignment. Every other watch I have (save one), has hand alignment that is spot on. More expensive and less expensive. This watch doesn't even have a date complication. Hand alignment shouldn't be too challenging.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

OPs watch: The hour markers 7/8/9/10/11/12 markers are all pushed slightly to the right.

NBGs watch: All markers look fine but the the bezel Triangle is clearly out.

There really shouldn't be noticeable errors like this.

I'm a fan of CW but that doesn't change the fact that ALL of their watches should be perfectly executed and those that aren't should be returned to the manufacturer
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

Heboil wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:18 am OK... sorry to update but I spoke too soon. The problem I had didn't come back, but I didn't notice until the next day that the hand alignment was off. It wasn't TERRIBLE, but it was 3 minutes off 12 consistently around the dial. Poor workmanship when putting the hands on. I called CW and talked to Customer Service. They sent a DHL courier to pick it up and all was good... but I was going to give it one last shot.

The 3rd C65 Dartmouth came today. Hand alignment is still off, and this time, the arrow at 12 on the bezel is off-center. I am calling tomorrow to send it back. Unfortunately, this was the last shot. Three strikes and you're out. I hope for everyone else's sake that I just got unlucky, but I experienced both bad QC and good CS (customer service). They tried. Just fell short, which it too bad because I love the look of the watch.

C'est la vie.
I was just about to buy one of these (in blue) but I won't now. :0(
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

redmonaco wrote:OPs watch: The hour markers 7/8/9/10/11/12 markers are all pushed slightly to the right.
. . ...or is it a case of parallax error?

We are not able to be certain that the OP's photo is taken centrally and exactly straight on with both watch and camera in a flat position relative to each other.

Simply posing the question.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Heboil

Post by Heboil »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:35 pm
redmonaco wrote:OPs watch: The hour markers 7/8/9/10/11/12 markers are all pushed slightly to the right.
. . ...or is it a case of parallax error?

We are not able to be certain that the OP's photo is taken centrally and exactly straight on with both watch and camera in a flat position relative to each other.

Simply posing the question.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
I wish it was the case. I just took a picture of my 3rd watch. I am posting it below. I've had other dive watches, supercompressors, pilot watches, 3 handers, chronographs, etc... but the parallax error doesn't crop up on any of my other watches. I put a loupe on and got in close... looks pretty off from inches away. That said, I still was talking to my wife today about giving them another shot. She generally doesn't get involved in my watch decisions, but she was pretty firm about telling me to move on and start over.

For this photo, I rotated it and dropped lines horizontally and vertically to make sure it was straight. Second hand and hour hand line up essentially perfectly down the vertical line. The minute hand is clearly off. You can also see how the arrow on the bezel isn't aligned. There may be "some" parallax error, but it certainly isn't that much :(

If I haven't made it clear, this bums me out. This was THE blue watch I wanted in my collection. I have been spinning my wheels for a few days looking at alternatives, but I haven't found one that checks all the boxes that this one did.

macro.jpg
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Heboil - thanks for going to the trouble of taking an extra photo which, as you allude to, is as straight on as it can be and certainly cures any possible parallax error. It certainly make the hour markers 7/8/9/10/11/12 seem more correctly positioned.

Good luck in the discussions with your wife and deliberations of what to do next.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Good thread for info....I'm slightly confused on your last photo though. Looking at it, the hour hand is lined up on the 6. The seconds hand, which is completely independent of both is on the 12. I see the minutes hand on the 3. If you rotate the crown back and put the minute hand on 12, what is the hour hand doing. Or....a better pic would be. Put all 3 hands on the 12 and line them up, once you do that, we can tell if you have a misalignment. But where you have it now, I can recreate that look on any watch I own. I stop the seconds. Put the hour on 6 and keep going til the minutes is on 3.

As for the bezel....yea it looks off to the left....you sure they didn't send you the other posters return watch?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Heboil

Post by Heboil »

brash47 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:36 am Good thread for info....I'm slightly confused on your last photo though. Looking at it, the hour hand is lined up on the 6. The seconds hand, which is completely independent of both is on the 12. I see the minutes hand on the 3. If you rotate the crown back and put the minute hand on 12, what is the hour hand doing. Or....a better pic would be. Put all 3 hands on the 12 and line them up, once you do that, we can tell if you have a misalignment. But where you have it now, I can recreate that look on any watch I own. I stop the seconds. Put the hour on 6 and keep going til the minutes is on 3.

As for the bezel....yea it looks off to the left....you sure they didn't send you the other posters return watch?

I'm confused by your post. When the minute hand crosses the 12 (or triangle), the hour hand is supposed to be perfectly lined up to the middle of the corresponding hour marker. If the hour hand is perfectly lined up, the minute hand should be bang on the 12. If it isn't, it was installed incorrectly. I have taken a watch to a watchmaker and he has re-placed the hands to get the alignment perfect. It was a few minute job. All my other watches do this from the factory (as they should).
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Ok glad you got it worked out. I was trying to get you to post a pic of where the hour hand is when you have the minute hand on the 12. That would be given a better shot to what was going on for me and what to watch for. In a perfect world, every 10 minutes the minute hand moves, the hour hand will move 1 minute tick. At 5 minutes, the hour hand would be between the hour marker and the 1st tick next to it, and so on. I saw the minute hand at 3 and from the pic couldnt tell if the hour hand was centered or slightly moved where the 3 minutes of movement would put it.

It's supposed to move around that much in a perfect world, but its never really exact. So thats why I asked to see a pic of all hands lined up at 12, to see how much descrepency there was in the hand placement. I'm always looking to see if there is an error from the factory.
Heboil

Post by Heboil »

brash47 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:07 am Ok glad you got it worked out. I was trying to get you to post a pic of where the hour hand is when you have the minute hand on the 12. That would be given a better shot to what was going on for me and what to watch for. In a perfect world, every 10 minutes the minute hand moves, the hour hand will move 1 minute tick. At 5 minutes, the hour hand would be between the hour marker and the 1st tick next to it, and so on. I saw the minute hand at 3 and from the pic couldnt tell if the hour hand was centered or slightly moved where the 3 minutes of movement would put it.

It's supposed to move around that much in a perfect world, but its never really exact. So thats why I asked to see a pic of all hands lined up at 12, to see how much descrepency there was in the hand placement. I'm always looking to see if there is an error from the factory.
OK. I think I follow. I will take a pic to illustrate where it is based on what you are talking about. Lining up at 12 does not help, as they obscure each other and it is hard to see where the point of the hands are pointing to.
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Sounds like you got it fixed though

Heboil

Post by Heboil »

brash47 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:46 am Sounds like you got it fixed thoughImage

Well yes and no. I did what you suggested. The camera wasn't straight to the watch, but I did get it vertically. I dropped a dotted line right down the middle and the hour hand is "JUST" off. When I move the hour hand to line up, it is somewhere between 1-3 minutes off... which is just a hair off. If I hadn't had the previous problems, I likely wouldn't have even noticed this until much later. The problem I can't unsee is that the arrow on the bezel insert isn't centered :( . Here is the new pic:
chrward.jpg