C65 Dartmouth QC Question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C65 Dartmouth QC Question

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

brash47 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:07 am
In a perfect world, every 10 minutes the minute hand moves, the hour hand will move 1 minute tick. At 5 minutes, the hour hand would be between the hour marker and the 1st tick next to it, and so on.
That would be a perfect world where the hours last 50 minutes. I think you will find that the hour hand takes 12 minutes to travel from one minute marker to the next.

Applying this and factoring in that the hour hand travels through 30° of arc in one hour, it becomes apparent that an error of three minutes translates to 1.5°, or a quarter of one “minute”. More than enough to be visible and irritating. Take an image with a level horizon and a perpendicular vertical and tilt it by only one or two degrees in Photoshop.

:D
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Heboil
CW-watches: 1

Post by Heboil »

hadon2525 wrote:Mind you, I do love this watch, I'm extremely tempted by this watch. (In blue).
Sorry. I hadn't seen this post. The canvas was a WWII canvas bag a strap maker turned into a strap for a different watch. It is pretty versatile.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

brash47
Senior
Senior

Post by brash47 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
brash47 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:07 am
In a perfect world, every 10 minutes the minute hand moves, the hour hand will move 1 minute tick. At 5 minutes, the hour hand would be between the hour marker and the 1st tick next to it, and so on.
That would be a perfect world where the hours last 50 minutes. I think you will find that the hour hand takes 12 minutes to travel from one minute marker to the next.

Applying this and factoring in that the hour hand travels through 30° of arc in one hour, it becomes apparent that an error of three minutes translates to 1.5°, or a quarter of one “minute”. More than enough to be visible and irritating. Take an image with a level horizon and a perpendicular vertical and tilt it by only one or two degrees in Photoshop.

:D
What he said....12 not 10.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

brash47
Senior
Senior

Post by brash47 »

Heboil wrote:
brash47 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:46 am
Sounds like you got it fixed thoughImage

Well yes and no. I did what you suggested. The camera wasn't straight to the watch, but I did get it vertically. I dropped a dotted line right down the middle and the hour hand is "JUST" off. When I move the hour hand to line up, it is somewhere between 1-3 minutes off... which is just a hair off. If I hadn't had the previous problems, I likely wouldn't have even noticed this until much later. The problem I can't unsee is that the arrow on the bezel insert isn't centered :( . Here is the new pic:
chrward.jpg
I see it now. Once you see it, it can't be undone. I'd still give em one more shot. When they ask, send those photos you posted.

Heboil

Post by Heboil »

If the last pic was obscured with the dotted yellow line, I have removed it here. It is easier to see that it is off... the the "offness" equates to the 2-3 minutes off from the pic from a couple of days ago.
chrwardalignment.jpg

JAFO
Senior
Senior

Post by JAFO »

^^ just looking at the above picture, can you confirm? You saying the hour hand is not precisely on the 6 when the minute hand is on the 12. .... And that the minute hand gets to about 3 minutes past before the hour hand lines up correctly. I see what you mean. I doubt I would have noticed without you pointing it out, but you are right. I am away on a break, but just checked the 3 watches I have with me (2 CW, 1 not) and they all align pretty perfectly. it ought to be easy for a watchmaker to reset the hands, although a bit of a pain to do. Every video I have seen about hand installation makes it clear how they align hands. It doesn't look like parallax to me.

The triangle pip on the bezel also seems to be slightly offset towards the 59 minute compared with the 1 minute, and this is less easily fixed, I imagine, although it depends how the pip is actually attached to the bezel.

Good luck.

StrappedUp
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by StrappedUp »

Sometimes there is enough slack when adjusting the hands that allow this to happen, but also to correct it as well.

You may have already tried, but set the hour hand bang on, then twiddle the crown slightly. If there is enough play, you may get the minute hand to sync.

Heboil

Post by Heboil »

JAFO wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:10 pm
^^ just looking at the above picture, can you confirm? You saying the hour hand is not precisely on the 6 when the minute hand is on the 12. .... And that the minute hand gets to about 3 minutes past before the hour hand lines up correctly. I see what you mean. I doubt I would have noticed without you pointing it out, but you are right. I am away on a break, but just checked the 3 watches I have with me (2 CW, 1 not) and they all align pretty perfectly. it ought to be easy for a watchmaker to reset the hands, although a bit of a pain to do. Every video I have seen about hand installation makes it clear how they align hands. It doesn't look like parallax to me.

The triangle pip on the bezel also seems to be slightly offset towards the 59 minute compared with the 1 minute, and this is less easily fixed, I imagine, although it depends how the pip is actually attached to the bezel.

Good luck.
Bingo. The 2nd watch I had, the hand alignment was worse. The minute hand was between the 3/4/5 where the hour hand was perfectly centered. This one is better, and like I said, I might not have noticed but for the fact I was looking because I sent the last one back for this reason.

I had a very capable local watchmaker align the hands on another watch for me. It was a one day job and it is perfect now. Cost was $45 CAD (~25GBP). If I could do that without voiding the warranty and CW would send me a new bezel with the pip aligned, I would keep it. It is keeping almost perfect time, I love the size and the wearability, and the blue is the EXACT color I wanted. Doesn't hurt that I was always lusting after the Omega 300 Seamaster from the '70s.

The big issue for me is that I ordered it first on June 20th and it is almost September and CW has not been able to get it right. They are trying, but I have had "a" CW watch in my possession for maybe 2 weeks of the 2 months I have owned the watch.

There is one other issue I am having, but I am chalking it up to clerical and not freaking out about it... yet.
  • I bought the first watch via Paypal. Returned and was refunded to Paypal.
  • I "ordered" the second watch over the phone as I was talking to Customer Service. I asked how to pay for it and they said to email the same Paypal address from before and note the order number. I did that. Maybe a couple of hours later I got a notice from Paypal to pay an invoice from Christopher Ward. I ignored the request as I had sent the payment already. There was confusion about my payment and it took CW almost a week until they finally acknowledged I paid for the second watch and they sent me a proof of purchase. When I returned the watch, CW told me it was returned and I would be notified. I never got refunded to Paypal for the second watch.
  • I then placed the third order over the phone with a credit card. This is the watch I have now.
I have called a half dozen times and spoken to multiple people about this. I am on the other side of the world, so it isn't convenient from a phone call perspective. When I am waking up, their day is ending at the office. Whatever the case, I have been raising this with multiple people and I haven't been refunded. It is now a week. I have paid for two watches and have one (technically I paid for three and got three, refunded for one but still only have one). This all stems from the fact the new accounting system does not allow for exchanges anymore, but you need to do a refund and repurchase.

It isn't rocket science. CW knows I only have one C65 Dartmouth, but they have two payments (which neither of them have been refunded).

The fact that I am even contemplating keeping the watch just tells you how much I like it considering all the hassles.

Heboil

Post by Heboil »

So knock off the refund concern. The refund was issued this morning. Now I am just trying to resolve the hand alignment and bezel insert...