The way I went for the big half cent-ury

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Macdaz
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 8

The way I went for the big half cent-ury

Post by Macdaz »

It was the big 5-0 last week, I wanted something special, probably limited edition and different to most of my collection. You may have seen my other post regarding the trials and tribulations of that journey.
I picked out the ORIS Big Crown Pointer Date, but for the first time ever, when I saw it in the flesh, I was really disappointed and it went back that day. I was gutted. But, returning back to CW, the stars aligned later on my birthday and something VERY special happened.

As a result of some fantastic generosity, I landed a watch I always thought would be out of reach. The C8 Al Deere. I’ve loved watches since I was seven, but fell in love with Spitfires before then.I know they are a little steep for some ‘scrap metal’ but this purchase is pure emotion, no sense and logic! I get a real buzz from having a little piece of the most beautiful thing man has ever designed on my wrist. It's also my first COSC and my first proper in house movement. I'm delighted. It really is a lovely thing.

A question for those with an SH21 handwind, how long does it take to wind? I've answered this question many times for an ETA or Sellita movement but I've no idea with this. I've wound and wound and wound until I got scared, but I'm not sure how close I was!

Pics to prove it happened.
Attachments
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg
Omega SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Orient Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C3 Malvern|Seiko Recraft|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok Komandirskie 1965|Laco Aachen|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AM GT LE|C60 Bronze

Bungle-ator
Expert
Expert

Re: The way I went for the big half cent-ury

Post by Bungle-ator »

It's somewhere close to 100 winds give or take.

Don't be scared of it, unless you're winding it like a mad man the mechanism will be sufficient enough to stop you overwinding and you'll feel the definite stop.

Edit: it's a great looking watch, congrats.

Macdaz
Expert
Expert

Post by Macdaz »

Bungle-ator wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:50 pm
It's somewhere close to 100 winds give or take.

Don't be scared of it, unless you're winding it like a mad man the mechanism will be sufficient enough to stop you overwinding and you'll feel the definite stop.

Edit: it's a great looking watch, congrats.
Thanks. I don’t think I got near 100. I’m always really careful when hand winding. My dad taught me well in 1977 with my Timex Sprite, so I’ll be a bit braver next time!
Omega SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Orient Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C3 Malvern|Seiko Recraft|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok Komandirskie 1965|Laco Aachen|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AM GT LE|C60 Bronze

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 25
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Agreed; approx 100 winds for the SH21. I think of it as 20 winds per 24 hrs worth of PR. :thumbup:

More importantly, what a fabulous purchase and so much more special for your 50th. Congratulations. :clap: :clap:

Slightly off piste, I had a similar 'stars align' for my 50th.

Was out shopping on a Saturday morning, that was my birthday. Got back into the car and found I had an email on my phone from Grand Prix Legends advising of the bereavement of Richard Burns (Rally Driver) and that they had a 'last few remaining' signed models of his Peugeot 206 WRC car. I bought one; still proudly on display in my lounge.

Guy
C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg MkII| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 PR
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex| C60 Chrono P'type| C65 S'hurst| C65 GMT| C70 HRDC| C1000

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Congratulations on a fabulous acquisition! :thumbup:

I’m with you on your opinion of the Spitfire design. I have lived with the legacy for a long time. Reginald Mitchell was an old boy of my school, the sense of him was everywhere and in pride of place in the school foyer a Spitfire propeller hung over the entrance to the hall.

A few years ago, accompanying a school trip to Duxford organised by my dear friend and history colleague, we were treated to a Spitfire doing loops and figures of eight over the airfield. The children were bemused to say the least by the sight of two middle-aged men getting very emotional watching an aeroplane. The watch would not be my thing, but I totally understand the sentiment.

Again congratulations – wear in good health and with pride.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Davy Crockett
CW-watches: 1

Post by Davy Crockett »

"Things happen for a reason" my old Nan used to say :lol:

Congratulations and a great watch... stunning when you read its story!

My big 5-0 later this year too, I don't need any tempting!!!! :lol:

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations!!

Your photos are also excellent and are needed in the Reference Gallery.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.

Macdaz
Expert
Expert

Post by Macdaz »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:22 pm
Agreed; approx 100 winds for the SH21. I think of it as 20 winds per 24 hrs worth of PR. :thumbup:

More importantly, what a fabulous purchase and so much more special for your 50th. Congratulations. :clap: :clap:

Slightly off piste, I had a similar 'stars align' for my 50th.

Was out shopping on a Saturday morning, that was my birthday. Got back into the car and found I had an email on my phone from Grand Prix Legends advising of the bereavement of Richard Burns (Rally Driver) and that they had a 'last few remaining' signed models of his Peugeot 206 WRC car. I bought one; still proudly on display in my lounge.

Guy
In that case Guy, I resolve that henceforth, every birthday will be my 50th!
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:46 am
Congratulations on a fabulous acquisition! :thumbup:

I’m with you on your opinion of the Spitfire design. I have lived with the legacy for a long time. Reginald Mitchell was an old boy of my school, the sense of him was everywhere and in pride of place in the school foyer a Spitfire propeller hung over the entrance to the hall.

A few years ago, accompanying a school trip to Duxford organised by my dear friend and history colleague, we were treated to a Spitfire doing loops and figures of eight over the airfield. The children were bemused to say the least by the sight of two middle-aged men getting very emotional watching an aeroplane. The watch would not be my thing, but I totally understand the sentiment.

Again congratulations – wear in good health and with pride.
Thanks Steve, I've never been up in a Spitfire, been buzzed by one when I was in an old Dehaviland at Duxford, but I too get emotional when I see one, In truth I only have to hear one...We've all got our things!!
Kip wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:48 am
Congratulations!!

Kip, do I do this or you? Edit: I've added them!

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by albionphoto »

Congratulations on the big 5-0 and the "Al Deere". For my 50th the other half bought me a C9 Moonphase when we made a birthday visit to the CW showroom.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Omega, Orion, Oris and Seiko

Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Viognier »

Congratulations on your new CW and your 50th !
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Macdaz wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:16 pm
]
Kip wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:48 am
Congratulations!!

Kip, do I do this or you? Edit: I've added them!
Thank you. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Thegreyman »

A very special watch for your milestone birthday, many congratulations!
Patrick

C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C65 Ombre COSC LE, W11 Amelia (wife)

Some others + a few on the way

Macdaz
Expert
Expert

Post by Macdaz »

Thanks all, I’m still doing a double take when I see it!

irmac13

Post by irmac13 »

Congrats for this beautiful piece

Noush
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Noush »

Congrats on both the birthday and this beautiful peace. Terrible shame it's just too much watch for my skinny wrist, but there you go...
It continues to amaze me how serendipity in our lives can so importantly overtake our considered planning.

There can be little doubt the Spitfire is an icon that means so much to so many. It gives me quite some joy that my grandfather's name appears on many drawings in the Spitfire's service manual. He never said, although I'd known he'd worked there during the war. It wasn't until I saw a documentary on a restoration where they were pouring over original drawings and there it was. To this day I have photo plates of work he later did at Jacques Engineering after immigrating to Australia. It's incredible.

Yeah, there's a bit of a tear in my eye as I write this. Special. ENJOY!!
Chris
CW C65, Stowa Marine, Hamilton Khaki Field, Tissot Carson, Junghans Chronoscope, Seiko Cocktail Time, G Shock square.