Selita vs seiko winding difference

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jayrob84

Selita vs seiko winding difference

Post by jayrob84 »

Just brought my first CW. A c60 40m.
I've noticed it's alot harder to wind it compared with my seiko Samurai. Is it normal?
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Re: Selita vs seiko winding difference

Post by Commisar »

jayrob84 wrote:Just brought my first CW. A c60 40m.
I've noticed it's alot harder to wind it compared with my seiko Samurai. Is it normal?
Yes, in my experience the ETA 2824 based movements, be they in house to SWATCH brands or clones like Selitta, are harder to hand wind then Seiko based movements.

Not like trying to stir concrete, but not as "light feeling"

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Ditto.
I have several ETA/Sellita movements in my CW watches as well as 7S26, NH36 and 6R35 movements in my Seiko collection. Seiko do seem to wind easier compared to Sellita movements. Saying that though, my Seikos seem to need almost twice the number of turns of the crown before I feel than to reach full. A difference in gearing perhaps?
Either way, all perform impeccably and run like dreams.
I would only panic if you feel the rotor spinning as you hand wind or feel specific grittiness, crunching or dead resistance.

Keep safe,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Jcalder68 wrote:Ditto.
I have several ETA/Sellita movements in my CW watches as well as 7S26, NH36 and 6R35 movements in my Seiko collection. Seiko do seem to wind easier compared to Sellita movements. Saying that though, my Seikos seem to need almost twice the number of turns of the crown before I feel than to reach full. A difference in gearing perhaps?
Either way, all perform impeccably and run like dreams.
I would only panic if you feel the rotor spinning as you hand wind or feel specific grittiness, crunching or dead resistance.

Keep safe,

C
Yep, of OP heard a CRUNCH, cracking or snapping as he turned the crown..... Warranty time

Same with the spinning rotor (you'll feel it, makes the watch vibrate)

Else it's all good Image

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Also OP, FWIW, the Seiko 4R36 in your Samurai wasn't released until 2011. The movement it's loosely based on, the 7S26, is from 1992, and I'm sure the ability to hack and hand wind changed a good deal of components.

The ETA 2824 is from the 1970s, so it and it's clones/modifications are all essentially 1970s era technologically wise. Which shows you how rock solid the movement is.

johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Im going to buck the trend here and say that the 2824/SW200s ive had have always been smoother to wind that seiko movements (or orient for that matter). Maybe they have a tad more resistance but the smoothness is almost cathartic.

Now ive not owned the higher seikos like 6rs or 8rs or better so cant vouch for these, but their lower grade movements always feel a bit "grainy" to me
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I just bought a 595 and noticed it's stiff to wind. Winds quickly though. It was fully wound in about 18 turns. I have a nearly 50 year old omega that has always wound much more easily, so I was surprised by the stiffness. Obviously not just me. I have just ordered a 65 diver, and I imagine that will be the same, then.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Yes, they have a lot more resistance. OTOH, the Sellita SW-330 (ETA 2893 equivalent) in my CW Trident GMT mk2 is buttery smooth. Strange.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The C65 Diver uses a different movement and is, in my experience, very easy to wind. I wonder if the greater apparent difficulty in winding the 595 is related to what appears to be a very small crown? This would be naturally more difficult to rotate.

CW Archive entries:

C65 Trident Diver

Malvern 595
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Migzy

Post by Migzy »

I've always preferred the feel of my eta movements over my seikos. They just feel more robust or better quality. Not sure if its movement snobbery but it's the way I think of them.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

All my Seiko watches are silky smooth to wind. All my Selita/ETA are much firmer to wind.
Steve.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The 595:manual I just bought is the hardest watch I have to wind by a long way. All of my autos are easy. I actually bought one of the Calvin klein infinite watches with a auto ETA 2824. Awfully hard to grasp the tiny winder, but it's not so hard to wind, and anyway, you can set the time, and get it running with a couple of shakes. The trouble with a manual wind is that you have to wind it.
alpina

Post by alpina »

The eta2824 in my Aquaracer is buttery smooth,smoother than the 6r15 and 8L35 I own, the eta2824 in the Deep Blue I had was grittier and about on par with the Seiko movements