Selita vs seiko winding difference

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jayrob84

Selita vs seiko winding difference

Post by jayrob84 »

Just brought my first CW. A c60 40m.
I've noticed it's alot harder to wind it compared with my seiko Samurai. Is it normal?

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Re: Selita vs seiko winding difference

Post by Commisar »

jayrob84 wrote:Just brought my first CW. A c60 40m.
I've noticed it's alot harder to wind it compared with my seiko Samurai. Is it normal?
Yes, in my experience the ETA 2824 based movements, be they in house to SWATCH brands or clones like Selitta, are harder to hand wind then Seiko based movements.

Not like trying to stir concrete, but not as "light feeling"

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Jcalder68
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Ditto.
I have several ETA/Sellita movements in my CW watches as well as 7S26, NH36 and 6R35 movements in my Seiko collection. Seiko do seem to wind easier compared to Sellita movements. Saying that though, my Seikos seem to need almost twice the number of turns of the crown before I feel than to reach full. A difference in gearing perhaps?
Either way, all perform impeccably and run like dreams.
I would only panic if you feel the rotor spinning as you hand wind or feel specific grittiness, crunching or dead resistance.

Keep safe,

C
CW Watches (To Date): C65 Trident Vintage MK2, C65 Sandhurst, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Pro 300, C60 Pro 600 Vintage, C65 GMT.
Others (To Date): Sinn 104, Seiko SNA411, G-Shock, Seiko SKX007

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Jcalder68 wrote:Ditto.
I have several ETA/Sellita movements in my CW watches as well as 7S26, NH36 and 6R35 movements in my Seiko collection. Seiko do seem to wind easier compared to Sellita movements. Saying that though, my Seikos seem to need almost twice the number of turns of the crown before I feel than to reach full. A difference in gearing perhaps?
Either way, all perform impeccably and run like dreams.
I would only panic if you feel the rotor spinning as you hand wind or feel specific grittiness, crunching or dead resistance.

Keep safe,

C
Yep, of OP heard a CRUNCH, cracking or snapping as he turned the crown..... Warranty time

Same with the spinning rotor (you'll feel it, makes the watch vibrate)

Else it's all good Image

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Also OP, FWIW, the Seiko 4R36 in your Samurai wasn't released until 2011. The movement it's loosely based on, the 7S26, is from 1992, and I'm sure the ability to hack and hand wind changed a good deal of components.

The ETA 2824 is from the 1970s, so it and it's clones/modifications are all essentially 1970s era technologically wise. Which shows you how rock solid the movement is.