To Wind Watch or Watch Winder

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Re: To Wind Watch or Watch Winder

Post by Foxman50 »

Amor, when you say “take care screwing in the crown”, could you expand please.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Certainly. With screwdown crowns it is possible to misalign the threads when screwing the crown back down if you are not careful. This causes cross threading and obviously can damage the thread.

I have never had this happened to me because I have always done the following: taking the crown between thumb and first finger, I apply gentle pressure in towards the case of the watch, while at the same time rotating the crown anticlockwise. When you feel a little click the threads are engaged. Now, without releasing that pressure start to screw the crown clockwise and it works perfectly every time.

It’s AVO, by the way. Only Spanish speaking ladies are allowed to call me Amor! :lol:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

In that case its a clear Avo :thumbup:

Many thanks for the reply, and i will adopt that technique. I believe i may have done exactly what you have described to my Seiko unfortunately.

Macdaz
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by Macdaz »

Foxman50 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:44 am
So i have just taken the dog for a walk, about 3 miles an hours walk, and at my usual pace which is more a march than a stroll. This got me wondering how long does the movement actually take to fully charge, if that's the correct term, the watch from dead.

....Apologies as i do tend to overthink things.
I overthink things too. I even overthink about how much I overthink, but strangely the watch winder conundrum is never one that has bothered me. I take it out of the box, set the time and date, give it a gentle shake until it starts and then I put it on. Job done!

In terms of the charge time, I've always been interested in this and only fairly recently got a C9 AM GT LE with a power reserve indicator. Interestingly if I drive to work (about two hours, with a lot of gear changing) It's pretty much charged by the time I get there. Conversely, if I'm sat at a desk working at home it may not make 80% by the end of the day. (I tend to wind this to 50% as it runs horribly fast when it's under about 75% PR)
Omega SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Orient Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C3 Malvern|Seiko Recraft|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok Komandirskie 1965|Laco Aachen|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AM GT LE|C60 Bronze

Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

If you drive anything like i do then that's a lot of vigorous movement indeed :lol:

Really interesting though and having the charge display would be very useful. I am really surprised, although Ive read this previously, how not having full charge affects the operation. You would have thought it would run slow not fast when under charged.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Not necessarily. The torque in the spring can affect the amplitude of the balance wheel’s oscillation. Particularly as a watch approaches zero state of wind, the amplitude decreases and therefore the time between oscillations also decreases. Hence the watch runs faster. I think that’s the theory, but I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. They usually do! :lol:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

I should have stuck with Timex :?

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by H0rati0 »

All things being equal, Steve is correct that a watch should run faster as it runs out of power for the reason he states.

To chime in on winders, I use a 4 hole winder because I wear up to three watches a day and I don't want to be setting them if they have stopped, thus keep them running. When a particular watch drops off the duty roster it goes in the safe and runs down, remaining stopped until it goes back on duty. I do not subscribe to "best for the watch to keep it running" theories. That's it.

Also, I advocate servicing a watch only when you notice it is not running well (poor timekeeping) 3-4 years is way too soon for watches on rotation IMHO. I have formed these views after substantial experience with old pocket watches, some of which had not seen a service for maybe a century and yet still ran well after a little TLC (modern synthetic oils) and using a Rolex DJ as a daily wearer for 25 years with no problems and only a single service.

YMMV of course.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 25
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Foxman50 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:01 am
. . . . .. . . .
Thanks vRS, does that relate to Skoda, ive had MKI, MKII facelift and MKIII love them all, though does seem odd CW wouldn’t keep records.

Thanks all again.

Indeed it does. :D Counjoured up my forum name when I joined Briskoda.net as the owner of a lowly Fabia 1.4mpi back in 2004/5. Forum life was addictive and it soon had quite a few tweaks. Traded up to an Octavia vRS TDI (MkII), suitably modified over the years. Then moved on to my current Yeti vRS; well, if you know your Skodas you will know they don't do a vRS spec Yeti. Mine is what one would be, if they did. :D Image

Foxman50 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:36 am
@Bahnstormer_vRS just thought i would post a pic of my last vRS, best car i have had by far. This is when you say it has nothing to do with Skoda :D
20150416_111233.JPG
Ooh, Rally Green, my aspirational colour for a vRS. My 'Trusty Steed' Yeti, Kevin, is Tangerine Orange; always liked bright coloured cars.

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:51 am
It’s actually not especially easy to damage a good mechanical watch simply by using it. There really are not many completely right or completely wrong answers here. Guy (above, who is definitely a Skoda man by the way) tends to start a watch by wearing it early in the morning then set it when it is running nicely. He would be able to tell you more about that.

As long as you don’t change the date between 8 pm and about 2 am, and as long as you take care screwing the crown in, you’ll be fine.
Coming back on topic :wink:

As @AVO suggests, my current modus operandi with automatics is that they sit in my watch box powered down. I select the one I wish to wear next day before going to bed and put it aside. Come morning, I place it on my wrist and within 15 - 20 mins it is running, to then be set at breakfast.

I have 2 x two watch winders (one failed) which I use to keep a couple of special watches on the go; basically ones that I don't want to faff around to set.

Back in the day, when I had a significantly smaller collecting than current, I had a couple of winders and would operate a rotation system of wind / wear / rest. That way, I could keep several watches on the go 24/7/52.

As to the question of to wind or not to wind, I've no strong view either way. Its really a matter of what you find easiest & most convenient.

Guy
C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg MkII| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 PR
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex| C60 Chrono P'type| C65 S'hurst| C65 GMT| C70 HRDC| C1000

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by TigerChris »

Question: Why do some people try and make such a simple thing as wearing a watch so complicated?! It’s simple - wind it, set it, wear it.

Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

TigerChris wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:28 am
Question: Why do some people try and make such a simple thing as wearing a watch so complicated?! It’s simple - wind it, set it, wear it.
Chris, that does seem to be the consensus.

Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:12 pm
Indeed it does. :D Counjoured up my forum name when I joined Briskoda.net as the owner of a lowly Fabia 1.4mpi back in 2004/5. Forum life was addictive and it soon had quite a few tweaks. Traded up to an Octavia vRS TDI (MkII), suitably modified over the years. Then moved on to my current Yeti vRS; well, if you know your Skodas you will know they don't do a vRS spec Yeti. Mine is what one would be, if they did. :D
A vRS Yeti, now that i'd like to see, in fact drive :D
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:12 pm
Ooh, Rally Green, my aspirational colour for a vRS. My 'Trusty Steed' Yeti, Kevin, is Tangerine Orange; always liked bright coloured cars.
My MKII was yellow or should that be YELLOW!!!! so bright colours are the way to go :thumbup:

Hedgehogger

Post by Hedgehogger »

It seems what would be ideal is for a winder that lets you input how many winds per day you want it to do. Then you figure out how many winds you need to keep that particular movement in its "sweet spot" and only have the winder run that many revolutions.

Hand winding not only puts potential ware on the screw-down crown as discussed above, it also wears the stem and the gears driven by the stem. But auto-winding of course wears the rotor bearing and and associated gears... It's probably a wash. Which parts are cheaper to replace may be the question? Probably the stem?

Good winders seem very expensive, I'm not sure that any wear-and-tear a winder may save would ever be recovered once you consider the price of the winder and the electricity to run it. Not to say I don't want a nice winder, it would be great to have a place to store my watches and watch them spin.

As an aside, I get a kick out of seeing watches with movements that only wind in one direction put onto a winder that alternates directions. And even better, seeing photos of people's winders with non-automatic watches whirling away. :)

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by H0rati0 »

Hedgehogger wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:18 am
It seems what would be ideal is for a winder that lets you input how many winds per day you want it to do. Then you figure out how many winds you need to keep that particular movement in its "sweet spot" and only have the winder run that many revolutions.

Hand winding not only puts potential ware on the screw-down crown as discussed above, it also wears the stem and the gears driven by the stem. But auto-winding of course wears the rotor bearing and and associated gears... It's probably a wash. Which parts are cheaper to replace may be the question? Probably the stem?

Good winders seem very expensive, I'm not sure that any wear-and-tear a winder may save would ever be recovered once you consider the price of the winder and the electricity to run it. Not to say I don't want a nice winder, it would be great to have a place to store my watches and watch them spin.

As an aside, I get a kick out of seeing watches with movements that only wind in one direction put onto a winder that alternates directions. And even better, seeing photos of people's winders with non-automatic watches whirling away. :)
Any half decent winder works typically as you describe, I paid less than £50 for my (German brand but probably made in China) 4 hole that gives plenty of TPD/wind direction options, runs unnoticeably quietly (Mabuchi motors) and has been totally reliable. 650 TPD is enough, but not too much for most movements and you can check the archives for TPD information for CWs and the Orbita database otherwise.

Expensive winders typically do not give much more operationally (who needs it) they are just (better) made of "luxury" materials and maybe have some nice convenience features like lighting and auto-stop when the door is open. But sorry, if we are talking big money I would rather spend it on a watch!

I do put manuals in sometimes (if they are not going to be worn for a while but I want to keep them running) as I find they keep time more consistently than laying on the bedside table, so less fiddling about with setting if I want to grab and go.

Just my two penn'orth.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

Victor88

Post by Victor88 »

There’s an article on Fratello Watches where they pose this question to four watchmakers, including one of the Grönefeld brothers. Not sure what the rules on posting external links are here, but one can find it with a simple Google search. Views are divided as you might expect.