To Wind Watch or Watch Winder

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: To Wind Watch or Watch Winder

Post by nbg »

^^^^ External links are ok. Here is the article.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/you-ask ... s-running/

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

Foxie man....that photo....is it of 3 sheds in green? :)

On watch winders, my son (lucky lad) inherited an old Omega. It hadn't been serviced or cared for in many years. Thanks to the guys on this forum we found a man to do it. It worked ok...ish for a while, and then didn't so we sent it back as the service was guaranteed for 18 months. He now has nicked my winder, and when not wearing it, kept it in the winder. It now keeps good time. we suspect that it would prefer to keep going.... a bit like me, once i sit down i have problems getting going again
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

Thanks for the link nbg, good read but as you say inconclusive. But then that is forum life after all isn't it.
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

jimbo wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:13 pm Foxie man....that photo....is it of 3 sheds in green? :)
[-X :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Macdaz wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:25 pm Interestingly if I drive to work (about two hours, with a lot of gear changing) It's pretty much charged by the time I get there. Conversely, if I'm sat at a desk working at home it may not make 80% by the end of the day.
I remember reading somewhere that driving a manual car with an automatic watch on your gear changing wrist was a good way to do that. i’ve never had a lot of trouble keeping an automatic going, though I’ve never had one with a PR meter. My average journeys didn’t include a lot of gear changing anyway, and nowadays I drive an automatic car so there is none!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

Can you over wind an automatic watch with movement.

Been reading a few reviews with regards winders and many mention regulating them to provide adequate charge but no more. Some provided calculations to indicate such. Could this damage the watch if left on a winder.

I'm moving away from the idea but now find this quite fascinating.
Amor Vincit Omnia

You can’t overwind an automatic. It has a clutch which disengages the rotor when the main spring achieves full torque.

Edit: sorry, I’ve been contributing to this thread for quite a while so perhaps I can say this with impunity...

I have been winding watches, manual and automatic for over 50 years and I’ve never broken one by operating normally. I did break one once but that was because I dropped it on a hard floor. I’ve been winding automatics, wearing them on the wrist and putting them on winders for years. I’ve never damaged one. I’ve been screwing crowns in for years. I’ve never damaged one.

I really think you need to get a watch, wind it, wear it, stick it on a winder and just let it do what it does. The likelihood of your damaging it is VERY SMALL!

But seriously, if you are that worried you probably need to get a quartz watch.

Apologies if that sounds a bit blunt.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

So you could leave on a winder permanently moving without any detrimental affects, apart from the previously mention wear issue.
Amor Vincit Omnia

My Cartier sits on the winder pretty much 24/7, unless I’m wearing it. Only exception being if I’m not wearing it for a long period it goes in the box. I have no reason to believe it is suffering any damage either way.
Steve

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:46 pm You can’t overwind an automatic. It has a clutch which disengages the rotor when the main spring achieves full torque.

Edit: sorry, I’ve been contributing to this thread for quite a while so perhaps I can say this with impunity...

I have been winding watches, manual and automatic for over 50 years and I’ve never broken one by operating normally. I did break one once but that was because I dropped it on a hard floor. I’ve been winding automatics, wearing them on the wrist and putting them on winders for years. I’ve never damaged one. I’ve been screwing crowns in for years. I’ve never damaged one.

I really think you need to get a watch, wind it, wear it, stick it on a winder and just let it do what it does. The likelihood of your damaging it is VERY SMALL!

But seriously, if you are that worried you probably need to get a quartz watch.

Apologies if that sounds a bit blunt.
Heartily endorsed by me too.

The only time I have damaged a watch by winding it was when I absentmindedly tried to wind a fusee PW clockwise and the chain snapped....too stupid to admit to really :oops: I'll never do it again (repair is a nightmare) though luckily this was not an expensive watch. I still feel guilty as hell.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:46 pm Apologies if that sounds a bit blunt.
Is a little, but that’s fine, no problem. It’s always good to hear from others opinions especially when born from experience.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Foxman50 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:57 pm So you could leave on a winder permanently moving without any detrimental affects, apart from the previously mention wear issue.
When the watch is in the winder it isn't constantly moving.

The key here is that the winder keeps the watch wound. It doesn't wind the watch. What I mean is, if you put a dead watch on the winder it won't be full power when you take it off. The winder turns per day should be set to keep the watch at whatever power level it was when you put it on the winder or close to it. In theory, you wore the watch all day so it should be close to max. Put it on the winder and it should still be there the next day. At least that is the way I understand it.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

That makes an awful lot of sense, thank you for that.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’ve noticed over the last couple of lockdown months that I must be significantly less active as I’m seeing a number of my auto’s run down. I don’t wind them that much to get going and they’re typically the lower spec ones with c. 38 hr power reserves, but even so?

Today I’ve switched back to my North Flag with its 70 hr power reserve and a power reserve indicator. It’ll be interesting to observe my power consumption over the coming days.

Nothing to do with watch winders but it’s got me thinking about automatic watches...
Tim
Foxman50
Senior
Senior

Post by Foxman50 »

So i have been wearing a quartz to work last week, won't get into that, and have worn the C600 last and this weekend. I have genuinely been amazed that putting it on from dead, waiting for it to start ticking, setting the time/date is all that it has taken for it to keep perfect time. many have mentioned that without full charge time keeping may not be at its best.

I'm still debating over getting a watch winder, though it would undoubtedly mean i do not need to set the time/date each time i wish to wear it. While i have been following AVO's very good advice on crown operation, i am still cautious that i may damage the crown thread.

Maybe i just need to stick a toe in and see how a watch winder goes.