CW's first TV Advert

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3215
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:53 am
CW-watches: 1

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by what-time-is-it »

You can't hear the accent, or the sales pitch when you are skipping through the adverts.

I don't watch that much TV, but when I do swmbo tends to have control of the remote - 75% of the time she jumps ahead by 2 or 3 mins when adverts come on, guessing when the programme is back on. The remaining 25% is at x24 or whatever the max speed is. We rarely watch TV live, as the Sky Q box can hold and record so much.

Only times we watch live TV at present are the No.10 Briefings at 5pm.

When I do have control of the box, it's normally for watching live sport but I suspect the price competition for these will be premium prices.

Genuinely I'll be surprised if I see or hear the ad on TV during the campaign.
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Casio, Citizen, Eterna, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Timex, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris

User avatar
welshlad
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7267
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:33 am
CW-watches: 10
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by welshlad »

I didn't mind it. It seemed nicely tongue-in-cheek to me.

However, I wasn't so sure about the "Ingeniously English" bit at the end. It would have been better to have said "Ingeniously British" I would have thought, otherwise this will go down like a lead balloon with some Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish viewers, rightly or wrongly. Personally, I'm as much a Yorkshireman as a welshlad nowadays, so I'll let them off. ;)
CWL C3 Mk1 | C60 Mk2 x2 | C65 SH21 | C70 x4 | C8 | C15
Omega Speedy | AT8500 | AT2500 | PO Ti Rolex Exp | Sub
Zenith EP1969 Damasko DA44 Seiko 55 Fathoms
Citizen Promaster Tissot V8 Vratislavia S6 Luch 1Hand

User avatar
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2605
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm
CW-watches: 3

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by TigerChris »

what-time-is-it wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:19 pm
You can't hear the accent, or the sales pitch when you are skipping through the adverts.

I don't watch that much TV, but when I do swmbo tends to have control of the remote - 75% of the time she jumps ahead by 2 or 3 mins when adverts come on, guessing when the programme is back on. The remaining 25% is at x24 or whatever the max speed is. We rarely watch TV live, as the Sky Q box can hold and record so much.

Only times we watch live TV at present are the No.10 Briefings at 5pm.

When I do have control of the box, it's normally for watching live sport but I suspect the price competition for these will be premium prices.

Genuinely I'll be surprised if I see or hear the ad on TV during the campaign.
I'm the same mate, I watched it via Guys you tube link. I can't remember the last time I watched an actual ad on TV. In fact, with no live sport at the moment, I can't remember the last time I watched live TV period - I've even stopped watching the briefings and catch up with them after on my iPad.

Soporsche
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:22 am
CW-watches: 11
Location: London

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by Soporsche »

TigerChris wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:12 pm
It's a good job I already know the brand else, watching that, I'd be turned away from them straight away thinking 'who are these clowns'. The visual isn't that bad but that voice over?! It's 1st May, not April!
😁😆
Admit it doesnt really speak to me either, on an informative, aspiration or humour level but can see what they are trying to do and they have executed 'what it is' quite well (even if not appealing to me).
Stephen

9+ CWs and a modest collection of other brands

User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 21627
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 4
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TigerChris wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm
I'm the same mate, I watched it via Guys you tube link. I can't remember the last time I watched an actual ad on TV. In fact, with no live sport at the moment, I can't remember the last time I watched live TV period - I've even stopped watching the briefings and catch up with them after on my iPad.
Same here. I have watched DVDs on the TV in my bedroom, but haven't switched on the one downstairs since the last 6 Nations game. I never watch television news either.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage


@Avo238

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2516
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:20 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Berks

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by Mikkei4 »

It's just been shown on Quest channel.

kiter65
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:45 pm
CW-watches: 0

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by kiter65 »

Just seen it on quest too :D

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3267
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by jtc »

Quest? Hardly top rate telly time :lol:
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Halios | Oris | Seiko | Casio

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2516
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:20 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Berks

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by Mikkei4 »

jtc wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:22 pm
Quest? Hardly top rate telly time :lol:
For me or the advert? :D

meinberg
Junior
Junior
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 am
CW-watches: 2
Location: Melbourne

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by meinberg »

TigerChris wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:12 pm
It's a good job I already know the brand else, watching that, I'd be turned away from them straight away thinking 'who are these clowns'. The visual isn't that bad but that voice over?! It's 1st May, not April!
I think it does enough for anyone with an interest in watches who hasn't heard of CW to type CW into a browser, and that is all it has to achieve.
The visuals are well executed and put across a quality product, I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial for a watch on TV, is that the same for the UK?

Has it been screened on SKY News? which I would have thought would be the obvious channel to be on.
Oris, CW, Tag and a few others.

User avatar
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2605
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm
CW-watches: 3

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by TigerChris »

Well, whether you are in the camp of ‘like it’ or ‘loathe it’, it’s probably achieved what they wanted it to as both camps are talking about it, which is the aim of an advert - to get people talking about your brand. I don’t like it but, if it’s had the desired effect, best of luck to them. It’d be interesting to see what the numbers show as far as an increase in web traffic/sales following first screenings of the ad. Although we all know that numbers can be moved about to show what you want them to show so we may never know actuals.

User avatar
StrapMeister
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1503
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:29 pm
CW-watches: 8

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by StrapMeister »

I actually rather liked it - great first attempt and probably achieves enough to generate someone's interest to find out more about the watch and the brand.
To me it sounded like the rather tongue-in-cheek humour/voice of Hugh Laurie commentating.
C60 FLE (Red JAG); C60 Trident 316L LE (Orange, Blue/Orange, Yellow, Black/Yellow); C60 Ombre LE.
C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE; C9 FLE.
Freewheelers Emergency Voluntary Service (Blood Bikes) https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

User avatar
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1649
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 am
CW-watches: 4
Location: England

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by TheBeatles »

Never seen it yet. Mind you, I either fast forward or mute sound during breaks and don’t pay attention anyway.

However, I’m not their target audience so no harm no foul.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels - Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love - The Beatles

User avatar
leelee
Expert
Expert
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:09 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by leelee »

I put that in the same league as cillit bang adverts.
Maybe Barry Scott can do the next one for them.
Awful ......imo.

0uatiOW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 pm
CW-watches: 4
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: CW's first TV Advert

Post by 0uatiOW »

I was a bit surprised, with this concerted push for a) a younger customer base and b) augmenting sales in the USA that they went with this faux 1950s RP “English Gentry” style of delivery. Assume it was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I thought it was a bit cheesy.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.

Post Reply