Senior
Senior

Re: C60 Sapphire - New Release

Post by Mike2795647 »

TigerChris wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:23 pm
Mike2795647 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:00 pm
I’m so tempted by one of these, just because they are so different, although do love the cash spa head size of the Trident. The downside personally if I do pull the trigger being that I won’t be able to get my first German watch. It’s this or the Sinn 556ib (with CW blue hybrid strap) that I’m now down to
Bit of a difference - a simple, no date, 3 hander vs a 600m diver with date. 2 totally different style of watch - I'd be interested to know the thought process narrowing down to these?
Im not 100% sure myself other than wanting a watch that I could wear everyday and with shorts / T-shirt or jeans and shirt or jumper etc.

I was looking at the Nomos recently but the Sinn seems to tick more boxes (also the lugs on the Nomos I’m still not sure about) and then came CW last week and launched the new trident which dare I say turned my head slightly with a new thought of what to add to my collection, albeit it the CW is £100 cheaper on the hybrid
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by TigerChris »

Mike2795647 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:33 pm
TigerChris wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:23 pm
Mike2795647 wrote:
I’m so tempted by one of these, just because they are so different, although do love the cash spa head size of the Trident. The downside personally if I do pull the trigger being that I won’t be able to get my first German watch. It’s this or the Sinn 556ib (with CW blue hybrid strap) that I’m now down to
Bit of a difference - a simple, no date, 3 hander vs a 600m diver with date. 2 totally different style of watch - I'd be interested to know the thought process narrowing down to these?
Im not 100% sure myself other than wanting a watch that I could wear everyday and with shorts / T-shirt or jeans and shirt or jumper etc.

I was looking at the Nomos recently but the Sinn seems to tick more boxes (also the lugs on the Nomos I’m still not sure about) and then came CW last week and launched the new trident which dare I say turned my head slightly with a new thought of what to add to my collection, albeit it the CW is £100 cheaper on the hybrid
The C60 Sapphire turned my head too so I get that - not as an everyday watch though. For me it fills a gap of 'now and again for something different'. I think as a daily wearer, as long as you don't need a date, the Sinn ticks a hell of a lot of boxes. The 856 would be my personal choice due to date and tegimented case, although a few more of the old crinkly bits of paper required
Squalus
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Squalus »

StrappedUp wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:30 pm
j0hnV wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:55 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:37 pm
I guess it does raise the question over the quality of the colour insert. The qualities of sapphire are known and heavily pushed in the marketing, but would be good to get assurance that the plastic won’t degrade over time
Great point. Would look ghastly if over time the colour of the plastic changed. Would be very disappointed if I got this only to discover the blue colour was 'plastic' provided. Rolex did green with their Milgauss. Maybe blue can't be done?
Artificial sapphire gemstones are created in all sorts of blue shades, so doubt it's that.
As Guy said earlier, it probably just boils down to being able to use a single sapphire dial and manufacturing a plastic disc to change the colour.
Would allow them to expand the range at very little expense.

I'll admit, it has put me off slightly as there is an emphasis on the sapphire element.
Visually it doesn't make a difference, but I'm not sure I appreciate it as much now knowing how it's constructed.
As with most component manufacturing, the supplier probably has a minimum order quantity, for a blue sapphire, which could have been well outside of CW's comfort zone; especially for a very new, never made before watch variant.

I imagine the colourless sapphire has a lower minimum order quantity.
Zygote23

Post by Zygote23 »

Mike2795647 wrote:
I’m so tempted by one of these, just because they are so different, although do love the case size and design of the Trident. The downside personally if I do pull the trigger being that I won’t be able to get my first German watch. It’s this or the Sinn 556ib (with CW blue hybrid strap) that I’m now down to
I'd say the Sinn is a no brainer......I'm tempted by the 556 a RS at the moment. I'd really like to pop over to Frankfurt to get a look but CV19 etc :(
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

The comments above reinforce my point. Lots of maybe/possibly/could be/probably, but there is no clear answer. Is it blue film, thin plastic disc or thicker disc. Glued together, blue tac or sellotape? Point is that CW have worked really hard at this and deserve success, but perhaps a bit more info on this side of the manufacturing process might allay some of the questions/ concerns
what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Someone should buy one, stick it in a greenhouse for a couple of hot days (or in the oven on a low heat) and see if the plastic shrivels up.

Then return it, wait for a couple of weeks to be told it's within tolerance. :lol:
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Citizen, Eterna, Hamilton, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris
Squalus
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Squalus »

I received an e-mail from CW stating that they are taking a limited number of pre-orders for early July.

What happen if they receive all of the limited pre-orders? Do they then de-activate the 'Pre-order' button?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Squalus wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:43 pm
I received an e-mail from CW stating that they are taking a limited number of pre-orders for early July.

What happen if they receive all of the limited pre-orders? Do they then de-activate the 'Pre-order' button?
I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will come along to correct me if I’m wrong, but I think what you might see is the pre-order date jump forward to, for example, early August. Or whenever they expect the next batch to come in.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238