Dartmouth running slow

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
SolarCycles

Dartmouth running slow

Post by SolarCycles »

My new Dartmouth is now running some 10 + seconds a day slow, this has been ongoing for the last 72 hours and it seems to run slower when wearing it. Now I’ve only had the watch just over a fortnight and with the current situation of Christopher Ward not being able to do repairs can I not just return it under the 60 day guarantee and ask for an exchange?
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: Dartmouth running slow

Post by Jcalder68 »

I guess it depends how keen you are to keep this exact watch, or can you cope with another example of the same model?
Also, how “new” is it? Has it been unwrapped, has it been worn, and does it show any signs of this? Would it be in good enough condition to be considered for a return for refund?
When my own Dartmouth arrived and it’s timekeeping was a bit erratic for the first few weeks I owned it. It started off exceptionally well, but then went through a week or few where it’s timekeeping was all over the shop. One day it might gain 10sec, a few days later it might loose 10sec. Then it settled down again and now runs consistently at about +1sec a day when I wear it.
And “when I wear it” is the key point here. If I ever leave it in the watch box to fully unwind and then wear it, or if I put it in my winder for a few days, it’s timekeeping is more erratic again. I don’t know if it is down to my activity/wearing habits, or down to temperature consistency when worn next to the skin, but it just works best when I wear it.
This I can accept.
This watch, for various personal reasons, is exceptionally precious to me. It has also got the marks of use and is way past it’s 60 day return warranty.
I would therefore rather keep it, and adjust its timekeeping from time to time, rather than return it given the current situation.
In six months time I may decide to return it for adjustment, but until then, there are bigger thinks I need to concern myself with.

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Firstly, at approx 10secs per day your watch is maybe (just) out of spec as a chronometer (-4 to +6 s/day) Secondly, unless a watch (mechanical obviously) is wildly erratic, don't sweat it, they are organic and given a bit of time will most likely run in and settle down. If you really want or need precision, buy quartz. :schlafen:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

It has been sold as a chronometer and the price reflects the higher price of using a chronometer grade movement.

Regardless of whether you have worn it or not you are entitled to ask for a replacement at this stage even if you have marked the watch, if that is what you want.

If so simply state that the watch is not performing as per the published specification and ask for a replacement in accordance with the UK Consumer Rights Act 2015.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... rights-act
You need to do this within 30 days, otherwise your rights under the act will be slightly different.

You do though need to be sure that it is running outside of the -4/+6s per day range that is the requirement for a new COSC rated chronometer.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
SolarCycles

Post by SolarCycles »

Thanks for the replies

I received it on the 31st March looking back at my records.

Oh and as for buying a quartz, get a grip with such a trolling reply. I got this watch because of its COSC certification and have now tested it another day and it’s losing +8 seconds over a 12 hour period when worn.

I love this watch and have enough Seiko's with accuracy specs around the +12 second mark but they’re not regulated to COSC standards so obviously something is amiss here.
SolarCycles

Post by SolarCycles »

As expected Christopher Wards excellent customer service has responded and asked if I’d return the watch and they’ll do a test and replace it if they come to the same conclusions. That’s good customer service for you. :thumbup: