C65 Trident GMT Noise

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mcolliga

C65 Trident GMT Noise

Post by Mcolliga »

Hey all, new here! I've been eyeing the C65 Trident GMT for a while and finally pulled the trigger. I'm no watch enthusiast by any mean but I've had a few auto but none make noise like the C65. The rotor is so loud and obnoxious, is anyone else having this issue and it just common because of the thinner case? I contacted CW and they had me send it back. Customer service wasn't the most responsive but I'll let that slide given the pandemic circumstances. I saw on DHL they had received it and had not heard from them for a week after that, I contacted them and they said they were sending me a replacement watch. I was kind of disappointed because on the return form, I noted that if this level of noise is normal, I wanted to pursue a refund. Well I got the replacement and I guess it's just typical of this watch. Hoping to hear some of your C65 or CW experiences and if I'm just being overly sensitive to the automatic nature of this thing. I do love everything else about it though. I've attached a youtube link to a clip of my moving my wrist around. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbuFnpA4YPU

-Matt

SlayedDreamer
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Re: C65 Trident GMT Noise

Post by SlayedDreamer »

I own the C65 Anthropocene gmt and also the Farer Lander III gmt watches. Both use the same movement, the Sellita SW330, and are noticeably noisy when I flick my wrists. I think its just how the movement sounds. I don’t find the sound very noticeable in everyday use though. Give it a go for a few days and I bet you won’t even notice the sound after a while.
C65 Anthropocene | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Grand Tourer Racing Green

tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by tikkathree »

Matt,

I listened to your clip and, honestly, the clicky clasp ( or whatever it is) bothered me more. Let me just go and shake my C65 Anthropocene......well I can certainly hear the rotor but I'm not offended by it.
I'm bound to ask, are you expecting not to hear anything, what other autos are you comparing it to?
C60 MKI COSC black,
C60 Trident 300 white,
C60 MKII Day Date LE white, C60 Trident Pro 600 COSC LE SH21, C60 Trident Pro 600 ACAN,
C6 Kingfisher black,
C60 Kingfisher,
C600 Tritech x 3,
C65 Anthropocene.

richtel
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

It sounds perfectly normal for that type of automatic movement. As you move it the autoreverser clutch has to engage and disengage in order to wind the movement. What you're hearing is nothing untoward IMHO.

Bungle-ator
Expert
Expert

Post by Bungle-ator »

I'd expect most autos to sound like that when shaken around violently. Unless you're a professional fly swatter you're not very likely to be shaking your hand around like that very often. I wouldn't be subjecting a watch to that if I knew I would be having to make movements like that in any case.

Mcolliga

Post by Mcolliga »

So I ended up returning the watch. It was a tough call since it's probably the best looking watch out here in that category. Either way, CW was awesome with customer service and I would definitely consider purchasing their pieces in the future.

redmonaco
Expert
Expert

Post by redmonaco »

Does sound horrible. I quite like the 7750 noise and wobble but this just sounds tinny...

jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Man goes to the docs and says ‘my arm hurts when I do this.’ The doc says, ‘don’t do that then.’

I imagine most automatic watches would make a similar sound when flicking one’s wrist in that manner. Before I lost my favourite 7750 powered chronograph to a mad ex, I used to revel in flicking my wrist to feel the ‘wobble’ and hearing the rotor spin. Give it a week or so and I’m betting you won’t notice it.