Mike France Interview with WatchPro

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Re: Mike France Interview with WatchPro

Post by Squalus »

When Mike mentioned one of the general traits of their customer base as "wealthy", I assumed that is probably due to their higher spec watches are selling better than the others (for example, the current titanium models).
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Also thought it was an informative and interesting video. Chrono-fest delayed is well explained and curious/intrigued for the major launch of the year in September
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

tikkathree wrote:
meinberg wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:53 pm Well, now something to look forward to on Thursday!
Yes, Selitta 330 driven. I just googled the movement which comes up as slim/thin automatic.

Turns out we are all 1. Wealthy, 2. Age 25-55 and 3. Curious men. 8) 8) :shock:
Well I'm in the age bracket and I guess I'm curious but I certainly don't consider myself wealthy Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

albionphoto wrote:WatchPro is doing a good job with CEO interviews. Here are some things I picked up
* - Due to be launching 2 x chronographs this week but no movements from Selitta. These will now launch later in the year.
* - Something new coming this week but we all knew that. It's not going to be a chrono though.
* - I wonder what did CW do in Ticino? Straps maybe?
* - Still operating in Biel. Good for CW and SH.
* - Confirmed that cases are made in China. No surprises there.
* - We're (CW customers) not "classic brand ponies" but are "curious men" - lovely phrasing. And, I'm still in their age demographic for a few months.
* - Advertising on Sky will pass me by though. I wonder if they're planning a US advertising campaign? Aren't 30% of their sales in North America now? So, they're not going to go on US TV but will ramp up their marketing campaign in the US. The first volcano goes off on Thursday (30/04/2020) but then something "BIG" will come along (globally) in September. (I'm agog with curiosity).
* - Year-on-year sales + 70% in April? Wow! Helped by new launches but good for CW.
* - No redundancies but three furloughs due to them being high risk individuals. Those who are working are being paid a premium. Invest in people in the best possible way.
Hope this helps, stay safe all.
Im guessing the BIG thing in September is more of their in house movement... I hope

Or they got bought by Rolex Image

Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

albionphoto wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:18 pm * - We're (CW customers) not "classic brand ponies" but are "curious men" - lovely phrasing. And, I'm still in their age demographic for a few months.
Did he really say that? He's said some daft things in his time, but considering many on here and CW owners generally, including me, will own CW and 'classic' brands, it's a pretty stupid comment really, verging on the insulting.
'Tis me
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Caller wrote:
albionphoto wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:18 pm * - We're (CW customers) not "classic brand ponies" but are "curious men" - lovely phrasing. And, I'm still in their age demographic for a few months.
Did he really say that? He's said some daft things in his time, but considering many on here and CW owners generally, including me, will own CW and 'classic' brands, it's a pretty stupid comment really, verging on the insulting.
He did. I don't think it's insulting as he's saying CW customers aren't the type to ONLY purchase based on brand. Ex: people wwho would buy a Rolex with a $1 Chinese quartz movement in a brass, chrome plates case with no WR simply because it has the Crown on it are what I'd consider a brand pony.

Chris375
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by Chris375 »

Just a thought, if I remember correctly the Apex watches have both been released around that time of year. :-k
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Commisar wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:12 pmHe did. I don't think it's insulting as he's saying CW customers aren't the type to ONLY purchase based on brand
Therefore, making his comment completely fatuous. It's just twaddle. Apart from when talking of CW owner, as there are many here who pretty much only ever buy CW. hence even insulting his own customers - lol!

Just a bit of fun.
'Tis me
BarnabyNutt
Junior
Junior

Post by BarnabyNutt »

I can't say as I really liked the interview at all.

I realise that WatchPro is a trade site, but I'm not sure what I expected. It felt like we, the loyal buyers and newcomers alike, were just unappreciated suckers, and he was only interested in devising strategies that would best separate us from our cash.

Don't get me wrong, I work for a corporation and understand that marketing folks get paid huge amounts of money to understand their target demographic and to work the brand's way into our consciousness, but I wish he'd been just a little friendlier and perhaps talked about some of the company's choices and offerings in terms other than how they could make the most cash. Sure, have those strategies around the boardroom table (or over the Skype meeting), but don't have quite such a brassneck when addressing the people whose cash you're chasing.

I'm lucky enough to have just bought a C60 Elite 1000 (actually two, as I couldn't decide on the colour. One has gone back), and did so knowing little about the brand other than reading their history, seeing their other models and reviews, and reading this forum. I'm glad that I hadn't seen this video before sending three grand their way...
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

BarnabyNutt wrote:I can't say as I really liked the interview at all.

I realise that WatchPro is a trade site, but I'm not sure what I expected. It felt like we, the loyal buyers and newcomers alike, were just unappreciated suckers, and he was only interested in devising strategies that would best separate us from our cash.

Don't get me wrong, I work for a corporation and understand that marketing folks get paid huge amounts of money to understand their target demographic and to work the brand's way into our consciousness, but I wish he'd been just a little friendlier and perhaps talked about some of the company's choices and offerings in terms other than how they could make the most cash. Sure, have those strategies around the boardroom table (or over the Skype meeting), but don't have quite such a brassneck when addressing the people whose cash you're chasing.

I'm lucky enough to have just bought a C60 Elite 1000 (actually two, as I couldn't decide on the colour. One has gone back), and did so knowing little about the brand other than reading their history, seeing their other models and reviews, and reading this forum. I'm glad that I hadn't seen this video before sending three grand their way...
He's explaining how any consumer product business works..... I'd rather know than not know. He's also speaking to an industry type publication, not consumers.

If VW doesn't know who they're selling to, they are in some deep trouble. Their demographic information allows them to relearn products they'll know will have a very good chance of selling and allows them to understand their competition.

Believe me, I'm sure Rolex/SWATCH/Seiko all say the EXACT same things. Hell, I'd imagine to Rolex types instantly "round file" ANY customer suggestions and maybe even complains then preemptively band those people form ever buying a stainless steel sports model Image

I personally thought it was rather interesting.