Selling on eBay for profit. . .

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Selling on eBay for profit. . .

Post by Mikkei4 »

This subject has been discussed before many times. If nobody buys the watches that have obviously just been or very recently bought then there won't be a market to sell to on eBay.

Personally I couldn't be ar$ed going to all the effort - it's bad enough when I have to return to CW a watch I haven't liked.

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by jtc »

Mike2795647 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:32 pm
they need to up their game and install better controls and processes on their website.
Lol, that is one area CW will never master :lol:
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Halios | Oris | Seiko | Casio

It'sAliveJim
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by It'sAliveJim »

As long as CW's business model relies on having regular sales, then traders will obviously take full advantage to try and make a profit.

The question will always remain, why would anyone ever pay full RRP for a Christopher Ward watch?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.”
Jean-Paul Sartre

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by H0rati0 »

It'sAliveJim wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:37 pm
As long as CW's business model relies on having regular sales, then traders will obviously take full advantage to try and make a profit.

The question will always remain, why would anyone ever pay full RRP for a Christopher Ward watch?
Yep, arbitrage is what makes free markets function (quite literally). Caveat Emptor, we all well know CW's MO so up to us to play along - or not.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

willttqs
Expert
Expert

Post by willttqs »

Unless he has managed to source them in all in a 50% sale (or better) I am very surprised that he has managed to make any profit on CW watches whatsoever. I have no problem with people buying and selling. If he has managed to sell 40, that is some commitment!

Thermexman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

I do like a nice bit of roast lamb!
Steve.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 7
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thermexman wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:45 pm
I do like a nice bit of roast lamb!
Classic! :clap:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

steviecross

Post by steviecross »

I had been waiting for the Bronze Trident to come up in the sales, managed to bag one at the £399 price tag, I took a look on ebay and noticed there where a few new sales with a price tag of £525, if they sell it is not a bad little profit for little work, anyway my Bronze is going nowhere, profit or not.

Fat-Sam
Junior
Junior

Post by Fat-Sam »

Personally I wouldn’t inform HMRC or even eBay as as that’s not my way- but an email to CW or a question at their next gtg might be interesting as I think CW encourage the community and make more effort than most brands to engage with us
I never had the makings of a varsity athlete...

Thermexman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Fat-Sam wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:08 pm
Personally I wouldn’t inform HMRC or even eBay as as that’s not my way- but an email to CW or a question at their next gtg might be interesting as I think CW encourage the community and make more effort than most brands to engage with us
Been done before. CW have put in measures to reduce bulk buying and to try and stop this practice. You can only do so much and then, only if you’re really bothered. At the end of the day, selling watches is their reason for being. Why would they try any harder? A sale is a sale?
Steve.

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by nbg »

^^^^ I agree Steve! :thumbup:

After all if someone really likes the watch - just buy the bloody thing pre sale with the benefit of a voucher. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK

Fat-Sam
Junior
Junior

Post by Fat-Sam »

Yeah I guess their main reason for the sales is to dump older slower selling stock and get people constantly checking the website. Also... For us watch geeks the more you go back to a ‘planted seed’ the more it grows and grows until you make a purchase! They must know that with the prices and ease of purchase they can lure us in with these constant bargains haha

I just had a look and nearly got a Meistersinger I don’t want or need just because of the discount and 0% finance.
I never had the makings of a varsity athlete...

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 7
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Fat-Sam wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:48 pm
I just had a look and nearly got a Meistersinger I don’t want or need just because of the discount and 0% finance.
I've felt that way at times, but managed to teach myself that the horse really does perform best in front of the cart.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Bungle-ator wrote:Where there's a margin people are going to take liberties. Fair play to them but it looks like a hassle to me. I'm of the opinion that they should be left alone. It's CWs fault that that can buy in a regular sale and profit for most of the year by undercutting the regular prices. Should CW maybe not just be selling at "sale price" if they're still profiting? In any case, I really take the **** in the gambling industry with tax free profits so I'm not going to throw stones at others.
There's actually a huge reason companies don't sell on the "sale" price all the time. It's actually psychological and it makes the buyer feel good when they get an item for under the listed MSRP. Works for cars, clothes, watches, firearms, shoes (see Allen Edmonds), etc

Look at how much money GM let's dealers out on the hood of every vehicle. I could go buy certain GM cars/trucks TODAY and get $5,000 to $10,000 off the sticker price and get 0% or 1.9% financing for up to 84 months.... Note that you have to work a bit for that and some people just don't care to do the work.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

It'sAliveJim wrote:As long as CW's business model relies on having regular sales, then traders will obviously take full advantage to try and make a profit.

The need it RIGHT NOW

Only real reason I can see

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk