Rotor tried to takeoff when manually winding

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Rotor tried to takeoff when manually winding

Post by Commisar »

As seen by the title, my C60 Trident Mk3 has a rotor that seems to want to imitate a helicopter when I try and manually wind the watch. I'm addition to feeling the rotor spin like a demon, the watch also begins to vibrate rather violently. Furthermore, starting the wind was quite difficult, the crown was hard to turn as I presume it was directly acting upon the rotor through the movement.

I know the SW-200-1 movement and the ETA 2824 it's based on can have this issue. I stopped trying to manually wind and I'm going to let the watch run itself down.

I take it it's time for an emergency service?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Rotor tried to takeoff when manually winding

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Yes.

Contact CW and let them know the issue.

Although you will have to wait until their service department is open for business (currently shut due to the Covid-19 situation).

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/cserv ... nd-repairs

Ultimately, they will sort out a pickup by DHL from you to get it back to them.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Yes.

Contact CW and let them know the issue.

Although you will have to wait until their service department is open for business (currently shut due to the Covid-19 situation).

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/cserv ... nd-repairs

Ultimately, they will sort out a pickup by DHL from you to get it back to them.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Cool, can do

Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I’ve had a couple of ETA/Sellita movements that have suffered from the helicopter rotor when manually winding. As it happens, both cases were after the respective watches had been out of rotation for a month or more and were more than a year old.

The ETA watch seemed to resolve itself all by itself. I did take it to a local jeweller for an assessment, was staggered by the price they demanded and took the watch straight home to consider my options. Within a few days of regular wear I found the helicopter effect disappeared and the watch has remained perfect ever since. On the other hand, my Sellita remained problematic and was returned to the manufacturer for service under warranty.

Assuming that your MK3 is still well within its warranty period I would suggest you return it to CW as soon as their workshops reopen.

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Jcalder68 wrote:I’ve had a couple of ETA/Sellita movements that have suffered from the helicopter rotor when manually winding. As it happens, both cases were after the respective watches had been out of rotation for a month or more and were more than a year old.

The ETA watch seemed to resolve itself all by itself. I did take it to a local jeweller for an assessment, was staggered by the price they demanded and took the watch straight home to consider my options. Within a few days of regular wear I found the helicopter effect disappeared and the watch has remained perfect ever since. On the other hand, my Sellita remained problematic and was returned to the manufacturer for service under warranty.

Assuming that your MK3 is still well within its warranty period I would suggest you return it to CW as soon as their workshops reopen.

C
Interesting

This thing is new and is worn daily Image

Interesting that it can go away Image

nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by nigelb001 »

I also had a C8 Pilot Auto that exhibited this effect which I could see clearly through the small display window in the back. Before I was able to send it back to CW the symptom disappeared so I didn't bother. After a year of wearing, I passed it on to my son, who has been wearing it intermittently for two years with no further problems. I guess the problem can go away in some cases.
CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

I’ve had it happen on three CWs. I persevered with one, until it broke. Another went back for service, whilst the third, rectified itself and has been fine for over a year now.
Steve.
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Thermexman wrote:I’ve had it happen on three CWs. I persevered with one, until it broke. Another went back for service, whilst the third, rectified itself and has been fine for over a year now.
Happens to Oris as wellImage

It's just something that occur to any automatic movement to be honest, it seems.tk affect the ETA 2824 and SW200 more though.

My watchmaker showed me how winding a watch with the issue with a bit more force than usual can get the clutch to engage/disengage. Food for thought.

Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

Commisar wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:01 pm As seen by the title, my C60 Trident Mk3 has a rotor that seems to want to imitate a helicopter when I try and manually wind the watch. I'm addition to feeling the rotor spin like a demon, the watch also begins to vibrate rather violently. Furthermore, starting the wind was quite difficult, the crown was hard to turn as I presume it was directly acting upon the rotor through the movement.

I know the SW-200-1 movement and the ETA 2824 it's based on can have this issue. I stopped trying to manually wind and I'm going to let the watch run itself down.

I take it it's time for an emergency service?

I am not a qualified horologist, but I recon it's knackered