How far will watch prices drop?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: How far will watch prices drop?

Post by what-time-is-it »

The high street was already struggling prior to this event, with some established names disappearing such as Mothercare and Thomas Cook, whilst some others such as Debenhams keep trying to reinvent themselves.

Intu the owner of some of the countries largest shopping centres is also struggling, having only received 29% of rents due to them in March.

Focusing on watches, I'm sure some retailers will go under or go online only. For example I wouldn't be surprised to see H Samuel becoming online only and Ernest Jones staying on the high street but in fewer numbers. They are the same company but have already been discounting heavily online (they remain open) to presumably clear inventory and get cash in the bank. I see plenty of deals for Omega, Bremont, Oris, Breitling as AD's try to clear out expensive stock.

I'm sure some watch brands will also disappear, whether that be Kickstarter wannabes or some known brands - if the holding companies see very little visibility or profit they'll slowly clear out stock (if they can) and then quietly mothball the business.

I suspect heavyweights like Rolex will probably do nothing different other than delay new models until 2021, new prices will hold, used prices will weaken and waiting lists may improve over time.

One thing is for certain, this does affect most people and industries so what we took for granted two months ago, will likely never be the same again.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I'm in agreement with both Neil and Chris on this.
A watch is a non-essential/luxury item...it's a nice to have!
In the current climate all expenditure is going on necessities to live on.
Therefore, I expect to see large discounts and sales to shift stock from the likes of CW Sellors (Jura), Beards, Goldsmiths, et al - those with an online presence. The ones in danger of going under are the High Street and Family-run businesses.
I can also see a fall in the second-hand market where there won't be the same disposable income available to purchase an item based against those perhaps desperate to sell to get in some income/cash in which will drive prices down.
Superthrust
Senior
Senior

Post by Superthrust »

Second hand value will certainly be impacted and no doubt there will be sales occurring. But I doubt luxury brands are going to be reducing their prices at all, they will likely constrain supply until demand picks up again.

It's the independents and smaller companies I fear for. The ones that can mostly be considered an impulse buy, they may lose their market for a significant amount of time with less capital to survive on that their luxury brethren.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

An Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch can be had for £3600 from several places. That’s 10% off. Worth keeping an eye on! :silent:
Steve.
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

josbrownlie wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:24 pm Anybody have any recent experience with watchfinder and enhanced discounts CV related?
I can report that no additional / further discounts, advancing on those available 6-8 weeks ago, were offered by watchfinder over the course of this week / so far.
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Watchfinder would be the last place I would be looking at if I was in a buying mood.

They've never done bargains as far as I know, something tells me they'll have a warehouse full of stock that'll be losing value daily.

Never used them myself, I'm sure they've looked after a few customers over the years but prices always are at the top end in my view.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

New Rolex Explorers down as low as £5641 at Chrono24 already.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:39 pm New Rolex Explorers down as low as £5641 at Chrono24 already.
As low as that? :roll:

The retail price new is £5200 so they can afford to drop a little way yet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Zenith El Primero down to around £4500....
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

It'sAliveJim wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:10 pm
Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:39 pm New Rolex Explorers down as low as £5641 at Chrono24 already.

I'm well aware of the retail price. Grey market for a new one was in excess of £6k just a few weeks ago.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:52 pm

I'm well aware of the retail price. Grey market for a new one was in excess of £6k just a few weeks ago.
Excellent. I'm glad you have an eagle eye on the market for us. Please keep us updated going forward.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thermexman wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:02 pm An Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch can be had for £3600 from several places. That’s 10% off. Worth keeping an eye on! :silent:
I noticed that on Goldsmiths' website a day or so ago which is not something that they would normally do - as you say 10% off, both the Hesalite and Sapphire Sandwich models and the Seamaster 300 diver chrono is 10% off and then an additional 10% off the reduced price.

Mind you the Hesalite Moonwatch's RRP has risen just over £700 from £3280 since October 2018 so that puts some perspective on the discounted price of £3600.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

It'sAliveJim wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:19 pm
Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:52 pm

Excellent. I'm glad you have an eagle eye on the market for us. Please keep us updated going forward.
I'm not sure what your beef is Jim. The thread title is "how far will watch prices drop".
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

You could get a lightly used explorer at retail or just below on eBay. Chrono24 has hugely inflated prices. I think grey dealers are keeping prices high in hope for the time being.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

One possible indicator of a general slowdown of the industry as a whole might be the lack of new hits in my saved searches on several different websites/formats.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight