How far will watch prices drop?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: How far will watch prices drop?

Post by Bungle-ator »

I would disagree and say that they've changed tact a little as there wasn't a way to buy a Rolex from an AD last week and there is now. The sale isn't face to face in any manner.
I wouldn't have any idea how far they're delving to be honest but I'd assume like you that they'll exhaust every angle they can to make sales. My local Goldsmiths were quite transparent and I was told on enquiry that I was the only person that they had with an interest noted for what I wanted. So I'll assume I was the first and last person they called on that "list".
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

i was contacted and offered to pay a deposit of 100% for a non date submariner. I took a couple of days to decide about it, but in the end did not go through with it. I could have put it on my CC, but i decided against it.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

willttqs wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:07 pm i was contacted and offered to pay a deposit of 100% for a non date submariner. I took a couple of days to decide about it, but in the end did not go through with it. I could have put it on my CC, but i decided against it.
Very wise! :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I would be concerned about speed of turnaround - I can see the payment being made, store opens back up and the watch doesn't arrive as promised. Next delivery, still no sign and you've already paid!

I would also be concerned and would insist that the card transaction is with the company selling the watch - just in case things don't go to plan and if the unthinkable happens and they go bust, you are covered by the credit card company - which may not be the case if it's with a subsidiary.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

willttqs wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:07 pm i was contacted and offered to pay a deposit of 100% for a non date submariner. I took a couple of days to decide about it, but in the end did not go through with it. I could have put it on my CC, but i decided against it.
Hand over the cash and wait maybe months/longer in an environment where any business could go bust at any moment? That is a tall ask. Counterparty risk, anybody? They'll have to do better than that, methinks.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

One could, of course, take the pragmatic view and just carry on wearing what is already in the box.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

well according to various other threads people who have had the call are willing to pay and wait. My thought is that they probably had the stock all the time and it came out when people had spent enough money to earn the rights to buy the SS models.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I would think the most important thing to cover after being satisfied it's not a phishing scam would be to check with your credit card company that they'll cover you under section 75. Run for the hills type scenario if not.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

It took a huge amount of deliberation but I took the plunge and paid for an Explorer. I was on a knife edge with it as I'm sure the watches will be readily available after the shops are open again and I was more than happy to wait longer.

However, there was opportunity to save a few quid and I'm Scottish. My AMEX was offering me 5% back from online purchases with Watches of Switzerland. It won't bill until July either. AMEX have already credited £260 back to my account and there's another £52 went onto my rewards balance for the end of the year.

Can't really argue with a 6% discount on an Explorer! Most importantly, covered by section 75.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^Well done, and long may you enjoy it! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

^^^^^hopefully my last ever purchase, other than a G-Shock replacement when it's battery dies.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Bungle-ator wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:55 am ^^^^^hopefully my last ever purchase, other than a G-Shock replacement when it's battery dies.
yeah, right. And so say all of us! :lol:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Great score! The time to buy is when the opportunity arises....I had one in my hands (unexpectedly) last December at my local AD. I had just stopped by to browse a bit, never expecting to see one and certainly not planning on a purchase that day. Woke the next morning. HOLY @$#%. What was I thinking?
Regretted not buying it ever since. :oops: We will be waiting for pictures. :D
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Bungle-ator wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 am It took a huge amount of deliberation but I took the plunge and paid for an Explorer. I was on a knife edge with it as I'm sure the watches will be readily available after the shops are open again and I was more than happy to wait longer.

However, there was opportunity to save a few quid and I'm Scottish. My AMEX was offering me 5% back from online purchases with Watches of Switzerland. It won't bill until July either. AMEX have already credited £260 back to my account and there's another £52 went onto my rewards balance for the end of the year.

Can't really argue with a 6% discount on an Explorer! Most importantly, covered by section 75.
Congratulations, that sounds like a cracking purchase, particularly with the cashback.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Old thread, but relevant.

You can now buy Tudor watches online ie. they will now post them out to you - just had a notification from Beaverbrooks confirming this.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris