Which way to go for the big 5-0?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Re: Which way to go for the big 5-0?

Post by Macdaz »

There is definitely some truth in that. My arms are getting too short to hold things at a readable distance!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

jtc wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:50 pm Big *well lumed* numbers :lol:
^^^^^^Agree with this....

Steinhart Ocean Bronze is excellent vfm
Green bezel or dark brown, both stunners imo

Graham
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

"It looks like all your other ones"
I think your wife and mine have been talking. I hear that a lot.

The Pointer Date is a stunning watch. If I had room for another dress watch, this one would be on the list for sure.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Macdaz wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:33 pm My current top three ideas:

1) The special "nobody has done this since the sixties cushion case" thing mentioned at the Bristol GTG, which Chris said would arrive around May. - This may now be delayed and I may not like it when it's revealed.
Any ideas, musings or suggestions much appreciated.
Plenty of time to go; I'd sit tight for now.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Personally I'd stay away from "homages" watches, as good as they are and great value for money, they will always be a homage to another more expensive brand.
A £1K budget will get you something special, after all, it is a special milestone.

I would certainly consider a CW, for example, how about the C65 Anthropocene Limited Edition.
https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watch ... tion-range

I like both the Oris's mentioned and shown previously and they're available here just over budget but I'm sure there's a conversation to be had.
https://www.montredo.com/en-gb/watches/ ... -19/17162/
https://www.montredo.com/en-gb/watches/ ... -22/17191/
I used Montredo to purchase my LLD and it was an excellent experience all round so happy to recommend them.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:26 am
Plenty of time to go; I'd sit tight for now.

Guy
Thanks Guy...sitting tight is where I struggle!

Strapmeister The Antropocene was probably 4th on my list. I tried it on at he GTG and it is a lovely thing...but again not a million miles from my C65. That said I have no white faces in my collection and I do need one!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
b00ndocksaint
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by b00ndocksaint »

Just my 2p, a significant event demands a significant and relative investment. Whilst £1k isn't a large sum when talking about watches, it's still enough to buy wisely. I always try to make a connection with these types of purchases, so something from the year of your birth would fit well. You can pick up very nice vintage Omegas as an example. Modern watches, whilst very nice, could seem a bit sterile. Good luck with whatever you go for, and many happy returns when it comes
Rolex Sub 116610LN / Tudor BB58 / Omega Seamaster 300M Pro 2531.80.00 / Breitling Avenger II Blackbird / Vintage 50s Omega / Bremont S501 / C60 Bronze / C60 Abyss / C65 / Dreyfuss Co 1974 / Vostok Amphibias / Skagen 234XXLT / Zelos Mako Bronze
Proco2020
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Proco2020 »

I had that significant birthday in February and did the cliche and bought a vintage Rolex. 1970’s were more than I wanted to pay but ended up with a 6426 from 1973.

Very happy with it and fits in the collection well.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

StrapMeister wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:50 am Personally I'd stay away from "homages" watches, as good as they are and great value for money, they will always be a homage to another more expensive brand.
A £1K budget will get you something special, after all, it is a special milestone.

I would certainly consider a CW, for example, how about the C65 Anthropocene Limited Edition.
https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watch ... tion-range
Avoid homages, but that particular C65 is rather similar to a white-dialled Rolex Explorer II... ? :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

I'm a bit confused, with this 1970 reissue.
As its a tie in with the 1975 Film "Jaws" and has a limited number of 1975 pieces, but still called 1970 re-edition.
But i do like it, perhaps you may.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Thanks Magicman. I like the idea of a year of birth watch. This one is interesting but not really my taste. I also like the idea of a vintage Omega/Rolex from 1970 but I think a little expensive and in truth, I'm not great with pre-owned stuff. I can't even read a book somebody else has read!
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

I'm aligned with Guy to sit tight for another month to see what CW will launch (and perhaps you will have great news and the version you saw/heard at the Bristol GTG will be released). Downer's rules.....never settle - save and get what you want. This rings especially true for your 50th!

If not, I'm aligned with Stapmeister's suggestion of the C65 Anthropocene Limited Edition. The LE aspect of this offering certainly aligns with your milestone event.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

I'll throw my hat in the ring. Not everyone's cup of tea, but a classically styled watch that may stand out from the rest of the collection, and right on as far as price. Please remember, that in the end this opinion may be worth exactly what you paid for it. :lol:
20200406_133457.jpg
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Viognier wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 pm I'm aligned with Guy to sit tight for another month to see what CW will launch (and perhaps you will have great news and the version you saw/heard at the Bristol GTG will be released). Downer's rules.....never settle - save and get what you want. This rings especially true for your 50th!

If not, I'm aligned with Stapmeister's suggestion of the C65 Anthropocene Limited Edition. The LE aspect of this offering certainly aligns with your milestone event.
Might you also consider an email to Mike France about the Bristol GTG watch and see if he has any insight as to it's launch date? Would make waiting worthwhile if you knew it was launching for certain.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Viognier wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:47 pm
Viognier wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 pm I'm aligned with Guy to sit tight for another month to see what CW will launch (and perhaps you will have great news and the version you saw/heard at the Bristol GTG will be released). Downer's rules.....never settle - save and get what you want. This rings especially true for your 50th!

Might you also consider an email to Mike France about the Bristol GTG watch and see if he has any insight as to it's launch date? Would make waiting worthwhile if you knew it was launching for certain.
I had considered emailing Mike and will probably do so. The thing is I could find it absolutely hideous, I've no real insight to what it might look like!

As for Downer's rules solid, sound and wise, though they may be, I have long since let go of the 'saving for what you really want' idea. If that was the case I'd still have a one watch collection of a 20 year old Casio! I've made peace with that and enjoy owning multiple nice (if not grail) pieces.

Watchaholic, many thanks for your suggestion....I'm still trying to find the words! :wink:

I think my current frontrunner is the Oris Pointer Date. I'm grateful to StrappedUp for sending me back to think about this again as I've always admired it and always fancied an Oris, but thought they were just a bit too much. But as Guy said, I still have time to keep exploring the options!

Thanks so much for all your suggestions chaps, very much appreciated. (I'm not saying that to draw a line, keep the suggestions coming if you have them)

:thumbup: