Finance for Watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Finance for Watches

Post by willttqs »

Dear all,

I wonder if part of the success of expensive watches is down to the four or even five year 0% finance deals that lots of retailers are offering. Being able to buy a pretty impressive watch for £40 a month or thereabouts makes it affordable for many people.

With this in mind, I wonder if Christopher Ward should look into longer 0% finance deals, especially as watches are becoming more expensive. I am very interested in the new GMT watch, but with the titanium bracelet it is £1715 on over £100 a month. If they did it with two or even three years finance I would be pretty keen.

What do you chaps reckon?

W
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Finance for Watches

Post by H0rati0 »

If I can't afford to pay cash I will not buy a totally discretionary item such as a watch - just my two penn'orth.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Kettmark

Post by Kettmark »

I'm of the same ilk, as with cars. Save up and buy them outright. Feels more satisfying knowing it really belongs to you rather than the bank.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

at 0% and if i knew i was good for it for the term then yes id go for it.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

Bought many, many items on 0% where I would not have if the offer was not available. I bought the Beast in the Jan sale for £51 per month over 12 months. I buy expensive video cards and video cameras too, many even come with cash back.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I've bought a couple on 0% over the years, but always have the cash in the bank just in case.

In fact I tend to clear mine off early when times are good. 0% is only worth doing if you can also get a good discount on the watch in question as well as taking the cheap finance, although many providers reduce the term or remove the 0% free option when they discount by 40%+.

I wouldn't by a CW on 0% just with the £100 voucher, but I would consider when they are reducing the watch by 50%/60% - I do agree the CW offering is quite rigid, although I have no experience of using it.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

I think the discount codes work with the 0 percent finance. In real terms you are better off, unless it was a choice between this a good discount

I think these are different to car payments of several £100s a month and invariably have an interest charge.

I even got a Rolex gmt master two on zero percent ! Those were the days!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

While I’ve taken advantage of 0% financing offers, I’ve never bought something because of the offer. When I’ve purchased something with 0% financing, I was already going to make the purchase with cash in hand anyway. If however somebody will give me the use of their money for free, I’ll happily take advantage of it to the benefit of my cash flow.

If you won’t do 0% over one year, but would do it over 2 or more, that sounds to me like the financing is enabling a purchase you just can’t afford. And as someone mentioned already, that’s a bad idea with a discretionary purchase.
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

UK only for the financing option from CW so bit limiting for us foreigners :D
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

golfjunky wrote:at 0% and if i knew i was good for it for the term then yes id go for it.
Spot on mate

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

Andy-Smith wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm Bought many, many items on 0% where I would not have if the offer was not available. I bought the Beast in the Jan sale for £51 per month over 12 months. I buy expensive video cards and video cameras too, many even come with cash back.
You must have got a really good price for the Beast in the sale!!??
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

If I'm paying the same price for 0% interest or for cash then I'll always take the finance option. I won't buy if I don't have the money there though.

It's very simple, money makes money. I'll keep it in my own "pocket" for as long as I can. I bought my C65 on 0% and by the end of the year when it was paid I'd more than doubled the cash that I would've laid out for it. It made it feel like it was free.
alansmithee

Post by alansmithee »

A watch is the last thing I'd buy on credit at the start of a global depression.
Gibbs
CW-watches: 0

Post by Gibbs »

I have two points of view:

1) It would be really nice to pick up a watch, or really anything that I really wanted on a payment plan since i get the satisfaction of getting it right away, and it's just a simple payment. It will scratch the itch... however....
2) there will be more itches that need scratching. With any discretionary purchase such as a watch, I don't believe that this should be used in this instance, and really, this is all a hobby to everyone here. No one _needs_ an expensive watch, but we all want one.

I do believe a 0% interest payment plan has it's place, but for items that require it (car, car repair, home/condo, maybe even produce delivery, etc). With what's going on outside right now, I would have that discretionary spending money in the bank _just in case_. When it blows over, I can reevaluate once that money frees up.

By the way, this wasn't always my train of thought - I got into financial trouble when i was younger, but luckily that didn't carry over too too much in my adult days :)
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

willttqs wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 am Dear all,

I wonder if part of the success of expensive watches is down to the four or even five year 0% finance deals that lots of retailers are offering. Being able to buy a pretty impressive watch for £40 a month or thereabouts makes it affordable for many people.

With this in mind, I wonder if Christopher Ward should look into longer 0% finance deals, especially as watches are becoming more expensive. I am very interested in the new GMT watch, but with the titanium bracelet it is £1715 on over £100 a month. If they did it with two or even three years finance I would be pretty keen.

What do you chaps reckon?

W
I can afford £1.50 a month, but no more. Do you think CW could do me a deal ?