Selling on Ebay

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Coanda
Junior
Junior

Selling on Ebay

Post by Coanda »

Hello everyone. I am sure this is not a new problem for anyone, but I tried selling a relatively older CW model on Ebay (C60 red bezel GMT, new logo 43mm) but the buyer returned saying it was not 43mm. You can imagine I was very confused.

I reviewed my original purchase email from CW and re-measured myself. It was 43mm. He states the website only sells 42mm versions of the GMT, hence he is correct and I am wrong. I tried to point out it was an older model.

What has been your memorable experience selling a watch or anything else on Ebay/online?

(I did refer him to the forum so he could ask people here himself, so maybe he will see this post.)
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Re: Selling on Ebay

Post by IanKelly63 »

Sorry - no interesting eBay stories.

Are you going to relist? If so, a link would be appreciated.
CW x 3
Others...
Casio x 8,Citizen x 2,Coen Anders x 1,Hamilton x 3,Ingersoll x 1,Junghans x 2,
Marloe x 2,Orient x 1,Rotary x 1,Seiko x 3,Swatch x 1,Tissot x 2
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Bit of a minefield.

Potentially worth referring to the CWArchives as a definitive reference point but frankly, if a buyer is going to be that awkward just get the watch back and give them a refund.

Alternatively, you could open a dispute with PayPal/eBay, using the CWArchives for reference again, to get them on your side.

Guy

PS> no horror stories here either I'm afraid to say.

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:41 pm
....but frankly, if a buyer is going to be that awkward just get the watch back and give them a refund.
Exactly, some people..... :o
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

....and this is main reason I am very hesitant to try selling on Ebay.... :( :(
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I've sold things with no issues (not watches). I hate eBay though and use it exclusively to buy SIM cards in bulk as there's nowhere else I can get the product.

I've been given half an order, out of date product, my accounts been hacked, one seller didn't even attempt to post the product. I'll always came out on the right side though.

I've learnt a few things. The main ones being to not have PayPal and eBay connected so you're not automatically paying. Always have goods sent click and collect (or special delivery/recorded) as then there's a paper trail of the order. Other thing is to always check out the sellers/buyers feedback in as much detail as you can.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I've experienced the good - items accurately described, well packed and delivered quickly

The bad - Poor descriptions, sellers selling items as new when they are used, selling from the UK when drop shipping from China etc

The Ugly - Sellers selling but not posting items, buyers using stolen accounts and selling the goods several weeks later. Buyers using an item for a month, then filing a not as described and returning in used condition.

I could rant for pages, but it's the 'best' online marketplace imho. It'll be interesting to see whether its success will take a knock with Corona.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

Coanda wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:59 pm Hello everyone. I am sure this is not a new problem for anyone, but I tried selling a relatively older CW model on Ebay (C60 red bezel GMT, new logo 43mm) but the buyer returned saying it was not 43mm. You can imagine I was very confused.

I reviewed my original purchase email from CW and re-measured myself. It was 43mm. He states the website only sells 42mm versions of the GMT, hence he is correct and I am wrong. I tried to point out it was an older model.

What has been your memorable experience selling a watch or anything else on Ebay/online?

(I did refer him to the forum so he could ask people here himself, so maybe he will see this post.)
I’ve processed many small value orders on Ebay, many of which are are size specified. Very occasionally a buyer will claim that the size is say 25mm diameter, when in fact it is 28mm, as advertised. Even showing the buyer the item between vernier callipers showing the diameter at 28.00mm will not convince the person. The buyer’s trusty old tape measure, stretched from years of use, suggests 25mm. Or perhaps sometimes poor eye sight has the person genuinely believing that they are correct. And then of course, some buyers will absolutely refuse to budge, even if they realise that they are mistaken.

I agree with guy. I would try and get the watch back and refund to resolve the dispute.

One point to bear in mind with refunds though, which now applies to business sellers as from early March 2020 (possibly private sellers also?), is that Paypal has changed their policy on refunding fees for refunds. Whilst they will not charge a fee for the refund, nor will they now refund the fee relating to the original payment received. Previously, the commission element was refunded, from now on they keep both the original commission and the fixed transaction fee. Small beer perhaps, but it does leave the seller with a cost (with no sale).

Finally, when selling any item that is size specific, where possible always try and include an image of the item against a measuring device, demonstrating the advertised size. I realise this is not easy with watches.
Regards
Craig
Coanda
Junior
Junior

Post by Coanda »

Final update.

It appears the buyer made an honest mistake not realizing the 43mm was a discontinued model.

I have re-listed the watch, if you search 'Christopher Ward GMT' you should find it. I didn't think the mods would approve placing an Ebay link here.

Thanks to everyone else for sharing their stories and advice. I'll get a better set of calipers and include the size for next time.

Stay safe.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Always good to include a pic of the caliper on the watch showing the measurement. Hard to dispute that. Good luck, stay well.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

The Omega Speedmaster Schumacher that I have on EBay and also listed here, the one with the bright yellow dial: I've had several tyre-kickers on EBay one of whom simply didn't complete the transaction by paying for his purchase and eventually messaged me to say that if I contacted EBay about his behaviour please could I say that he made a genuine mistake because he thought he was buying the red dial version?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

tikkathree wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:47 pm The Omega Speedmaster Schumacher that I have on EBay and also listed here, the one with the bright yellow dial: I've had several tyre-kickers on EBay one of whom simply didn't complete the transaction by paying for his purchase and eventually messaged me to say that if I contacted EBay about his behaviour please could I say that he made a genuine mistake because he thought he was buying the red dial version?
There is an option when listing an item that requires immediate payment from the buyer to complete the transaction ... no payment, no sale.
I always try to use this to avoid the above scenario you've encountered.

Another thing I try to avoid is auction-style listings. It is rife with people making last minute bids on watches only to then realise they didn't really want the item and therefore do not pay.

@Craig64 - I did not realise that Paypal now keep their fees in the case of refunds.
That would make me cautious about listing on there going forward.
Luckily I've never had to issue a refund, but there could always be that one time.
The PayPal fees can be relatively significant when selling a watch.

I did read some time ago that eBay were looking to switch to another payment provider once the contract with Paypal is up. IIRC, there was talk of a link up with some Scandinavian provider.
Whether this is still the case, I have no idea.
Ryan
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

StrappedUp wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:05 am
tikkathree wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:47 pm The Omega Speedmaster Schumacher that I have on EBay and also listed here, the one with the bright yellow dial: I've had several tyre-kickers on EBay one of whom simply didn't complete the transaction by paying for his purchase and eventually messaged me to say that if I contacted EBay about his behaviour please could I say that he made a genuine mistake because he thought he was buying the red dial version?
There is an option when listing an item that requires immediate payment from the buyer to complete the transaction ... no payment, no sale.
I always try to use this to avoid the above scenario you've encountered.
Good tip!
StrappedUp wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:05 amAnother thing I try to avoid is auction-style listings. It is rife with people making last minute bids on watches only to then realise they didn't really want the item and therefore do not pay.
EBay is the home of those genetically disposed to bid and then change their mind.

I've also had a seller very recently who did the same: changed his mind. My due diligence includes a quick check of the seller's profile and a feedback score of 8 caused me to limit my interest to an opening bid punt but go no higher.
I thought the opening bid amount was about right for the watch anyway. I was surprised 12 hours later to find that I was the sole bidder and had won the auction.
The seller was obviously tracking his auction because, before I could pay, I received a message from him to say that just before the auction ended he sold the watch to a friend in the same town and so please could I withdraw my winning bid?
Well you can't withdraw a bid in the final 21 hours (I think) of an auction and anyway, I was happy to proceed.
In his subsequent messages he got quite shirty so I tried to contact EBay to alert them to his antics but due to current working conditions could not bring about a person-to-person call with EBay customer service.
In the end I didn't send the money so wrote it off as a watch simply not bought.....
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:23 am
EBay is the home of those genetically disposed to bid and then change their mind.
So is the whole bloody world....nowadays there a lot of people out there that think nothing of welshing on commitments.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

It's very hard to find another selling format that actually works, and gives some sort of protection, albeit more for the buyer. Yes, I have had a few bad experiences. Once sold a quartz watch, and pulled the crown out to save battery life. The seller was so stupid he hadn't realised this, and started a return based on the basis the item being faulty. I told him what had happened, but he failed to cancel the return. It took about six weeks before eBay released the money. A few years ago I sold a 1940s Cortebert Grand Prix watch. The watch was in exceptional condition for the year, and the buyer got a real bargain for £100. She returned it because there were a few scratches on the back. I bet she is kicking herself now, the watch is worth about £500 :D