Christopher Ward Price for a Battery Replacement.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Christopher Ward Price for a Battery Replacement.

Post by Laird »

Last Tuesday I used their Web Query Form to request the price of a Battey Replacement for a C70.

Today I get a response - BUT - they want me to send it in for evaluation for any repairs needed - when they then quote for their findings they will also provide the charge for a Battery Replacement !

Erm ....... not what I requested at all !

Has anyone recently just had a battery replaced ? Can you advise on the Charge please ?

Curious why such a straightforward job couldnt be priced on the Website ....

Thanks to anyone that knows.
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Re: Christopher Ward Price for a Battery Replacement.

Post by IanKelly63 »

I wouldn't bother sending your watch back for CW for a battery change. It's really easy to do this yourself if you have the right tools.

A couple of years ago (when I didn't have the right tools) I took a Citizen into Ernest Jones for a battery change. I was told it would take 6 weeks and cost £70...

I took my watch round the corner and found a watch guy in our local market - he changed the battery for £5 and it took him 2 minutes!
CW x 3
Others...
Casio x 8,Citizen x 2,Coen Anders x 1,Hamilton x 3,Ingersoll x 1,Junghans x 2,
Marloe x 2,Orient x 1,Rotary x 1,Seiko x 3,Swatch x 1,Tissot x 2
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I had the battery in a C6 Kingfisher replaced by CW including a WR pressure test, at the beginning of the year; cost £20 plus return postage.

Turned around in about three weeks.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior

Post by IanKelly63 »

CW x 3
Others...
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior

Post by IanKelly63 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm I had the battery in a C6 Kingfisher replaced by CW including a WR pressure test, at the beginning of the year; cost £20 plus return postage.

Turned around in about three weeks.

Guy
That's not bad... I didn't take the pressure test into account.
CW x 3
Others...
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Laird »

IanKelly63 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm I wouldn't bother sending your watch back for CW for a battery change. It's really easy to do this yourself if you have the right tools.

I took my watch round the corner and found a watch guy in our local market - he changed the battery for £5 and it took him 2 minutes!
Yep - my guy charges £7 - but doesnt pressure test or keep O-rings in stock in case the old one is a tad malformed ..

Fairly happy to do it myself, but dread losing a tiny screw from the bridge-strap retaining the battery in a C70 - so all in all usually opt to have it done - however, I'm selling this soon & want be be able to say its been pressure tested etc - so thought I'd get a price from CWL.

Wish I hadnt bothered - how long-winded can it get !

Guy - £20 - thats not too bad, apart from the wait !

Thanks both !
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior

Post by IanKelly63 »

Laird wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:17 pm
IanKelly63 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm I wouldn't bother sending your watch back for CW for a battery change. It's really easy to do this yourself if you have the right tools.

Yep - my guy charges £7 - but doesnt pressure test or keep O-rings in stock in case the old one is a tad malformed ..

Fairly happy to do it myself, but dread losing a tiny screw from the bridge-strap retaining the battery in a C70 - so all in all usually opt to have it done - however, I'm selling this soon & want be be able to say its been pressure tested etc - so thought I'd get a price from CWL.

Wish I hadnt bothered - how long-winded can it get !

Guy - £20 - thats not too bad, apart from the wait !

Thanks both !
O-rings are super cheap - I bought a bag of 100 - assorted sizes 32-50mm - for about £4, and silicon grease for £5. Still, I understand that by sending back to CW, you get some peace of mind.
CW x 3
Others...
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Dropped my girlfriend's W8 IPK in for a battery change at CW in February whilst I was in the UK at the time.
Declan kindly changed it for me while I was there.
However the next day the watch stopped.
I got it dropped back to them and after an inspection found the movement had died.
New movement being fitted at the moment.
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior

Post by IanKelly63 »

MiniMpi wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:40 pm Dropped my girlfriend's W8 IPK in for a battery change at CW in February whilst I was in the UK at the time.
Declan kindly changed it for me while I was there.
However the next day the watch stopped.
I got it dropped back to them and after an inspection found the movement had died.
New movement being fitted at the moment.
:shock:
That's too much of a coincidence for my liking...
CW x 3
Others...
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I send mine back to CW as per Guy's post. Straightforward and cheap. My Tissots via Ernest Jones (with pressure testing) were £60ish.
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

I asked the very same question 10 days ago for my C70 - the response “Our battery replacements are roughly 20 pounds. My technicians may advise that additional work may need to be done which will have additional charges.”

Currently in - will let you know how long it takes. CW has confirmed safe receipt and it is being “inspected”.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Laird »

Thx for that info - I finally got a reply mid-pm and she said exactly the same thing ... are they looking for business by doing an inspection when just a battery change is requested !
Ttf23 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:11 pm
I asked the very same question 10 days ago for my C70 - the response “Our battery replacements are roughly 20 pounds. My technicians may advise that additional work may need to be done which will have additional charges.”

Currently in - will let you know how long it takes. CW has confirmed safe receipt and it is being “inspected”.
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by nigelb001 »

Recently the battery expired in my Bulova Curv. I took it to Timpsons in my local Tesco. They charged £28 including a pressure test and a card entitling me to free replacement batteries for life for that watch, which may be a good thing as the original lasted less than 3 years. It was done in 15 minutes, no stress, no damage, while I picked up a few bottles of wine.

If the battery expires in my CW C7 Rapide, I'd do the same rather than lose the watch for 3-4 weeks at CW towers.
CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Squalus »

How long does the battery in a C70 usually lasts? I planned on sending my watch to CW for servicing and a battery change but it is still running, four years now. The batteries in my other quartz watches have long lost their charge.
VW4-RedRock.jpg
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

Hi Folks
Although some time passed since the previous posting, I read your comments with interest, as the battery in my wife’s Quartz Omega Seamaster needs replacing. To send it away and have it done by an authorised dealer would cost between £60 and £80.

I decided to risk attempting the job myself, buying a case clamp device, a Jaxa type case removal tool, and some silicone O ring grease. To my absolute relief, the case back proved easy to remove, no damage done, and the O ring remained fully seated in its deep groove of the case. So having identified the battery, I have ordered an identical replacement (£2 cost), and I will complete the task once the new battery arrives.

Although this route won’t have the benefit of any pressure testing, this watch has never got wet, and probably never will, so I am happy to take a chance regarding water resistance.

One thing I have learnt in the relatively short time that I have started collecting a few watches, is that with a few decent tools, and a careful clinical approach, it is much easier than I imagined, to be able to do quite a few jobs DIY style, to a top notch standard. And it is immensely satisfying.
Regards
Craig