Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Christopher Ward Watch Praise

Post by Viognier » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:37 pm

Devarika Woulf wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 am

The Trident Mk III is competing with divers near it's price range (Grey Market) like the Oris Aquis, Longines HydroConquest, and Tag Heuer Aquaracer. The quality is on par or better in certain areas. But the Trident isn't playing quite with the big companies yet.

From all I've read and seen, the only micro brand competing with the big boys is Monta and their Oceanking. Though it costs $1000 more, the quality is about on-par with Tudor and close to Omega. It uses just a typical Swiss movement but it's regulated well. CW do have their nicer in-house movement but aren't using them on the Tridents currently. I personally wouldn't pay the large increase over a Sellita/ETA.
Thanks Joseph. I compared the C60 MK3 to a Tudor and IMO the overall watch, fit, finish and bracelet was right up there on par. For me, in-house movements have to offer a material point of difference otherwise a well regulated ETA/Sellita can hold their own against an in-house COSC. By point of difference i mean a hour hand that moves independently of the minute hand (when setting time zones) or longer power reserve as a couple of examples that are important to me.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy

Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Viognier » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Enjoying the conversation everyone, thank you for your comments, perspective and opinions!! No right or wrong here, just good old fashioned watch talk!!!

Theo_s
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Theo_s » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:50 pm

Viognier wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:37 pm
Devarika Woulf wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 am

The Trident Mk III is competing with divers near it's price range (Grey Market) like the Oris Aquis, Longines HydroConquest, and Tag Heuer Aquaracer. The quality is on par or better in certain areas. But the Trident isn't playing quite with the big companies yet.

From all I've read and seen, the only micro brand competing with the big boys is Monta and their Oceanking. Though it costs $1000 more, the quality is about on-par with Tudor and close to Omega. It uses just a typical Swiss movement but it's regulated well. CW do have their nicer in-house movement but aren't using them on the Tridents currently. I personally wouldn't pay the large increase over a Sellita/ETA.
Thanks Joseph. I compared the C60 MK3 to a Tudor and IMO the overall watch, fit, finish and bracelet was right up there on par. For me, in-house movements have to offer a material point of difference otherwise a well regulated ETA/Sellita can hold their own against an in-house COSC. By point of difference i mean a hour hand that moves independently of the minute hand (when seeking time zones) or longer power reserve as a couple of examples that are important to me.
Agreed. I've never understood why people blindly label an in-house movement as being some kind of massive positive. I can totally get behind the idea of giving them credit for being able to create their own movement, but if it doesn't actually provide any tangible advantage over a "generic" movement...what's the point? Objectively, it'll most likely cost you more to get it serviced/repaired, etc etc.
Current collection : CW C60 Trident Pro 600 38mm Black/Burgundy, Custom modded Seiko SKX013, Graf Zeppelin LZ129 Moonphase 36mm, Timex Marlin reissue 34mm
Incoming piece : -

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 7
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:48 pm

Viognier wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:38 pm
Enjoying the conversation everyone, thank you for your comments, perspective and opinions!! No right or wrong here, just good old fashioned watch talk!!!
I completely agree with this, Lance. Well done and thank you for starting this thread; I have been catching up with it and it has been a most enjoyable read so far. A couple of things that I would add...

On the subject of the quickchange bracelet, Cartier has had one for the Santos for a couple of years now, and they all come with both a bracelet and a strap.

Credit where it is due? Personally, I’m with Neil in that I don’t see CW as one of the big boys for some time to come, if perhaps ever. I have a couple of the original C5 and C3 models, which are in my opinion outstanding watches of their genre and type. I also have a few more modern ones, and it is easy to see the progress that has been made in areas such as case design. As Neil says, when they get it right the results are very good indeed. Perhaps there are people who find it hard to see past the logo if they don’t happen to like it, or past the QC and CS questions, particularly if they personally have had issues; understood. But take a look at the CW Archive and see what has been achieved in just 15 years. Looked at purely in terms of output and development, it’s pretty good.

Now, I am going to take issue with Ferg but in a very nice and friendly way, I hope. He has tried on watches from more upmarket brands and has not been particularly impressed. As people have been at pains to state, this is a very personal and subjective matter, and there are inevitably no right and wrong answers set in stone. Alongside my CWs and vintage watches I have, as you will know, lived with a Speedmaster Moonwatch and a Cartier Tank. To me, there is a difference when I put them on. The question, I suppose, is this: is the difference there because I EXPECT it to be there? Or is there a real difference, tangible or intangible, quantifiable or imagined, between the brands? I simply don’t know. It may well be that I look at the watch on my wrist, feel the history behind it and the cachet attached to the brand and the model, and feel differently about it.

Good discussion. :D
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:01 pm

Well said, Steve.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Omega, Orion, Oris and Seiko

Soporsche
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 11

Post by Soporsche » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:43 pm

Well said Lance and Steve, its all personal perspective. Apart from a couple of my CWs (1 older c9 chrono and 1 new c9 AM GT) i have watches from other brands that feel a bit more special when I wear them, its not just price or brand caché but the way they wear on me. There is definitely a place for both in my modest collection and strangely CWs get worn more than the others combined.
This has developed into an interesting watch thread 😁
CW's: 7+
Various others: Heuer, Tudor, Dan Henry, Seiko,..

Commisar
Junior
Junior

Post by Commisar » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:56 pm

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Viognier wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:38 pm
I completely agree with this, Lance. Well done and thank you for starting this thread; I have been catching up with it and it has been a most enjoyable read so far. A couple of things that I would add...

On the subject of the quickchange bracelet, Cartier has had one for the Santos for a couple of years now, and they all come with both a bracelet and a strap.

Credit where it is due? Personally, I’m with Neil in that I don’t see CW as one of the big boys for some time to come, if perhaps ever. I have a couple of the original C5 and C3 models, which are in my opinion outstanding watches of their genre and type. I also have a few more modern ones, and it is easy to see the progress that has been made in areas such as case design. As Neil says, when they get it right the results are very good indeed. Perhaps there are people who find it hard to see past the logo if they don’t happen to like it, or past the QC and CS questions, particularly if they personally have had issues; understood. But take a look at the CW Archive and see what has been achieved in just 15 years. Looked at purely in terms of output and development, it’s pretty good.

Now, I am going to take issue with Ferg but in a very nice and friendly way, I hope. He has tried on watches from more upmarket brands and has not been particularly impressed. As people have been at pains to state, this is a very personal and subjective matter, and there are inevitably no right and wrong answers set in stone. Alongside my CWs and vintage watches I have, as you will know, lived with a Speedmaster Moonwatch and a Cartier Tank. To me, there is a difference when I put them on. The question, I suppose, is this: is the difference there because I EXPECT it to be there? Or is there a real difference, tangible or intangible, quantifiable or imagined, between the brands? I simply don’t know. It may well be that I look at the watch on my wrist, feel the history behind it and the cachet attached to the brand and the model, and feel differently about it.

To add to this, CW dominates it's price bracket, like how I feel that Grand Seiko dominates it's price bracket.

People like to bring Monta into the conversation in regards to CW competition.... Monta costs about $800-$1000 more on average So I REALLY hope it's a better watch Image

Is CW making a Rolex/Omega for 1/10 the price?

No, I don't think so, but I do think they have come an extremely long way in less than 20 years and design/ build extremely respectable watches for their price.

Their brand isn't some fly by night special out of Hong Kong, not it is a retread or "resurrected" brand that someone bought off a rights holder for a few dollars and then began a Kickstarter campaign to cash in on nostalgia.

Instead they have become one of the most successful British watch brands in the 21st century purely on their own merit. Yes I know that isn't a massive accomplishment to some, but to me, it's a big deal as the British watch industry was obliterated about 45 years ago and is just now coming back. Even the American watch industry still has Timex, Fossil, Shinola, and some larger than average microbrands carrying the torch, along with a new movement manufacturer that came along a year ago in FTS.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

MiniMpi
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 21

Post by MiniMpi » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:35 am

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:

Good point well made Steve.

Maybe I expected something instant when I tried these watches on.
It might be totally different if I owned it and spent time with it etc.

Shows that we all like different things ;)
C65 SH21 LE #070/150, C9 AM GT LE #001, C60 Ombré #001, C1-GM-5DA, C9-JH-MK3, C7 Proto, C11 Elite, C7 Bluebird, C70 Ascari, C70 HRDC, C7 COSC LE, C65 Diver, C65 MK1 LE, C60 MK3, C60 316L LE, C60 GMT MK2, C60-TI-V2, C8 UTC, C8 MK2, C600-IPB, C5 MK3.

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:40 am

:thumbup: ^^^Good job we do, my friend. Monotony is a curse.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Thermexman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Great to hear ALL these views. My take is that, as long as I enjoy wearing, looking at and owning a particular watch, it has a place in my collection. I adore my Seiko SKX011 just as much as my Tudor BBR and one cost 20x what the other cost! Being as I own 4 CWs too, I can appreciate where they fit in the line up and they stand up rather well!
Steve.

b00ndocksaint
CW-watches: 2

Post by b00ndocksaint » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:17 pm

Thermexman wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:11 pm
Great to hear ALL these views. My take is that, as long as I enjoy wearing, looking at and owning a particular watch, it has a place in my collection. I adore my Seiko SKX011 just as much as my Tudor BBR and one cost 20x what the other cost! Being as I own 4 CWs too, I can appreciate where they fit in the line up and they stand up rather well!
Exactly this - watches should be enjoyed for what they are, regardless of cost. I have £30 Vostoks that I've modded and love just as much as my Sub or my BB58. A custom made pocket watch with my military insignia and nickname engraved means more than pieces worth 30x as much.
Rolex Sub 116610LN / Tudor BB58 / Omega Seamaster 300M Pro 2531.80.00 / Breitling Avenger II Blackbird / Vintage Omega 1950s / Bremont S501 / C60 Bronze / C60 Abyss / Dreyfuss Co 1974 / Lots of Vostok Amphibias / Skagen 234XXLT / Zelos Mako Bronze

Commisar
Junior
Junior

Post by Commisar » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Thermexman wrote:Great to hear ALL these views. My take is that, as long as I enjoy wearing, looking at and owning a particular watch, it has a place in my collection. I adore my Seiko SKX011 just as much as my Tudor BBR and one cost 20x what the other cost! Being as I own 4 CWs too, I can appreciate where they fit in the line up and they stand up rather well!
Exactly

My $15 hand wound Timex from 1965 isn't going anywhere, nor is my Orient Mako 2

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Viognier » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:48 pm
To me, there is a difference when I put them on. The question, I suppose, is this: is the difference there because I EXPECT it to be there? Or is there a real difference, tangible or intangible, quantifiable or imagined, between the brands? I simply don’t know. It may well be that I look at the watch on my wrist, feel the history behind it and the cachet attached to the brand and the model, and feel differently about it.

To AVO’s point, do you feel a difference when you put a Christopher Ward on your wrist versus a Seiko, Orient , Timex, Invicta, Steinhart etc? Or do you know the CW quality and expect it as he notes above when he puts on his Speedmaster or Reverso.

Unrealistic but fun experiment, would be to be blindfolded and handed a CW C60 MK3 amongst other brands of dive watches ( more and less expensive ) and see the results.

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:37 pm

Well now, that’s an interesting notion, Lance. I enjoyed wearing my CWs and I have an Orient and a couple of other cheap watches that get an airing from time to time. I must admit that I hadn’t thought of it in that way.

I’m not sure that your idea of a blindfold test would work. I concede that the FEEL of the watch might be significant, but they are such visual objects that I think I would find it difficult to make a judgement without being able to see.
Steve
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Viognier » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:47 pm

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:37 pm
I’m not sure that your idea of a blindfold test would work. I concede that the FEEL of the watch might be significant, but they are such visual objects that I think I would find it difficult to make a judgement without being able to see.
Very fair point Steve