C65 automatic steel bracelet - not quick release?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Bellefield

C65 automatic steel bracelet - not quick release?

Post by Bellefield »

My C65 automatic in blue arrived this morning to my work address, and I was eager to try it on.

I bought it in the newly new sale on Monday night, so it arrived here on the Isle of Man fairly quickly, was quite impressed with that.

As I'd bought the bracelet model, I also purchased a vintage oak strap to go with it, in part so I could wear it straight away, as I don't keep my watch tools in the office.

However the bracelet that came with it is not quick release, so I'll have to use my tools anyway tonight. I was a bit disappointed with that as I thought the bracelet was QR for this model, in fact on the straps page, the bracelet for this watch says that it has a "Quick-release system for easy changing".

What is people's experience with the bracelet for the C65 automatic? Is this just an older model from last year or do none of them come with QR bracelets?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C65 automatic steel bracelet - not quick release?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Bellefield - The bracelet for current C65 Trident Diver / Automatic / GMT models does have the 'new' QR spring bars, which were introduced a few months ago.

However being Nearly New your watch may have originally been sold/brought into use last year, before the introduction of the QR bracelet i.e. "this just an older model from last year".

To be sure there hasn't been a mistake with the picking/shipping, it might be worth comparing the description in the listing of the watch from when you bought it and/or cross checking the SKU for the current QR bracelet and the SKU on your Invoice.

Hope this helps.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bellefield

Post by Bellefield »

Good point, the SKU of the current model is C65-41ADA1-S0BB0-B0 and the SKU of my purchase was N65-41ADA1-S0BB0-B0, so I assume that the N prefix means its from the Nearly New sale? But otherwise, its the same SKU
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Bellefield wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:55 pm Good point, the SKU of the current model is C65-41ADA1-S0BB0-B0 and the SKU of my purchase was N65-41ADA1-S0BB0-B0, so I assume that the N prefix means its from the Nearly New sale? But otherwise, its the same SKU
Yes; the 'N' prefix denotes Nearly New. What I was suggesting though is to compare the specific SKU for the bracelet.

The SKU for the current 'new' bracelet being 22-STL-10-SXS-MA .

What is the SKU for the bracelet on your (itemised) Invoice?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bellefield

Post by Bellefield »

the bracelet came with the watch, it wasn't itemised separately
Bellefield

Post by Bellefield »

only the leather strap, which I ordered in addition to the watch was itemised separately
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

^^ i would like to encourage you to phone CW directly and see if they can help you with determining which bracelet specifically fits your C65
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
HaaBratt

Post by HaaBratt »

...and if you wanna sell the bracelet to buy a new QR one, contact me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bellefield

Post by Bellefield »

To be honest, I'm losing the will to live with this bracelet. Its a really tight fit, so I can get one end out, but when I try the other, the end I've got out pops back in again, and I'm trying to be very careful with my new bracelet. Right now, I'm even considering sending it back, but I know that is because I'm annoyed with the strap and with CW.

I made the mistake of emailing CW customer services, so I probably won't hear from them for at least 2 weeks (based on others experience here), so I'll probably call them in the morning. Hopefully it won't be a long wait.

I'll take it to my local watch repair shop and ask them if they can take it off for me. Even the thought of doing this is making me angry as I thought I was getting quick release pins so I wouldn't have to do this.

I know its only my first day, and hopefully I'll be able to wear the watch tomorrow, but this is a very frustrating start with CW, and I'm not entirely sure that I will stick with the watch or CW.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Honestly, I'd be grateful to have received the old bracelet with the C65; they fit the proper vintage look better. The QR one isn't bad though! :)
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I feel your pain, normally changing a bracelet causes me to turn the air blue at least a few times before I finally get the job done.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by nigelb001 »

I agree, changing bracelets can be a pain in the proverbial, there is a knack to it that comes with experience. On the other hand we would complain about gaps around the lugs if they were too slack. It's not just a CW thing they are all the same, just some are a bit more difficult than others.
CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
Bellefield

Post by Bellefield »

I didn't get a response to my email, so I called them. I spoke to a lady who looked into it for me and she said that because the nearly new advert had been removed (as I'd bought it) then she couldn't easily tell whether the watch was advertised with a QR strap or if dispatch had made a mistake and would I like her to check further on this or it might be easier for me just to take it to a jewelers and ask them to change the strap for me.

She sounded just as bored and uninterested as the content of her reply.

Without the QR bracelet I'm not really interested in the watch so I asked to return it.

She said that she would send out a returns bag and when it comes in see if it anything could be done, but she sounded disinterested.

Let's see what happens next, I hope the return goes ok and CW doesn't try to screw me over on the 60 days guarantee because its a nearly new watch.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

What I've done when removing my CW bracelets is to hold the watch dial down in my hand (well, middle of my fingers) with my thumb positioned on the caseback to apply some downward pressure.

Then I use a springbar tool to free the one side applying a slight upwards (towards me) pressure on the endlink with my index finger to stop the springbar popping back in.
I then free the other side and voila ... out it pops.

Held something like this ...

When the bracelet is actually fitted, I position the narrowest part of the clasp (opened) above the endlink I'm removing for easiest access.

Everyone has their own way, but I've used this on all the C60s and C65s I've owned and it takes no time at all.
Ryan
Bellefield

Post by Bellefield »

Good idea, I might give that a go, although your pins have ledges that mine don't, I ended up using my pointy tweezers to grip them and pull down which worked well but I couldn't get the other end out, maybe due to the additional pressure due to the loose end of the spring being compressed against the case rather than in the hole.