C60 Crown "cracking"

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Re: C60 Crown "cracking"

Post by heffergm »

I've been trawling the internet for other mentions of this sort of thing, and if I had to put my money on something, it would be this:

"My BBB is on its way back to RSC for this very issue. Very similar to what you described with the grinding noise in the crown. I took it to my AD and they said the crown spring is binding against the crown tube. While I was told it won't harm the watch, I still wanted it fixed, and they sent it in for a warranty repair."

The feeling and sound is exactly like a spring backed screw. I don't know enough about what the mechanism looks like to guess why it's an issue for one watch and not another.
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

Here's another one:

"So I took the blue BB to RSC for an inspection. Some grease was applied to the underside of the crown and thread of the crown tube and the grinding feeling was gone. RSC feels the grinding feeling may have been caused by the spring in the crown rotating when it was screwed down rather than just compressing."
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

Another (Seamaster):

"No should not make a winding sound while screwing down the crown.

One of two things could be happening

1 the stem is too short, which would not let the crown disengage the stem while pushing in,

2 the spring inside the crown is binding, and making a noise that sounds a lot like the winding sound.

Both not a big deal, just annoying."

-------------------

"If it is just the spring inside the crown binding, it will not hurt anything it will just be annoying, so that part is up to you.

However to "fix" the noise the case back must be opened and the stem & crown removed, then about three drops of HP 1000 applied at the "hex" of the crown usually does the trick..( the oil will find its way to the internal crown spring after a few times of being screwed down)"
b_form

Post by b_form »

Ok guys, I believe I have an interesting update.

Recap: About a month ago I received my "Nearly New" trident pro 600 40mm. From the beginning I noticed the problem discussed here. I can't say I have a lot of experience with watches, but screwing in the crown felt wrong mechanically (unlike the winding, for example). The winding produces a constant slight grinding sounds and quiet clicks with the same intervals. Screwing in the crown produces clicks that were varying in loudness, and not with any intervals.
I've tried checking online, but the consensus is either "it's winding while you screw in" (it's not, at least by feel) or "it gets better" (it doesn't). But I rarely unscrew it, and it's water resistant (I stuck it under the faucet), so I forgot about it until today.
Today I check the forums for this problem again, and lo and behold, here's this thread. So I try all of the advice (aligning the threads before screwing in, rotating it counter-clockwise before screwing in) and nothing works. So then, I start

The interesting part:
It keeps bugging me, so I do the following:
1) I unscrew the crown, and use a thin brush on the threads. I notice it takes off some black-ish residue (lubrication, I presume). After that screwing in the crown produces the same noise, but in bigger quantities (so it got worth).
I didn't expect it to be the threads themselves, because the noise does sound like a spring, and not like grinding. But then I
2) Use a bit of a very liquid oil (the one I use for my sewing machine) on the tip of a toothpick - I'd estimate 1/10 of a drop. Add it to the threads, and screw and unscrew a couple of times.
The result - the noise is gone. Now, if I screw in the crown, the action is MUCH smoother, and the only noise I hear is the winding noise (I'm not sure if it should be decouples when screwing in, but there's protection from over-winding, so I don't care).
The cons - I don't know if I messed something up or voided the warranty. Also, I can swear that the final position of the screwed-in crown is about 20 degrees less than it was (judging by the twin flag image). I wish I had taken photos. Therefore I don't know if the watch is still water-resistant and I'm too scared to check.

So, there you have it. I don't recommend anyone does the same, but the results are interesting imo.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Several of my CW watches have exhibited this behavior. It bothered me at first but I believe the cause to be item 2 above and have decided to live with it. No big deal.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Does the counterclockwise technique also apply to quartz watches?
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Leon O wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:29 pm Does the counterclockwise technique also apply to quartz watches?
As far as I’m concerned, yes. I have three CW quartz chronographs and I always screw the crowns in using exactly the same method.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:08 pm
Leon O wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:29 pm Does the counterclockwise technique also apply to quartz watches?
As far as I’m concerned, yes. I have three CW quartz chronographs and I always screw the crowns in using exactly the same method.
Thanks I tried it on several quartz watches that I had to reset for DST, and the technique seemed to work. :)
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
PavG
CW-watches: 2

Post by PavG »

I have purchased a C60 Trident Pro 600 (38mm) in January Sales. I wore it for a few days, what a great watch... Then, one day I set a date, went to screw the crown back down, crackling noise. Tried it a couple of times with the watch wound and fully unwound, same. I talked to CW, sent it back ''for repair''. I have waited 2 weeks for the ''inspection'' Then, I received an email, saying that it will be sent to the technicians for repair. Fair enough, I thought. I got the watch 4-5 weeks later (6-7 weeks total) with a note inside, that the watch has been inspected, and there was no fault found with it. I thought that was a bit ridiculous, because apparently the fault was found during the inspection, but ok. I wore it for a couple of days again and same situation, trying to screw the crown back down, crackling. And this time while winding the watch, it felt like the rotor is engaging and wobbles - never experienced that before. I don't think I could trust this watch again, sent it back for a refund. I am really disappointed as I thought it'd be ma daily wearer...
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

Interestingly, mine stopped doing it after a week or so. As has been mentioned, it's really just stem spring binding a little.

I put it in the same bucket as the other minor manufacturing tolerance niggles that, at this price point, are just par for the course: like the 40mm bezel that had some wobble, the 38mm bezel that has some play, the bracelet clasp that's a little difficult to close.

As watch prices go up, you're really paying for ever smaller machining tolerances, which gets rid of these little issues, but at ever greater expense. At some point you decide where your preferred point of diminishing returns is. I think the CW, at ~$700 USD, is tough to beat. Yes, they're not all identical, but, well, I'll call it 'character' and just enjoy the watch.
howzz1854

Post by howzz1854 »

hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread. i am glad to hear that i am not the only one experiencing this. my 2nd CW here, first dartmouth didn't have this problem. only recently the new C60 Sapphire started doing this 2~3 days into the ownership. the best way i can describe the sound and feel of it is like compressing an old and dry sping. i think the best explanation that i can agree with is the crown spring binding to the crown. that's the only thing that makes sense to me, and the only concept that i can think of that would produce the same type of sound that i can imagine. anyway, it's just annoying. thanks for everyone's input.