Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Can A cell phone magnetized a watch?

Post by Leon O »

Can A cell phone magnztiize a watch?

As part of my routine I take my watches off at night. Often are set right next to, and sometimes touching, my cell phone. I have a couple Seikos, 7s26 and 4r35 movements, that went from about 8 to 10 seconds slow to 30 to 40 seconds slow. I was considering sending them in for warranty work, when I read that magnetized watches can also run slow. The cell phone is the only thing on, or in, my dresser that would be a likely culprit. I assume speaker in the phone has magnet that would do the damage.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Can A cell phone magnetized a watch?

Post by Bungle-ator »

Yes a mobile phone can do this.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

It's definitely possible, especially if the phone is in a case with a magnetic clasp or sensor. Same for iPads.

I think just being nearby is ok. It's when a watch is laid on a phone or iPad that the risk is higher.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

There may be contact to the side of the phone, but I do not put it on top of the phone. I can't find my compass, so I'll try to get to my watchmaker this week for a diagnosis.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

In general magnetised watches run fast as the magnetised hair spring coils attract and shorten the spring which makes it run fast. easy to correct with a demagnetiser.