Bracelet: in need of.....

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Bracelet: in need of.....

Post by tikkathree »

You guys can help me decide what to do with this "well lived-in" C60 bracelet.

Clearly the one owner from new loved his C60 COSC and didnt treat the bracelet as a safe queen.

As you look at these photos the bracelet has had a hot soapy water wash (cheese anyone?) and the a light rub with domestic kitchen/bathroom cleaner then rinsed and dried.

I could treat it with Cape cod cloth but I don't see the words "like new" appearing anytime soon.

Leave it as it is?
Take it to brushed finish?

What would you do?

I have a new one in the spares box by the way.Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Bracelet: in need of.....

Post by neilj568 »

It would be beyond my capabilities/patience but a fully brushed finish would work. I'm sure someone did this a year or so ago.
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

If you want it to look anything like new, then brushed has to be only way, unless you have the appetite to separate all the centre links and buff them individually.

A scouring pad and some elbow grease will make it look way better than it does now, if not “like new”.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Use wet and dry paper, start at grit 400 until you get a smooth finish, then go up the grits.. 800, 1200 etc until you get the desired finish. Always use a sanding block.
Rub always in one direction., use warm water with just a drop of fairy liquid, or similar, and rinse the sandpaper frequently.
Practise first on a bit of old stainless steel.
Let us know how it goes
Time keeps on slipping into the future
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Local watchmaker around? One who services watches might be able to help give it a polish....
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Viognier wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:13 pm Local watchmaker around? One who services watches might be able to help give it a polish....
Sadly I don't have anyone local which is why I end up sending stuff away by post.
Ian Mc wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:02 pm Use wet and dry paper, start at grit 400 until you get a smooth finish, then go up the grits.. 800, 1200 etc until you get the desired finish. Always use a sanding block.
Rub always in one direction., use warm water with just a drop of fairy liquid, or similar, and rinse the sandpaper frequently.
Let us know how it goes

Better see what's in the house decorating box but this'll create what kind of finish? Brushed?
0uatiOW wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:55 pm If you want it to look anything like new, then brushed has to be only way, unless you have the appetite to separate all the centre links and buff them individually.

A scouring pad and some elbow grease will make it look way better than it does now, if not “like new”.
Well I'm in no rush and I suppose I can use the dremel to buff the centres...... and splitting the links will inform me on the condition of the link pins...

You guys want me to revive it don't you?
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

What are your intentions for the bracelet? If it's going on a 'well loved' watch head, then it will look odd if it's taken back to a like new state. A Cape Cod will clean up some of the scratches on the polished parts, and a Scotch Brite pad will do the same for the brushed portions and the clasp.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

WTF! How does anyone get a bracelet that banged up..... :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

You don't have to separate to polish. Just tape it off.
Or..
Send it to me. It will about 30 minutes
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Lavaine wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:42 pm What are your intentions for the bracelet? If it's going on a 'well loved' watch head, then it will look odd if it's taken back to a like new state. A Cape Cod will clean up some of the scratches on the polished parts, and a Scotch Brite pad will do the same for the brushed portions and the clasp.
Well the bracelet came with a C60 COSC LE which I've just grabbed on EBay so the bracelet and I go back approximately three days! I gave it a dance with the scotchbrite last night which has certainly taken the worst off and evened things up significantly. I'll post a state of play photo when (if) it comes light as I'm meeting Storm Dennis right now. The clasp needs something to fill in gouges where a meteorite crashed to earth!!
nbg wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:03 pm WTF! How does anyone get a bracelet that banged up..... :lol:

Neil
Heavy use of the "drove it like you stole it" variety? :lol: :lol:
Kip wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:03 am You don't have to separate to polish. Just tape it off.
Or..
Send it to me. It will about 30 minutes
Kip I've taken the links to an even, scotchbrited sheen and may put the dremel with a buffing wheel over the centre links just to see what happens.

The clasp has a fold-out diver extension which I don't think I've experienced before on a C60 bracelet: the later micro-adjust yes but not the fold-out.
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Sounds like an interesting project to get the bracelet back to a wearable state.

Have you now owned a mk1 Trident before? My 2012 FLE certainly has a fold out divers extension on the bracelet.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:50 am Sounds like an interesting project to get the bracelet back to a wearable state.

Have you now owned a mk1 Trident before? My 2012 FLE certainly has a fold out divers extension on the bracelet.
Well I thought that I had but they must have been on leather or rubbery......
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Ian Mc wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:02 pm Use wet and dry paper, start at grit 400 until you get a smooth finish, then go up the grits.. 800, 1200 etc until you get the desired finish. Always use a sanding block.
Let us know how it goes

Better see what's in the house decorating box but this'll create what kind of finish? Brushed?

This will create a brushed effect. I did this on my home made bronze cases and it worked well.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

Had really good results as shown. Be very very careful with abrasive paper - only use for deep scratches and always try the scotch brite type pads first.
Attachments
Strap 2.jpg
Scourer.jpg
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Ian Mc wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:15 pm
Let us know how it goes

This will create a brushed effect. I did this on my home made bronze cases and it worked well.
Well I'll avoid the farrow and ball paints on my way down to the stash of wet & dry :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands