Quartz - no need to hide...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Quartz - no need to hide...

Post by nigelb001 »

No problem with quartz here, I like to keep a variety of options. Although I have offloaded a lot of watches over the last couple of years, I have a mixture of movement types. Currently

3 Quartz
2 Manual wind
4 Automatic

I have to admit the quartz ones are my 'in a hurry, grab and go' watches. So no snobbery here....
CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by IanKelly63 »

Currently wearing...Image

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

CW x 3
Others...
Casio x 8,Citizen x 2,Coen Anders x 1,Hamilton x 3,Ingersoll x 1,Junghans x 2,
Marloe x 2,Orient x 1,Rotary x 1,Seiko x 3,Swatch x 1,Tissot x 2
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

This is a great subject to discuss. Personally I've poked around watch forums for some time "guest" without joining one.
When I did, I chose this one, even before buying a CW watch. Why? There is no snobbery here that I have detected.
My collection is rather modest and I've had no feeling ever that someone is looking down their nose at me.

End of the day, watches are watches, I/we buy them because they interest us for whatever reason and we'll get enjoyment from them.
I think THE thing about watches and places like this is the sheer variety and the reasons folks are loving them.
I do prefer a mechanical watch, there's something of a "life" about them. I also play vinyl records, there's the sound and the handling of them.
But digital has its place and so does quartz. My Chronoscope wouldn't be the watch it is without being quartz.

Just the same: I'm with MiniMpi on this one: chronographs using a small second hand are best :)
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior

Post by IanKelly63 »

Noush wrote:This is a great subject to discuss. Personally I've poked around watch forums for some time "guest" without joining one.
When I did, I chose this one, even before buying a CW watch. Why? There is no snobbery here that I have detected.
My collection is rather modest and I've had no feeling ever that someone is looking down their nose at me.

End of the day, watches are watches, I/we buy them because they interest us for whatever reason and we'll get enjoyment from them.
I think THE thing about watches and places like this is the sheer variety and the reasons folks are loving them.
I do prefer a mechanical watch, there's something of a "life" about them. I also play vinyl records, there's the sound and the handling of them.
But digital has its place and so does quartz. My Chronoscope wouldn't be the watch it is without being quartz.

Just the same: I'm with MiniMpi on this one: chronographs using a small second hand are best :)
Totally agree!

CW x 3
Others...
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Noush wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:33 pm
The seconds hand thing has never bothered me really. I know some people are devotees of the perfect, seamless sweep, but it doesn't rank among my highest priorities.

When you come to think about it, there are some very expensive mechanicals out there with a complication that perfectly imitates quartz: the jumping, or dead-beat, seconds. And what could be finer than the perfect one-second tick of a longcase clock.

Just one caveat, though. I hate quartz seconds hands that don't hit the marks all the way round. That's just sloppy.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior

Post by IanKelly63 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Noush wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:33 pm
The seconds hand thing has never bothered me really. I know some people are devotees of the perfect, seamless sweep, but it doesn't rank among my highest priorities.

When you come to think about it, there are some very expensive mechanicals out there with a complication that perfectly imitates quartz: the jumping, or dead-beat, seconds. And what could be finer than the perfect one-second tick of a longcase clock.

Just one caveat, though. I hate quartz seconds hands that don't hit the marks all the way round. That's just sloppy.
"Quartz second hands that don't hit the marks all the way round".

I'm glad to hear that it's not just me.... drives me insane.

I remember a few years ago, I wanted a Tissot Tradition quartz. I looked at 8 different watches in 3 different ADs... all of them were off! Suffice to say, I don't own a Tissot Tradition.

I've got a couple of Citizen quartz watches in the £400/500 bracket and they are bang on. And then again, I have a £30 Swatch which is spot on... Maybe I got lucky!

CW x 3
Others...
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

There are also some good quality quartz movements, that will have rubies around pinions and gold plated movements etc. They are also built with servicing them in mind, they are not a throw away item. I still like holding a good quality quartz to my ear and hearing that 'definite' tick. In a well made case it can have a lovely resonance.But as was mentioned earlier, a watch that fails to hit its minute markers is a no go.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

angusbon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:12 pm
MiniMpi wrote:Currently I have 6 quartz out of a collection of 21 watches.

I think your trio Steve shows why I love my one's too, they are nearly all chronograph models.
I find it best for me personally to have a quartz in a chronograph as you don't have the large second hand which is very obviously a quartz in it's movement.
Not hiding the fact that they are quartz, just that they are easier to live with personally.
I would happily take every single one of those Ferg Image

Cheers Chris :) :thumbup: