Quartz - no need to hide...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Quartz - no need to hide...

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sunday morning musings.

I know that for many of us, myself included, it is the love of mechanical watches, be they hand wound or automatic, that brings us to places like the forum.

Sometimes, when people talk about their quartz watches, I almost sense the keyboard equivalent of the slightly nervous cough... “Ahem!”

“I know it’s only quartz but I quite like it.”

“It’s quartz but it was a present from (.....) so I will never sell it.”

Almost as if a negative reaction is anticipated.

If you are any younger than your late 50s, then it is highly probable that your first ever watch was quartz. I wore mechanicals as a child and a teenager, but bought my first quartz at the age of 20 and didn’t wear another mechanical until I was 51! I had a quartz Omega that was my daily wear for 17 years. As far as I was concerned mechanical watches were outdated heirlooms. Wrong, but there you go.

As it happens I’m now down to 3, and as it happens they are all by CW. Although I don’t wear them very often I am perfectly happy to do so. Indeed, the C3 would actually make a very good everyday watch.

D2029391-C3B5-4E09-9117-E350184E6FB8.jpeg
30815899-3FB0-4A12-9D70-933E28F78990.jpeg
98A83631-4921-491B-84C9-60528358C25E.jpeg

Quartz can suffer a bad press in the WIS world. Mechanical will always rule as far as I am concerned, but there are some very nice quartz pieces on the forum to my knowledge.

Let's see 'em, folks!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Quartz - no need to hide...

Post by neilj568 »

I have no issue with quartz 😊
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I just can’t get over the TICK of the second hand and just love auto’s so this is my only non auto watch

BJH
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 18

Post by BJH »

Quite a few quartz in my collection and they all get wrist time!
Apologies in advance for stock photo's.
Attachments
Velatura5.jpg
Trident3002.jpg
Tag Aquaracer3.jpg
Skyhawk1.jpeg
SeikoBrown1.jpg
SeikoBlack1.jpg
Seiko Solar2.jpg
GShock1.jpg
EdificeBlack1.jpg
Edifice2.jpg
CitizenBrown1.jpg
CitizenBlack3.jpg
Breitling14.jpg
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Currently I have 6 quartz out of a collection of 21 watches.

I think your trio Steve shows why I love my one's too, they are nearly all chronograph models.
I find it best for me personally to have a quartz in a chronograph as you don't have the large second hand which is very obviously a quartz in it's movement.
Not hiding the fact that they are quartz, just that they are easier to live with personally.

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

7 out of collection of 35ish, 9 if you include the mechaquartz.. c60 300 and C7 are go to grab and go's and get a fair amount of wrist time. I agree though, quartz seem best as a chrono for me too.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

As was stated earlier, pretty much most people under the age of 55 are completely unaware that watches were powered by anything other than a battery. I didn't get my first auto until I turned fifty, I was always happy with quartz. To me a great watch isn't just about the running gear; great watch design is about so much more than that. Case and dial design are huge factors. Something with a commanding wrist presence. Personally, I will always gravitate to dive watches; largely because I spent ten years of my life diving, not because Bond wore one.

Until, I started taking a real interest in horology, I had no idea there was so much snobbery and elitism attached to something fundamentally designed to record the time. Watches are a niche interest, that appeal to the tiniest fraction of the world's population. I would always say, find a watch that you like, see that it keeps decent time and, most importantly, that you can afford it.

I love my solitary auto, I love my two quartzes. I enjoy a sweep, and equally a tick. I have no desire to be dictated to by some very wealthy, privileged watch collectors about what constitutes a 'real' watch and what doesn't.

So...I'm agreed, quartz has no need to hide. :D
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

My go-to quartz watch is this Citizen Satellite Wave:

According to Citizen...
Citizen Website wrote:In 2011, Citizen invented a unique technology: Satellite Wave. It enables watches to receive time signals from orbiting GPS satellites to display precise time and date. Citizen Satellite Wave watches have the world’s fastest* satellite time reception at 3 seconds. Satellite Wave timepieces contain the latest in high-speed motors for watch hands. There are three functions designed to stop the watch hands from moving out of position, performing a crucial role in enabling our Satellite Wave watches to function:

Antimagnetic** plates protect the motor from magnetism while not interfering with the antenna’s ability to receive signals.

Impact Detection involves a circuit that detects shock and instantaneously applies a brake to the motor to prevent watch hands from going out of position.

Automatic hand correction checks the position of hands regularly, confirms the degree of error and returns hands to the correct position.
My only regret is that I failed to follow my own rules and did not buy it on a bracelet.
Richard
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Don't have a problem with quartz watches at all infact they are an ideal grab and go watch
My favourite is my TAG Heuer F1 Ceramic:
ImageTAG_Heuer_F1_003 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
...and this one which is my go to for washing the cars or working in the garden:
ImagePolice_Chrono_002 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I just don't like quartz watches whether it's a Rolex Oysterquartz or a Casio.

My interest in watches is all about the gears, balance wheels, hairsprings etc.

I have no idea why some people relate it to some form of snobbery. That really winds me up.

Nobody has ever called me a car snob because I dislike diesel cars.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

scooter wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:41 pm
My interest in watches is all about the gears, balance wheels, hairsprings etc.

I have no idea why some people relate it to some form of snobbery. That really winds me up.

Nobody has ever called me a car snob because I dislike diesel cars.

scooter
I can't help thinking this reply may relate to my own post, largely because of the word 'snobbery' which I used in my own post. If I'm wrong, please accept my apology. Just to clarify my position, when I referred to elitism and snobbery, I was not referring to whether the watch was an auto or not, I was talking about the blinkered view of many watch enthusiasts concerning brand. As in I only buy watches if they're Rolex, Patek, AP etc.

I took this thread to suggest that there was most definitely a place for quartz watches, and I certainly agree. That is all.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Thank you for clarification of your post.

My comment still stands as regrettably a lot of people do attach snobbery to a dislike of quartz watches.

I am pleased that you do not fall into that category.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

scooter wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:41 pm Nobody has ever called me a car snob because I dislike diesel cars.

scooter
Car snob!

Took care of that problem for you :lol: .
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Lou likes a quartz :thumbup:

Simmo
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Simmo »

No problem with Quartz whatsoever here! In fact I have one rule when it comes to collecting watches, If I like it I'll buy it! One of my favourite and most worn watches is my Bulova lunar pilot.
Screenshot_20200209-195522.png