How often do you sport a moonphase?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: How often do you sport a moonphase?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

WalterSMonaco wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:20 am Seems like the consensus is most of these watches are mainly fancy conversation pieces.

MC
When I used the term conversation piece, I was obviously just meaning for myself. There is absolutely no reason why a person could not wear one of these as their every day watch if they wish to.

If the Moonglow had appeared maybe five or six years ago, I would probably have one by now. But I have rather moved away from wearing dress watches most of the time, preferring something that looks and feels a little more robust and practical, perhaps.

I think the consensus is, or at least ought to be, follow your own instincts and if you like something enough, go for it if you can.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

Have had two moonphase watches, the last one being a Seiko Moon for about a year and loved wearing it as my sole dressy watch. Had lots of comments too if you get a nice one with a gold moon instead of one just printed on.

However, if it's an automatic (like both mine were) and you dont wear it every day or keep it wound, the moonphase is a pain to keep accurate and in the end, I simply couldn't be bothered to spend time setting it, especially when there were other watches all waiting to be worn out of the box.

I'd definitely consider getting another moonphase but only if it was a daily driver or quartz (one of the few types I reckon a quartz suits quite well).
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

WalterSMonaco wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:42 am I’m seriously considering the Moonglow bit wondering how much mileage I would get out of moonphase. I currently have 3 divers, a GMT and 2 chronos.

How often are you wearing moonphase?

MC
I think that the style and number of watches that you already have probably tells you that you wouldn’t wear it very often. :)

If one of your existing watches was a dress watch and you indicated that you wore it regularly, then yes you may well end up wearing a Moonphase on a regular basis. But it isn’t.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK