C6 Bezel removal and alignment

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Tony Rama
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Tony Rama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:53 am

Hi, I've had a C6 Kingfisher T3 from new. It's a great watch. My daily beater. It's survived many knocks and rough handling. Bullet proof construction.

From new the 12 pip on the bezel has been half a second mis-aligned. Is there some instruction on how to remove it and re-align it?

tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: C6 Bezel removal and alignment

Post by tikkathree » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 am

I'm curious to know why it's taken all this time for you to get round to addressing this.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

C60 MKI COSC, C60 MKII Day Date LE, C6 Kingfisher, C60 Kingfisher, C600 Tritech x 3

Tony Rama
Senior
Senior

Post by Tony Rama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:23 am

tikkathree wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 am
I'm curious to know why it's taken all this time for you to get round to addressing this.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I was only very slightly bothered by it when it was new, but I've been getting more bothered over the last few years to the point of doing something.

Tony Rama
Senior
Senior

Post by Tony Rama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:27 pm

Any advise on re-aligning the bezel would be gratefully received, or pointing me in the direction of some video or thread. I guess I have grown more attached to this watch over the last 12 years. It's been totally reliable and the longest I've owned one watch.

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:09 pm

My understanding of bezel construction is that the bezel cannot be removed and realigned. The alignment of the bezel is achieved by the placement of the insert. To align the bezel the insert is placed after the bezel is installed in order to achieve the proper alignment. Unfortunately it is unlikely that you can remove the insert without damaging it. You could check with CW and see if they have spares, but based on the age of the C6 it seems unlikely.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 29
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:35 pm

Lavaine wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:09 pm
My understanding of bezel construction is that the bezel cannot be removed and realigned. The alignment of the bezel is achieved by the placement of the insert. To align the bezel the insert is placed after the bezel is installed in order to achieve the proper alignment. Unfortunately it is unlikely that you can remove the insert without damaging it. You could check with CW and see if they have spares, but based on the age of the C6 it seems unlikely.
Except the C6 doesn't have a bezel insert per se. It is a complete item.

What I feel will need to be done is the bezel removed, the fitting / ratchet ring repositioned and the bezel replaced.

Unfortunately I've no idea how that is done. :oops:

@Tony Rama - have you thought of asking CW if they can do it?

Guy
C4|C4&W7 BBMF|C5 BOB LE|C6|C7 MkI 47AD|C7 MkII Harrier|C8 MkI|C8 Reg MkII
C8 M2.04 LE|C8 UTC|C9 FLE|C9 Me109 SPC LE|C20 FLE|C40 Speedhawk|C60 K'fisher|C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex|C60 Chrono P'type|C65 Khaki|C65 S'hurst|C65 GMT|C70 x3|C90 PR|C600|C1000

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:24 pm

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:35 pm

What I feel will need to be done is the bezel removed, the fitting / ratchet ring repositioned and the bezel replaced.

Guy
The C6 most definitely has an insert. The most obvious giveaway being that the bezel is polished stainless, while the insert is bead blasted. I don't know as I've ever seen a diver without a bezel insert, as that is the method by which bezels are aligned.

monkeymax
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by monkeymax » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:37 pm

One of my C6s is going in to CW soon and this is something I've asked them to address, so if you haven't found an answer by the time I have it back, I'll let you know on here! (though they are suggesting they will have it for a while)
I know what you mean about on-going love for the C6 though - I've had my Quartz one for 10 years and it's easily the most worn watch I've ever had (and it's not been treated with kid-gloves!).

Tony Rama
Senior
Senior

Post by Tony Rama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:07 pm

The C6 I have doesn't have an insert. It's solid.

Tony Rama
Senior
Senior

Post by Tony Rama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:16 pm

[/quote]
The C6 most definitely has an insert. The most obvious giveaway being that the bezel is polished stainless, while the insert is bead blasted. I don't know as I've ever seen a diver without a bezel insert, as that is the method by which bezels are aligned.
[/quote]

Ah ha! Just had another look at it. I always assumed because it was all stainless that it's solid but it could be an insert, although I've never seen one that sits about a tenth of a mill higher than the bezel. They usually sit flush or slightly lower.

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 29
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 pm

Lavaine wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:35 pm

Guy
I stand corrected; apologies.

You can see it in Tony's photo of his T3 but also in a photo of my blue dial version.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

C4|C4&W7 BBMF|C5 BOB LE|C6|C7 MkI 47AD|C7 MkII Harrier|C8 MkI|C8 Reg MkII
C8 M2.04 LE|C8 UTC|C9 FLE|C9 Me109 SPC LE|C20 FLE|C40 Speedhawk|C60 K'fisher|C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex|C60 Chrono P'type|C65 Khaki|C65 S'hurst|C65 GMT|C70 x3|C90 PR|C600|C1000

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:04 pm

I had forgotten how gorgeous the C6 blue is! I think the bezel (along with the fantastic syringe hands) is what makes the C6 so special. It's unlike any bezel I've seen, and is far more complex than most.

Tony Rama
Senior
Senior

Post by Tony Rama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:28 pm

I have a question. If all divers have bezel inserts, and you have to remove the insert to remove and re-align the bezel, why bother to remove and re-align the bezel? Why not just re-postion the insert to correct the alignment?

Which leads me to the next question. How do you remove the insert?

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by nbg » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:56 pm

Tony Rama wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:28 pm
I have a question. If all divers have bezel inserts, and you have to remove the insert to remove and re-align the bezel, why bother to remove and re-align the bezel? Why not just re-postion the insert to correct the alignment?

Which leads me to the next question. How do you remove the insert?
You are not re-aligning the bezel, you are re-aligning the insert. :)

E.g. If the insert just fell out, all you would have to do is put it back in, ensuring that it was aligned as you wanted it to be.

The advice is generally to remove the whole bezel, complete with insert, because of the greater difficulty in removing the insert (particularly without damaging it!) whilst the bezel is in place.

If you remove the bezel and insert together and turn the bezel over, you will see a small amount of overhang. This will make it easier to remove the insert from the underside. Thumb pressure may be sufficient, or If not you will need to work the bezel off using something thin under the bezel edge and working around until it comes off. May be easy, may be difficult, as I have no idea how the inserts are attached.

Once you have the insert removed you then refit the bezel. The last stage is then to re-align and refit the bezel.

You may end up damaging the insert or not as the case might be. I have no idea on that point! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK

gaf1958
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 30

Post by gaf1958 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:59 am

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Except the C6 doesn't have a bezel insert per se. It is a complete item.
Lavaine wrote:The C6 most definitely has an insert. The most obvious giveaway being that the bezel is polished stainless, while the insert is bead blasted.
You’re both right in some respect, but neither of you is really correct either... :) Guy is probably closer to the truth though.

I’ve pulled C6s apart a few times and they do not have an insert in the usual sense of things.

What they have is actually a two part bezel - the black parts that are visible poking through the metal bezel are an inner bezel that actually has the ratcheting mechanisms built into them.

The outer bezel (the silver part) is all one piece - there is NO bezel insert. What looks like a bezel insert is merely clever machining and finishing on the part of CW, but it is all one solid stainless steel piece. The outer steel part is, in any case, NOT something that plays any part in how the bezel aligns - that’s all down to the black inner bezel.

The black plastic inner bezel has a metal mechanism bonded inside the plastic (which provides longevity for the ratcheting mechanism), but like all bezels, it can only be placed at one click intervals. If it’s not perfectly aligned, the only way to fix that would be to remove the metal ratcheting mechanism from inside the plastic inner bezel and re-fit it in a fractionally different position. I haven’t tried that with mine, and I won’t be, as I’m concerned that removing the ratcheting mechanism will irreversibly damage either the plastic part of the bezel or the ratcheting mechanism itself.

I just grabbed my spare C6 case (yes, there are such things :grin:) and took the outer bezel off and took some shots showing the one piece construction of the outer bezel. I didn’t remove the inner bezel, as that’s a lot more work than the outer one and I couldn’t really be bothered (sorry). The inner bezel as seen here can be rotated just as it can with the steel top part installed.

Hope this helps...

CWL C1+4xC3+7xC6/60+3xC7+C9+C11+7xC60T+5xC65+C70+C600
Omega Ω 7xSpeedy+9xSeamaster+2xConnie+DeVille+Dynamic
Zenith+2xTudor+5xFarer+4xOris+7xMagrette+29xSeiko+9xVtg
B&R+Hamilton+LumTec+Lacroix+Mido+MkII+2xSteinhart+3xVisitor+more
Family 12xCW+2xΩ